Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013

dave c is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Tie between leaving extra battery cables disconnected and starting a mini boat fire and sailing home from the Forida Keys in Biscayne Bay single handed in a 50 knot microburst and getting scared then trying to anchor. Got all beat up and the anchor did not hold so I had to pull it up and get underway again in all that weather. Trying to pull an anchor up in 50 knot winds with no windlass while slamming all over the place was the worst.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2013
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27

Therapy23

http://morainesailingclub.org/websit...ay_9-11-10.jpg

This happened around 1973 (my post above), I see that the park stopped renting sailboats. However, they have two different clubs that offer sailboat activity's.

The sailboat that I tried to sail was very similar to the one in the link above. Its the one on the right with 1645 on the sail, no cabin.

Avery

Last edited by HighFly_27; 09-01-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2013

skattered82 is on a distinguished road

Hi All - new member here from down under. I love this thread so had to share my own.

Recently bought a "new" boat - the missus and I were taking her for a sail, was blowing only about 15knots. The missus is very much the amateur and this is the largest yacht I have owned (valiant 40). Sailing up Sydney harbour, gooseneckng with the wind directly behind. All of a sudden - steering wheel goes stiff. I have no steering - which I calmly inform my first mate. I start the motor - we are now heading straight for land (still 200m away or so) but finding it hard to alter course. Drop the jib... Struggling with the mainsail then I hear this "beep beep beep" from the starboard cockpit. I look down - autopilot is engaged and is alerting me to being off course...

First mate had leant on the autopilot and unbeknownst to her or me, had selected our course for land!... Hence "losing steering". I switched it off, regained control, dropped the main and put the boat back on the mooring. We decided that that day was not our day to go sailing. The autopilot (which is wired with the rest of the instruments unfortunately) is now covered at all times inshore!

Happy sailing!
davidpm likes this.
Old 09-02-2013

skattered82 is on a distinguished road

For all the non-metrics - 200m means 200 meters, not 200 miles!
Old 09-02-2013

Skattered82

I'm chuckling & smiling to myself. I say this... because it happened to me and I suspected that your autopilot was engaged or something lodged in your steering control system.

However, my control lock up was not on a sailboat. I had a twin engine Apache with a Century 3 autopilot. It had two control rods in the control box that you pushed in to engage the autopilot. I was in a hurry to get going and missed the fact that one of the control rods was pushed in. So, off I go and when I tried to bank (after take off) the Apache ... it was locked up. I could just over (a lot of force) ride the clutch system (barely). I was freaking out, I was looking outside at the ailerons.. saw nothing wrong. I was thinking that something... a cable was off of one of the pulleys or something like that. I was thinking.. can I get this airplane back on the ground. I was worried about putting it in a bank and not getting it back out to straight & level. I made a shallow turn and was setting myself up for the longest runway. I was holding off from declaring a emergency. After I got the aircraft lined up for approach.. I had a moment to relax. I glance up at the autopilot and saw one of the control rods pushed in. I pulled it out like a lighting bolt and felt like a complete idiot. I never messed up again and refused to be in a hurry. I followed the checklist to the letter.

Last edited by HighFly_27; 09-03-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-03-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
I never messed up again and refused to be in a hurry. I followed the checklist to the letter.
Everyone has a story like that, the day we all learned firsthand why there is a checklist. We are all taught the value of them, but we don't learn the true value until we forget something we should have done. That said, it still blows me away how many airplanes I get into that have it stuffed away somewhere inaccessible and no one using it. I guess they didn't have their moment yet. In our airplane, we had our checklist laminated and attached to the pilot side yoke.

My moment wasn't very dramatic, I tend to learn my lessons pretty quick, doesn't need to be big and scary. We were on the ramp running up and the engine died, wouldn't crank again. I kept trying and trying. For about 15-20 minutes, then I happened to look down at the fuel selector and realized it was in the off position. Oops.

