Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macswift View Post
I can't believe that anyone has done anything more stupid than this:~
The Skipper of the Sailboat 'Alacazam' Does Something Really Stupid
That is certainly pretty stupid - it would be kind of dumb even at the dock - but he compounded it by calling his wife instead of screaming "Man overboard".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yup that is on the short list for an honorable mention at the Darwin Awards ceremony.
Old 09-16-2013

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Funny (because he lived to tell the story).
Old 09-21-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

What a great story though! The guy is a good writer and very funny.
Lol at the mermaid sequence.
Old 09-25-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I think my biggest Bone head move was around 1993. I was sailing back from Belize to Key West. After spending 3 day's hove to in the straights of Fla. in a wicked norther, I spotted the lights of Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas off my port bow. The norther hit me 40 miles south of Key West and I had drifted 70 miles to the west, up current and wind, on more of a slow close hulled situation than an actual heaving. Long story short, I sailed through the night across the coral studded and shoal ridden Tortugas, thinking I was between Rebecca Shoal and the Fort, when I was actually about 20 miles west of that line. Fatigue and complacency put me north and west of the Fort at day break when I thought I would be able to tack and head in, I instead had to spend the whole next day circumnavigating the Tortugas and reaproach. This was of course when GPS had just become available and I certinaly could'nt afford an 1800 dollar hand held. I still shuttter to think of how and why I did'nt hit anything that night. I had an RDF back then, and should have pulled it out to get a fix. Should-a would-a could-a.
L124C, davidpm and oceangirl like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 09-26-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2014
Blue Hawaii at dusk

chrissailorman is on a distinguished road

Not too big a bonehead move....sailing Blue Hawaii. along one warm summer night on Narrow Bay, near Smith Point, Long Island, with two friends, one, first time sailing with me...tide was up, maybe a quarter moon....( my HS English teacher would have loved that sentence...fragment?), noticed some texture on the water ahead. Thinking it was a slight puff I continued ahead...but something didn't look quite right.... Suddenly, thud! ...came to a halt, aground on the shore of a small submerged island...Duh... The "texture" was the top of grasses sticking up above the water at high tide....whoops! Took about 20 minutes to get unstuck...had driven my stubby keel right into the mud, which didn't seem to want to let go. Finally tried turning my outboard 90 degrees to starboard which succeeded in breaking the suction death hold the mud had us locked in and we were back up and sailing in no time! Now all I hear is..."gee that water ahead looks a bit strange" whenever I see those two guys...
davidpm and TerralTheSeeker like this.
Old 03-17-2014
Blue Hawaii at dusk

I guess my biggest bonehead move was this... I was sailing alone, late one afternoon, mid November, on Moriches bay...me and my Chrysler Lone Star 16.. It was a perfect sailing day. As the sun began to fade...so did the wind...so I dropped sail...and started my little 2 hp Tohatsu and began to motor in, off the bay, enjoying the smooth water and the setting sun...until, silence...the motor died... I checked the self contained fuel tank and saw it had fuel in it...so tried restarting the motor. It started but ran only briefly before dying again....this happened 3 or 4 times before I gave up, resigned to try to paddle in. Guess what...it's not easy to paddle a 16. Being mid November and at dusk...there was no one else on the bay to tow me in....after about 45 minutes of stressful paddling, I made it to shore and tied up at a local yacht club...called my wife to come pick me up. The next day when I came back to see why things didn't work well the night before, I checked the tank in the motor. Aha! The fuel I saw when I checked the tank in the dim twilight the night before turned out to be only about half a cup of gasoline sitting in a small recess in the bottom of the tank! In the dim light it had looked like half a tank! So all that happened was I had run out of gas...and, of course, I had plenty of gas available on board...go figure... Lesson learned. Always top off a self contained tank before going out...the arms you save, may be your own...Live and learn!
L124C and TerralTheSeeker like this.
Old 03-17-2014
Blue Hawaii at dusk

Can you stand one more?
This was back when
I was learning how to sail. Self taught and had read lots on the subject. It was only my second time out on my Sunfish...a brisk day and having a hard time of things decided to quit for the day. I headed for shore, ripped off my PFD and threw it in the well and started to drag the boat onto the beach, when I decided not to quit and give it one more try....I jumped in and headed out screaming on a broad reach when I decided to come about and head back for shore...except instead of coming about, into the wind...I gybed...time to learn about the best way to come around. Well of course I dumped the boat and myself promptly into the choppy bay..no problem, just stand on the centerboard and bring my fish back up...think again! Try as I may it would not come up.. Several times I tried but to no avail.. To make matters worse I was now totally exhausted and just hanging on to the boat...you know no one came to help me because I'm just a Sunfish and this happens all the time....one minor problem....when I had decided to quit, remember, I had ripped off and tossed my PFD and when I decided on one more try...guess what I didn't do...yup....floating alongside my sunfish, exhausted and no PFD on...thought I was gonna die in full view of dozens of people...fortunately a friend finally saw I needed help, having a runabout on the beach he came out and rescued me... The problem turned out to be that when I went over...the rig got tangled in such a way that the sail became a virtual bucket filled with water preventing me from righting that little fish. Many lessons learned....come about into the wind unless it's very light...never sail without a PFD ..and give up before you get in trouble on a bad day.
Three days later spent 5 hours just practicing going out and coming about the right way, into the wind, until it became a natural maneuver to me.. Haven't capsized a Sunfish since that day
TerralTheSeeker likes this.
Old 03-19-2014

fstuart is on a distinguished road

I have had so many. Sailing off the dock with the Electric cord still plugged in Never did that had friends that did. For me probably going along with an anchor in very large high tide water set to go to very low tide. I just said it looked fine to me We spent 3 hrs on our side waiting for high tide. But It wasn't my boat and we had more than 100 yrs of experience on board between 3 of us. That was pretty embarrassing luckily no damage
TerralTheSeeker likes this.
Old 04-29-2014
Lake Hack

Clarks Hill Windbag is on a distinguished road

I'm sure there will be more bonehead moves to come, but I have less than a year into sailing so the best to date:

With a few sails on my Montego 19, I took former princess out for an overnight stay on Strom Thurmond. We (I) rigged and launched the boat, noticed that no sailboats from the Augusta Yacht Club were taking advantage of the beautiful afternoon sailing weather.

Well - they just had to have dock candy, right? Why have a boat and not sail? I guess they discovered Windfinder long before I did, because the "Better to be docked than wishing you were docked" adage is worth heeding.

Anyway, princess and I headed out into the open water, planning on anchoring when the sun set, and breaking in the new boat. We struck out, and noticed a squall line coming from the west. No worries, we have plenty of time - sailboats can outrun weather, right?

Wrong! Princess is given tiller duty (now I use the gas can, way less mouthy) as a hellacious thunderstorm bears down on us. A powerboat buzzes us heading in as I've let the sheets go and am on the bow pulling down the jib. The main is pinned to the shrouds, no chance to hang it from topping lift, so drop it and let boom fall into cockpit. I secure main to boom, hang from topping lift, and sight nearest island for anchorage. The island is close, so I fire up the outboard, and away we go. For zero feet.

Did the prop fall off? Nope, the shear pin failed trying to wind up the mainsheet that was not secured by a stop knot. Paddle power to island, frowny night with no breaking in of boat.

Next morning, Wawmart rope for temporary mainsheet, and a straightened bungee cord end for a replacement shear pin, and we were underway. It was great fun changing the shear pin sitting on 2 flotation cushions in the water.

As soon as we could get back to the ramp, we (I) loaded up the boat.

Princess is out in the world somewhere, probably looking for a powerboating guy.