Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
How were the eggs?
It sounds like there would have been plenty of time to finish cooking them..
Old 08-06-2013

Glenn McCarthy is on a distinguished road

I was drilling a hole right through the middle of the bottom of the boat, a very unnatural feeling, something your brain is screaming at you never to do, in order to install a new thru-hull. Drilling, drilling, drilling, deeper, deeper, deeper. Keep going down the ladder to see where it is going. Duh, right into the wood bolster of the cradle. Had to have the boat picked up with the Travelift and moved a few inches over to finish the job.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I took the WIFE (now ex-wife) sailing when I had my Capri 14.2 We got washed by a motor-boater wake during a huge puff... swamped the boat (but didn't capsize)...

The biggest mistake I made is I didn't just turtle the boat and leave her keester in the middle of the lake right then and there.

Several years of her "allowing" me to own the boat, but not keep it on our acre-plus property should have been enough reason for me to accelerate her becoming my ex. Wait you said sailing bonehead move.
TerralTheSeeker likes this.
Old 08-07-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

last week, we got up early to leave for the final 12 hour leg into toronto. the very first thing I did was to check the oil because it looked like a lot of motoring...checked it even before I had a coffee! A few hours later, my wife came up from the cabin with the oil fill cap in her hand asking "whats this?". Argg... had motored 2 hours without the cap on! fortunately the mess wasn't too bad, nor had i lost more than a quarter of a cup of oil. Bonehead move on my part. lesson learned: always do things slowly and thoughtfully on a sailboat!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn McCarthy View Post
I was drilling a hole right through the middle of the bottom of the boat, a very unnatural feeling, something your brain is screaming at you never to do, in order to install a new thru-hull. Drilling, drilling, drilling, deeper, deeper, deeper. Keep going down the ladder to see where it is going. Duh, right into the wood bolster of the cradle. Had to have the boat picked up with the Travelift and moved a few inches over to finish the job.
Glenn,

Nice story, and a great first place to post. WELCOME TO SAILNET!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 08-09-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

By far the biggest (there have been several) was hitting a very solid rock while motoring into Roche Harbor, WA. Fortunately it didn't destroy the boat and the only injuries were some bruises on my wife's arm. I've thought a lot about this over the years and like most disasters there were several factors that led up to it. Probably number one was overconfidence: I knew the area and had been in the entrance many times. The difference this time was that I was coming in from a slightly different direction and had never noticed the rock clearly marked on the chart, or had noticed it and dismissed it because it wasn't a factor coming from the normal direction we entered from. Number two was being in a hurry ( the root of countless boating mishaps). I also was in a bad mood, and dreading another encounter with the Customs lady there that for some reason had given me a bad time every time we had cleared at Roche. Perfect storm, lesson(s) learned.
L124C and TerralTheSeeker like this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-09-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

I've always avoided Customs in Roche for the reasons you described above (although they have always been nice to me)

I think I know the rock you are talking about. I had forgotten about it once on an unusual exit from Roche..

Realized I had gotten lucky right after I passed it..

Sorry you weren't lucky like me, John!
TerralTheSeeker likes this.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 08-10-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
By far the biggest (there have been several) was hitting a very solid rock while motoring into Roche Harbor, WA. Fortunately it didn't destroy the boat and the only injuries were some bruises on my wife's arm. I've thought a lot about this over the years and like most disasters there were several factors that led up to it. Probably number one was overconfidence: I knew the area and had been in the entrance many times. The difference this time was that I was coming in from a slightly different direction and had never noticed the rock clearly marked on the chart, or had noticed it and dismissed it because it wasn't a factor coming from the normal direction we entered from. Number two was being in a hurry ( the root of countless boating mishaps). I also was in a bad mood, and dreading another encounter with the Customs lady there that for some reason had given me a bad time every time we had cleared at Roche. Perfect storm, lesson(s) learned.
Wow! I would have assumed in the developed world, a nav hazard in the approach to a harbor would be marked. I mean, at least two of you in this thread have had encounters with this rock, and both of you are familiar with the harbor. Imagine how many others have hit it!
Note to self: Don't assume ANYTHING! Thanks!
Old 08-10-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilsails View Post
I was sailling into Midland, ON on Georgian Bay as Watch Officer on a tall ship prior to a major event. Once a week our Captain made eggs to order and he was in the middle of cooking them and didn't want me to tack as they would slide off his griddle. So we decided to give him a minute and sailed right on out of the channel and straight onto a rock 7 ft underwater. Our boat drew 9 ft.

Watching the news later that day we could see the video of the "Tall Ships Arriving" to port, complete with video clip of our ship sailing beautifully until it came to a dead stop with all the sails luffing. Not my finest moment.
Quote:
How were the eggs?
I'm guessing....scrambled!
Old 08-10-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Wow! I would have assumed in the developed world, a nav hazard in the approach to a harbor would be marked. I mean, at least two of you in this thread have had encounters with this rock, and both of you are familiar with the harbor. Imagine how many others have hit it!
Note to self: Don't assume ANYTHING! Thanks!
Prince William Sound in Alaska has many hazards that are no longer correctly displayed on charts since the '64 earthquake. There are vast areas where the bottom either came up or dropped by several feet. Rocks that may note +5 at MLLW are in reality +10 or more.....

On our recent trip neither the chart and the very detailed cruising guide we were using showed a rock in the entrance to an anchorage. We didn't see it when we entered, the next day exiting (using the GPS to trace our inbound route) we passed within 15' of a very large rock that was covered by only a couple of feet of water.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

The Following User Says Thank You to sailak For This Useful Post:
L124C (08-11-2013)