Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I would rather learn from someone else's mistakes than my own. The biggest bonehead move I have seen recently cost someone's life and boat (after almost being killed a couple days before making the same mistake).
Basically a guy bought a boat (CAL27) that had been sitting a long time, left on a trip by himself ignoring what the weather said and a gybe almost took his head off.
Then with a serious head injury, after everyone telling him not to leave and more weather warnings (turned out to be 50kt winds w/18ft waves in the strait)...he left anyway. 2 1/2hrs out he sent a mayday, US and Canadian Coast Guard searched for 3 days to no avail. The worst thing about this is that it was 100% avoidable.
Though I didn't learn anything from his mistakes, because I knew better anyway.
The Principle of Natural Selection, hard at work!

Down
SloopJonB likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post

Down
The principle doesn't seem to work with power boaters as much with power boaters as much with sailors (this includes the people whose sailboat is really a power boat with a stick in it). The list of incredibly stupid stuff done by power boaters is too long to warrant the brain space.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 04-21-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've found that people who talk about "driving" their boat are more likely to be stupid and/or ignorant on the water.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I've found that people who talk about "driving" their boat are more likely to be stupid and/or ignorant on the water.
I was watching a 30' power boat try and get into the slip yeasterday, it took 7 people two on the dock supervising, 4 on the dock with lines fighting the guy on the bridge who kept throwing the boat if forward/reverse/forward reverse etc.

Have also seen an equal sized power boat with twin screws and bow thruster, busy playing with three propellers not paying attention to the wind.
Or the guy that is so much of a hurry to get into the fuel dock to let you get out
Or the guy who got a dockline caught in his prop and the other guy, instead of helping him was cussing and swearing at him because he was in his way...I always thought boaters were supposed to help each other, maybe it's just a sailboat thing
Old 05-06-2013
Loxidrome

OxKaufman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to OxKaufman

While sailing down island, years ago (which makes it excusable, right?) we decided to shorten sail as the breeze freshened. As a newbie sailor, I didn't realize that putting a reef in the main only requires securing the luff and leach reefing points/grommets and proceeded to tie those three little lines (meant to keep the now unused portion of the main out of the cockpit) tightly around the boom to hold the foot down tightly to the boom (seemed logical to me). Imagine my surprise and embarrassment when those lines (what are they called?) ripped out the belly of the sail. We had to put in to Bequai and get her sewn up for only $75.
Old 05-06-2013
Loxidrome

OxKaufman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to OxKaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post

Down
Yes, I'd rather be in the harbor, wishing I was out, than out of the harbor wishing I was in!
Old 05-09-2013

Not my biggest, but up there...I bought a pair of bronze 2-speed Barient winches, made winch mounts to fit them and my old single speed winches before I made sure I could reach the places the bolts went...but that wasn't the bonehead move...when pulling into a slip a line got wrapped around one of these unbolted mounts and pulled it over board. Second try with a diver found them and I have already stripped them down in prep for complete cleaning. BTW I can get the bolts to fit, as soon as I can find someone smaller and more flexible than myself.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 05-09-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2013

Chartreuse is on a distinguished road

End of last season, I decided to build and employ a GIN pole for stepping/unstepping the mast on my Grampian 26, because, why am I going to pay $100 to step, and $100 unstep my mast every year when I can do-it-ma-dern-self for free? Build pole, works great, forget to remove shackle on the tabernacle, break cast shoe hinge at the base of the mast. That'll be $200 you knucklehead!

Thanks capt Aaron and others for the quick advice, and link up to klako spars who kindly provided the part!
L124C likes this.

Last edited by Chartreuse; 05-09-2013 at 03:25 AM. Reason: acknowledgment
Old 05-09-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Mast stepping/unstepping is always a time for everyone to be paying attention.

I remember doing something similar to Chartreuse with my Buddy's Rhodes 19'. We were raising/stepping the mast and I was controlling a line which was tied to the forestay which held the mast straight up while my Buddy was dealing with the other shrouds/stays on the deck. Well, I must have gotten distracted because the next thing that happened was the mast came down and bent up the tabernacle. Oops! No one was hurt but the tabernacle had to be reshaped.

Years later I was either stepping or unstepping the mast on the Lightning 19' I owned for a few years. My wife was helping me. Somehow the mast got free and fell, dealing my wife a glancing blow to the head. I am so lucky that we did not end up in the emergency room and that she is still with me.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
The list of incredibly stupid stuff done by power boaters is too long to warrant the brain space.
It doesn't require brain space - that's the whole point.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.