Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Fortunately I have put alot of effort into learning from other peoples mistakes, but most importantly I do learn from my own....some of the stupidest mistakes I have seen were made by people who didn't listen to other peoples suggestions, for some reason or another just not able to take advice from others....I do listen to everything people say and wiegh what they say. Example if two people tell me two conflicting things....think what would happen if I listened to one (and he was wrong) or listened to another (and he was wrong)....which of the two would put you in a compromising situation. My mind is very analytical by nature so I look closely at what people tell me...they may be right (for their application but not mine) or totally clueless or even present me with a jewel of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013

sterilecuckoo58 is on a distinguished road

The principle of OPM is, of course, the heart of this forum. You seem to be a fairly careful and thoughtful person so less likely to have a qualifying entry here. Uh-oh... I see a boneheaded move.... it's over 60F, not raining, and you are not working on your boat!
Old 06-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterilecuckoo58 View Post
The principle of OPM is, of course, the heart of this forum. You seem to be a fairly careful and thoughtful person so less likely to have a qualifying entry here. Uh-oh... I see a boneheaded move.... it's over 60F, not raining, and you are not working on your boat!
I am also 30 miles from my boat...can't get a bus till later this afternoon.....was stuck on the boat all weekend (no buses), need to get food and supplies and make a trip taking stuff to my mini storage....it was raining when I left this morning. I am setting up to get stuff done the rest of the week....including finding people to help me and/or get in contact with my wood worker friend that still has some parts I need (which I will exchange for some other wood work).....fortunately this "nice" weather of partly sunny low 60s will last at least 10 days (though does still rain at night)
Old 06-03-2013

sterilecuckoo58 is on a distinguished road

That's a haul... I couldn't do that, I am forever forgetting something and I don't think the bus would oblige a turn about to go fetch it. Fortunately I was able to get an outdoor spot for my notionally trailerable 24 about 3 minutes from my abode. What a stroke of luck that was. Couldn't do it if the digits were transposed.

Best of luck making headway.
Old 06-03-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hortBu5 View Post
That right there is comedy gold. Like, Larry, Moe, and Curly-grade slapstick. I applaud you.
I had a dock line in hand and took a 30" step to the dock.
My pants leg got stuck on the life line and my step was shortened to 24"
A moment later I am in the water with my elbows on the dock. the dock line still in my hand the boat still unsecured.

I cleated the line and calmed the missus. After a quick look around to confirm no one saw what happened I finished tying off the boat.
I carry a spare set of cloths in my seabag for just such an occurrence.

No pictures it never happened.
TJC45 likes this.

Last edited by davidpm; 06-04-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-04-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Long time ago... I was sailing on Pamlico Sound in the summer, coming back from Jones Bay to Oriental. Listened to the weather radio in the morning - nothing major was going down. Got a late start that day, the wind was light, I was not moving a whole lot. In the late afternoon I realized I'm not going to make it to my marina before the nightfall as the wind just died completely. Picked what I thought was a decent enough anchorage with just a few mosquitoes, dropped the hook and settled in for the night. Around 1 am I woke up to the wind piping up. Turned the radio on and got a small craft advisory for wind and waves. In about half hour it was blowing about 30 mph sustained and the waves started to get large and ugly. My anchorage was apparently very exposed. The anchor was holding fine but the boat movement was so violent I was afraid the line will snap. I dropped a second, smaller anchor just in case. I started getting sea sick. Soon I was puking my guts out. I was in the cockpit, feeding the fish like a champ. I was drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated. I was praying for the dawn to come so I could move to a more protected spot. When dawn came I raised a reefed main and skedaddled out of there. In no time at all I got back to my marina in Whortonsville. What a relief that was. Fortunately, I only lost my shoes that night, and whatever food was there in my stomach. I must have left the shoes on the deck and they were thrown overboard by the violent movement of the boat.
From that day on I listened to weather radio several times a day, and always picked a sheltered anchorage, regardless of how thick the local mosquito population happened to be.
davidpm, oceangirl and TJC45 like this.
Old 06-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterilecuckoo58 View Post
That's a haul... I couldn't do that, I am forever forgetting something and I don't think the bus would oblige a turn about to go fetch it. Fortunately I was able to get an outdoor spot for my notionally trailerable 24 about 3 minutes from my abode. What a stroke of luck that was. Couldn't do it if the digits were transposed.

