Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Last summer my young son and I were anchored out doing some fishing. When it came time to head back home, I retrieved the anchor and just nestled it securely in its place on deck, rather than tying it in. Because, you know, there wasn't much motion on the water and I was expecting an easy sail back, and I knew I'd be laying the anchor out to clean it when we got home.

On the return trip, about 45 minutes total, the wind picked up and we got a nice heel, travelling just under hull speed.

When I pulled into the slip and went forward to tie up, there was my anchor hanging about 60% on the deck an 40% over the toe rail. I felt ill thinking about what could have happened if my boy had been walking around and the anchor fell overboard.

Like most of the worst bonehead maneuvers, it was completely avoidable if I had just done what I knew I should have done.
L124C, oceangirl and titustiger27 like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I would rather learn from someone else's mistakes than my own. The biggest bonehead move I have seen recently cost someone's life and boat (after almost being killed a couple days before making the same mistake).
Basically a guy bought a boat (CAL27) that had been sitting a long time, left on a trip by himself ignoring what the weather said and a gybe almost took his head off.
Then with a serious head injury, after everyone telling him not to leave and more weather warnings (turned out to be 50kt winds w/18ft waves in the strait)...he left anyway. 2 1/2hrs out he sent a mayday, US and Canadian Coast Guard searched for 3 days to no avail. The worst thing about this is that it was 100% avoidable.
Though I didn't learn anything from his mistakes, because I knew better anyway.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 04-12-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I would rather learn from someone else's mistakes than my own.
Learning that is what separates the winners from the losers in the Darwin awards.
One likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-12-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

or the contestants from the spectators and judges.
SloopJonB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8kraft View Post
Yeah, I did that too.

Twice.
First time last weekend.... extra annoying as this was the first time I'd reversed into the slip (ex full keel sailor, took me a while to realise its easier coming in backwards with a finny) and I'd noted the whole shore power connection was now all behind me thinking "I'll have to remember that".

Now the power cable is over the wheel to help me remember...
oceangirl likes this.

Old 04-12-2013

satillasam is on a distinguished road

1983 Newport RI, a few Aussies in town right? Cheap Yankee me wanted to forgo the the dingy fee in town, but had to pick up a friend making it from Chicago. Put the dink under a dock at one of those big houses. 25 words, partied with the Downundies, picked up the friends, got a bit messed up.... tide came up, pinned the poor boat under the dock. sobered up quick after jumping in, tipping it over, hauling it out. OK let's find Das Boot. Over by the fort???
Old 04-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Learning that is what separates the winners from the losers in the Darwin awards.
The difference between ignorance and stupidity:
ignorance we can fix
stupidity is permanent
L124C likes this.
Old 04-14-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

I took a couple friends out in my Chrysler LS 13. I had sailed about on my own and this was my first trip with passengers. Three people on the little boat was probably too much, heading down river on a windless day wasn't very smart, but it wasn't the boneheaded move.

On the boat there are twin keels that lock in place for trailering. I forgot that for some reason.

Launch the boat, everyone is... and I shove off. When I raise the sail, instead of cutting on a tangent ('A Tangent' was the name of the boat) into the wind...it just drifted towards the dock.

O, the keel, I instantly realized and tried to put one down, but it would go.

"We must be stuck on a sandbar" I announced and proceeded to jump over the side --- in the believe I was going to land in a foot of water.

I landed in seven feet of water.

Fortunately I had my hands on the side of the boat. I totally extended underwater, leaving my hat floating on the water and my hands in a death grip.

I yanked myself back up, in one motion, by chance landing my hat on my head.

Looking over...I saw two people suffering from internal injuries trying not to laugh.

"Go ahead and laugh, it's funny," I barked in a none too happy voice.
MarkSF likes this.

Vector X + Y
Old 04-14-2013
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

20 plus years ago I thought Id take out a blonde boomshell for a sail, we cast off and sail away,, well the clothes came off and the bikini came out, she sits on the bow lookin just fine as i stand on the lazaretts to get a better vantage point, the boat decides to jibe, and I found out why they call it a boom!!! As I pick my disorented ass off the cockpit floor 4 or so min. later she was none the wiser what happened,, only a mild concusun but worth it in the long run, as the anchor dropped and so did the clothes
Old 04-20-2013

Last summer I built a new boom gallows 6' x 6" x 2" Silver Bali w/teak cap, 4' long Silver Bali legs, I even had a wood carver care the new name of the boat on it, procured a 7" bronze bell to go opposite the brass Fresnel lens stern light. To make the final cut to fit it so I could through bolt it to the bulwarks I had to put it all together. After trying to hold it in place and mark all the angles my frustration level was starting build. I thenhad to get the boom gallows below decks to cut it, it was heavy and a tight fit going through and down the hatch. I got the angle on the first leg cut perfectly, the secound leg I had to do upside down. backwards, with bad light, glasses falling off, hair in my eyes, hungry, pissed off etc.....finally got the fist cut done, perfectly....but then I cut away the wrong part and I didn't notice that until I had wrestled the gallows back on deck in the wind and rain.
I did make the legs about 3" longer than the other so it is fixable....but sent my stress level through the roof.

I try and learn from other peoples mistakes, but one that I have had to learn fom my own is "when upgrading something, don't get rid of what you are getting rid of until it's replacement is ready and/or you know what you are placeing it will work (also before enbarking on a long project make sure it will actually work in the long run). I removed my old winch mounts, bought a pair of bronze Barient two speed winches and bronze double articulated block, made new winch mounts and am still trying to figure out how to make them fit.
Also replaced the vhf cable and through out the old antenna before I got a new one

Last edited by wolfenzee; 04-20-2013 at 03:58 PM.