BTW I love Apaches. I think they are really neat airplanes.
Old 09-03-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

There is a rock just upriver from the mooring field; everyone knows about it. I certainly knew about it. I see it every low tide. I kissed it coming in Sunday night. Not just peck on the cheek; I kissed it like I had just bought it a lobster dinner.

My wife, her brother, his wife and their 6 year old were on board. Could have been worse, certainly could have been better. Oh yeah, it was raining buckets so the girls were below. They tell me it was loud.

No sign of leaks so far.

sigh
davidpm likes this.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2013

Shinook,

I have to laugh again. I was in the PA National Guard in the early 70's. They had some old.
helicopters, were hand me downs from the active duty Army. I was drilling on the weekend and had started my shut down and was about to kill the engine. I saw a man coming up to the side of the aircraft. I opened the door and he handed me a note. It said... pick up the commander and fly him to Harrisburg for a commanders meeting (ASAP).

I needed gas and needed to hover to the fuel pumps and shut down again. I refastened my seat belt, took the stick friction/ locks off, etc. . I forgot one important item -- fuel shut off. I started to throttle up and it sputtered, as soon as I heard it.. I moved the shut off to the open position. If I had lifted off for flight and was caught in the dead mans zone of 75/ 3oo feet; I would have had a hard landing and tore up the helicopter. It was gas powered and if a bad crash, would have caught on fire and I'd be a crispy critter.

This is before the autopilot deal in the Apache and I followed the check list most of the time, it's a military training thing. Forgot to mention the museum piece I was flying .. OH-23D Hiller, 3 place. The MASH TV show had the Bell 13, this is a twin sister.. just a different manufacturing company.

So, the next major item is -- "Distraction's, " if you are distracted, start over from the place in the checklist that pertains to the operation you are performing i.e. pre-light, run up, cruise, descent, pre-landing, final landing checks, shut down... will save your bacon.

The military teaches a sterile (means No B.S.) cockpit below 10,000 feet. This is good idea, lots going on in a turbo prop or jet, lots of air traffic to ID, cockpit checks, it's really busy, this is a airline standard too.

I had my Apache for 8 years and loved it. I took on a partner and it was Not a good partnership... drove me crazy. I was not looking for a partnership.. he looked me up, was down ward spiral. I got out of the partnership and bought a Cessna 310-B. I liked the 178 K speed over the Apache 148 K speed. I did not like (1/2 fuel) the wing rock from gas in the tanks in rough air while on approach. I did not like the oil consumption of the O-470 Continental's, they'd burn 2 or 3 qts. per 2 or 3 hour trip. The O-320 Lycoming's would burn 1 qt. in a 2 or 3 hour flight.

I sold the 310 and it become a drug airplane. The Fed's called me and asked if I knew the man I sold it to. I said No, I listed it in Trade a Plane, he called me, we discussed the price, we agreed to it. He brought me a Cashier's check, I signed the papers, he flew away. After the telephone Fed. drill... I was told that the 310 was used to transport drugs. The Fed. said, it looks like you have No Involvement.. thanks for your time. I was in the military at Fort Bragg, NC. I did not have a telephone listed in my name and they called me at my unit. I had used my apartment telephone number and the phone was listed in my friend's name. This was in 1982, Big Brother can find you in a heart beat.
oceangirl likes this.

Last edited by HighFly_27; 09-03-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 09-13-2013

macswift is on a distinguished road

I can't believe that anyone has done anything more stupid than this:~
The Skipper of the Sailboat 'Alacazam' Does Something Really Stupid
Old 09-13-2013

mattt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Everyone has a story like that, the day we all learned firsthand why there is a checklist.
Hah. I keep a spreadsheet of all my sailing trips. It includes a few things about each trip, but the most notable feature of each row is the "Lessons learned" field. Every trip has a lesson learned. The very first trip says:

Don't rush the checklist. EVER!!!