Best of luck making headway.
I got a place for my boat 0 min from my abode....of course I live on board. Buses are difficult, but I do have a couple of connections who travel between Port Ludow and Port Townsend
Old 07-03-2013

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

There I was sailing my Coronado 25 coastal cruiser behind the keys (somewhere around Largo) in a parade of about 7 other sailboats. I had just sailed 3 days from St. Pete after outfitting for a year to "do the keys". It was a beautiful sailing day in the sun and I had that living like thanksgiving feeling as any young, dumb, and full of ... freespirited guy should have and alls going well in the train of sailboats I was following. My chest was swelling with pride that day I`ll tell you sir. I was in the middle of the pack and doing everything right. I was even following the chart which turned out to be my mistake. I saw the others not do the charted dogleg and thought it slightly odd, but I continued for the dogleg turn accordingly and within a nanosecoond after realizing that I might be the one that was wrong, BAMM! I came to a screeching halt and was hard aground much to the hysterical delight of the 10 g"#d&%# stinkboaters anchored along the shore just waiting for a sucker like me to give them their afternoon entertainment. As I turned my mortified head to see the others sail AROUND the channel markers, a f#¤%ing stinkboater was johnny-on-the-spot with a beer in one hand and throwing me a line with the other under a supressed laughter about how it happens all the time. I didn`t want to accept his help and really wanted to tell him to GF himself, but it happened all too fast. I then continued on like a wet dog with his tail between his legs that just caught pissing on someones carpet. Chalk one up for experience. Better situational awareness was what I sailed away with from that one. There are others, but the pain of that one still haunts me from 20 odd years ago, so it might just be awhile before I post another one.

Fair winds everyone...

Last edited by Andrew65; 07-03-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've seen the exact opposite happen here. Pirates Cove is a very special little hurricane hole in the Gulf Islands. It is very popular but it has an S shaped entrance that is also very narrow. The channel cuts through solid rock and requires very careful piloting, especially at low tide.

I was 4th in line going in it one day, everyone following in line ahead. The first boat cut the corner - CLANG, the second boat followed right along - CLANG, the THIRD boat followed right along - CLANG.

I didn't cut the corner and went through no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I guess it's time for me post here. I wasn't even sailing when this happened!
22nd of June. Left home to get on the boat and a friend is going to meet me later on at the club. I took the club dingy and tied it onto my boat to tow it back to the club docks. I've done this maybe hundreds of times over the years now it's pretty routine.

Climbed aboard.... the key won't turn! ARRRRG.. I tried and tried. So.. jump off and went Baaaaack with the dingy and (it's a 14 foot unsinkable with 6 hp) got some spray stuff.. jump in dink and go back to the boat again and climb aboard!

shhhsst shssst SUCCESS! She starts; just like always. After making sure the dink is secure I walk up release the mooring lines and attach the pick up stick toss them away and clear of the boat. I then walk back, turn the wheel, engage my poor little Hurth hbw 5. and about 10 seconds later; CLUNK, CLACK, SCREEEE! the engine dies.... look down.. HUGE tree stump with root between my prop and rudder! There I was floating down the channel! "don't turn off the key" "don't turn off the key" "don't turn off the key" I'm repeating almost in time with the engine chug chugging.

I never panic, I'm a calm, well centered and rather mentally competent person... Really, I am! I guess I had blonde brain this day. Because there there I am; trying all kinds of fancy; Tie the dink along side and take the old girl back in; Nope.. all we did was spin in the channel, get the air horn.. nope.. need a new re-fill for the horn. Jump up and down on the bow.. No one at the club sees.. some wave. I start calling people with my cell phone; nada, 2 old timers that were at the club come over in the big old fly bridge Chris Craft, I know them! I hold out a line, telling them thanks and glad they came over to help and they yell; :"your ok?" they wave and head down river! (I can see they've had "few")

Meanwhile; I tie a line to bow. "gonna tow her home this time" I'm thinking. Nope.. wind and current were fighting me and all my efforts. I'm getting really overheated and feel like I'm going to actually loose control of this situation ( Clearly, I already lost control)

A few minutes after trying to compose myself; A couple of guys in a bass boat stopped by and they got the wood out; I thanked them profusely. Then I get behind the wheel and put the ole girl in gear again... tow line I had rigged up? It floated under.. and yup! CLUNK, CLACK, SCREEEE! It's wrapped on the prop!

The bass boat guys looked at each other and then at me and I said. "yeah. I know, but could you just stop over at the club and tell anyone I'm in trouble? They will send help." (I hope this, because there's a party going on. ) I was mortified!

Finally a couple of guys from my club came down with his 20 something Renken, and towed me back. Lots of young guys and dads were there on the dock. (it's a graduation party) I'm a mess, shaken, and stirred, and; totally mortified! Got her tied up and finally! I ran down below and tried to put myself together boat is like an oven down there. So I just and just ran and hid in my car until the ac got me cooled off enough to function like person I normally am err think I am!

Later, (3;am actually) after I got my wits, composure, and some dignity back I played with the key again, tapped the starter a few times while in reverse and tugging the line it unwrapped. Whew....

Hey Dumass Denise! The moment the tree trunk stopped you dead in the water all you had to do was drop the hook! But Noooooooooooooooooooo MS High IQ had to prove that one lady, with one little 14 ft 6hp boat can single handedly "save" A 30ft 10,000 lb sailboat alone! :

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-03-2013 at 10:52 PM.