Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Heh.. Well done, Denise!

Last time I got myself flustered like that was heading back to the marina with Mrs H on board after a nice quiet sail on the bay, hence I was in that state of not wanting ANYTHING to rock her boat, shall we say.

Go to start the engine prior to getting the sails down and it just cranks and cranks and doesn't fire. WTF!! I try it again.. and again.. and the marina's getting closer.. I can see Mrs H starting to get nervous.. and I look around and notice the "stop" pulled out. DOH!! Pushed it back in and engine fires up straight away.

I'm sure it happens to the best of us sometimes... but, since I'm not the best, I just wish it didn't happen to me.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-04-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

The stories of our misadventures are entertaining, that`s for sure. What`s more entertaining is the fact that this thread has run for 6 years next week with 106,308 views, but with only 491 brave sailors to come out and share a story. Probably less since there are a few stories from one with some additional comments from others. My hat`s off to those who have contributed. ;-)

Fair winds everyone.....
L124C likes this.

Last edited by Andrew65; 07-04-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Every season, I add another boneheaded move.
here's a compilation:
Dock Six Chronicles: I Remain, Sadly, An Idiot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2013

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road

Using "unnamed" university sailing club 470 racing dinghy. Buddy and I had a few too many beers and were tacking out of the channel towards ocean. Trying to squeeze the max out of each tack by delaying tack until almost to breakwater wall. Hit submerged rip rap near wall. Tore out fin of boat and destroyed much of boats bottom. Limped back to dock avoiding sinking. Put away quietly and was "shocked" to hear later someone had tore out the bottom of the racing dingy. The nerve of some people! This was over 30 years ago and I'm a much more responsible person now. I should have owned up. Sorry.
Old 07-04-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

We're learning our new boat, lots of systems we haven't had before such as an anchor windlass. In our case a nice Lofrans Tigres horizontal with a rope drum. Cool! Now we can use the winch to hoist the inflatable onboard instead of cranking a single-speed 16 winch.

A front was passing through the area and it was a bit blustery. We had drug anchor where we had planned to spend the night so thought we'd check a different cove out only to find it was as bad as the first cove with the williwaws curling down off the nearby mountains. Change of plan, only 8 miles to the harbor so we'll head back to spend the night but first I want to get the dinghy on deck to avoid issues since it's blowing pretty good. I tuck the boat up in the lee of a mountain side out of most of the wind, I'm idling along at about 1 knot and point into the wind and shift to neutral then go forward to help the Admiral get the dink hoisted. We're both concentrating on getting it over the rail (haven't quite perfected the whole using the windlass thing) when out of the corner of my eye I notice the shoreline, the rocky steep shoreline less than 20' from the bow. WOW, this "heavy cruising boat" coasted forever after I slipped her into neutral! I say to the Admiral "Sweetie, lock the clutch on the spin halyard please" and as soon as she does I zip to the cockpit for a bit of reverse to get some movement away from the rocks. We were still in almost 50' of water but I was pretty disappointed that I let myself lose situational awareness. The skipper of the nearby Nordic Tug wasn't very impressed either.
L124C likes this.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road

I was sailling into Midland, ON on Georgian Bay as Watch Officer on a tall ship prior to a major event. Once a week our Captain made eggs to order and he was in the middle of cooking them and didn't want me to tack as they would slide off his griddle.

So we decided to give him a minute and sailed right on out of the channel and straight onto a rock 7 ft underwater. Our boat drew 9 ft.

Watching the news later that day we could see the video of the "Tall Ships Arriving" to port, complete with video clip of our ship sailing beautifully until it came to a dead stop with all the sails luffing.

Not my finest moment.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 08-06-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

Well, too many to rate biggest bonehead move, so i go chronologically.
First time to take a sailboat out alone. Was 19 years old in a cute little compac 19. Maneuvering out of slip, outboard motor stuck in reverse almost hitting a large mega yacht. Finally realized that I couldn't get motor into neutral cause I had the RPMs too high. I then, in a panic, to avoid said mega yacht, threw motor into forward. Now screaming forward, (RPMs too high), I had the helm hard over to avoid rocky shore ahead. I was pretty sure I'd clear the rocks. I did. But I didn't clear the huge tree leaning out over the water. A thick tree branch wrapped around the mast, curling up and over my spreaders. My sailboat was stuck in a tree, good and stuck. A guy on a research vessel docked nearby saw the spectacle, kindly climbed the tree and untangled me. I limped back to the slip, branches and leaves covering my deck. My first solo voyage distance 100 feet.
L124C, Andrew65 and krisscross like this.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Old 08-06-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merit25lovers View Post
Oh, and...

How many times have we all routed the jib sheets on the inside of the shrouds???
My jib sheets always route inside the shrouds. The genoa...that's another story.
Old 08-06-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilsails View Post
I was sailling into Midland, ON on Georgian Bay as Watch Officer on a tall ship prior to a major event. Once a week our Captain made eggs to order and he was in the middle of cooking them and didn't want me to tack as they would slide off his griddle.

So we decided to give him a minute and sailed right on out of the channel and straight onto a rock 7 ft underwater. Our boat drew 9 ft.

Watching the news later that day we could see the video of the "Tall Ships Arriving" to port, complete with video clip of our ship sailing beautifully until it came to a dead stop with all the sails luffing.

Not my finest moment.
How were the eggs?
Minnesail likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-06-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

Buying a pretty little 25 foot sailboat on ebay and then starting home with it down the intracoastal. I was boarded by the Coast Guard before I got to the intracoastal. Lucky I had the proper transfer forms and safety gear on board.

The problem I had was I left without getting the key to the outboard clamp lock from the P.O.

Yup! The outboard came loose and fell into the drink. I recovered it by the grace of God and a stout fuel hose. $300+ and it is good to go again.

Still gettin' the registration sorted, but I have now hired a pro. who says "its no problem". It just costs money and takes time...

Oh, the towing bill was within $500 of what I paid for the boat. I now have UNLIMITED.

Who thinks I didn't want to just go below and play dead that sunny afternoon?

YER WRONG! I sure was tempted to go below and just have a nice rest while the tow boats and barges did their worst, but the mosquitoes wouldn't let me rest. So I put on my big boy pants and called the Coast Guard who got me in touch with TOWBoat US.

All arrived several hours late in the best order that could be expected for such a bone headed blunder!

Have FUN!
O'
TerralTheSeeker likes this.

Last edited by OPossumTX; 08-06-2013 at 06:17 PM.