Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014
Jimmy Buffett 4 Prez 2016

TerralTheSeeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TerralTheSeeker
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I keep wanting to try getting up in that channel with my 5 foot draft, but I always chicken out.

It's really tight going in next to Sherman cover but at least there are buoys for keeping out of trouble, but the cove on the OTHER side of Robertson Island (is it really named that or did somebody happen to insert their own name into Google maps?) where everybody likes to snuggle in at anchor right next to the beach - well that's the one with the real pucker factor and with my lack of experience it's a mystery me how people manage to get so many sailboats in there (biguns, too) with no problem.

This last time I stayed in the big part of Big Lagoon and followed a 40-footer in close to shore and anchored nearby. I figured if they knew what they were doing with their draft then I should have no problem.

Lesson learned. I'm going to be taking detailed charts of that lagoon tomorrow when I take some friends out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please Help - Boatless War Vet
Will Grind For Beer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I was helping someone move a Hunter 25.5 once and we left the key in the ignition (which I still do now on my boat). We were tacking through a narrow inlet, in a stiff breeze, when the mainsheet somehow hung up on the ignition key, yanking it out of the ignition switch and launching it a good 30 feet or so into the drink.
I remember watching it arc over into the water and sink, and turning to the captain and asking, "You don't happen to have a spare key on board, do you?" and instantly knowing from the look on his face, that he didn't.
While the odds of this happening are next to nil, my key gets bent if I leave it in the ignition while sailing. I have a hook inside the companionway where I hang it when not motoring. I also have a float on the key, but doubt you would have recovered it in your situation. THAT would be one impressive MOB (or KOB) maneuver!
Old 06-06-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerralTheSeeker View Post
This last time I stayed in the big part of Big Lagoon and followed a 40-footer in close to shore and anchored nearby. I figured if they knew what they were doing with their draft then I should have no problem.

Lesson learned. I'm going to be taking detailed charts of that lagoon tomorrow when I take some friends out.
We have a sweet little hurricane hole here - Pirates Cove - that has a very narrow S shaped entrance through a rock channel. I was 4th in line going in once with the 3 in front following each other in line astern. The first one hit - "Clang" followed by a second "Clang" and then a third "Clang".

Fortunately for me, I knew my way in and didn't join the herd.

Assuming the other guy knows what he's doing is one of the worst mistakes one can make - in ANY field.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
The Following User Says Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
TerralTheSeeker (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014
Jimmy Buffett 4 Prez 2016

TerralTheSeeker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to TerralTheSeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
We have a sweet little hurricane hole here - Pirates Cove - that has a very narrow S shaped entrance through a rock channel. I was 4th in line going in once with the 3 in front following each other in line astern. The first one hit - "Clang" followed by a second "Clang" and then a third "Clang".

Fortunately for me, I knew my way in and didn't join the herd.

Assuming the other guy knows what he's doing is one of the worst mistakes one can make - in ANY field.

That literally made me spit Sprite out of my mouth. Point taken, and I will definitely keep your story in mind lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please Help - Boatless War Vet
Will Grind For Beer
Old 06-27-2014

GoMan is on a distinguished road

I figured I would get this out of the way on my first post. I recently purchased a 1969 Bristol 24 have been taking her out as often as possible to sail around the bay near my hometown of Sarasota, FL. My only previous experience with sailing was a summer youth sailing program when I was around age 12. I'm 32 now so I retained little more than basic terminology. After going out for the first trip with a friend who is an excellent sailor my buddy and I felt pretty confident taking her out on our own. We've had 5 or so trips without any incidents aside from the occasional failed tack and the like. Well, our luck changed starting last Saturday evening. I rowed out to my boat in the mooring field with the intention of moving my outboard to the dinghy so I could flush it out and make sure everything was in good order before heading out into the Gulf of Mexico the following day. I did a bad job securing the dinghy to the side and when I stepped down it shot out from under me. Needless to say, the motor and I went went into the drink. I couldn't swim to the surface while holding the engine so I had to let it sink into 13' of murky water. It's been almost a week and we still can't find it.
I met up with my buddy for our trip out to the gulf the following day. After telling him about the mishap with the outboard we spent bout an hour snorkeling around and diving but were unable to spot it. We've gotten pretty good at sailing right off the mooring on the way out and catching it on the way back so we decided to head out. On our way out of the mooring field I misjudged how close I was going to come to a moored sailboat, by the time I realized it was too late. I ended up sailing right between the other boat and it's mooring ball. Miraculously we avoided hooking any lines with the rudder but the dinghy I was pulling behind caught the bow lines of the other boat and pulled us damn near cheek to cheek before it broke loose. We recovered from that and got back underway. Only moments later I was in the same situation but this time heading towards a channel marker which I also felt we would be able to squeak by. Nope. After the square marker gently kissed the mainsail and we were almost clear, the topping lift slipped in behind the piece of plywood and we got hung up. So here we are in the channel on a Sunday afternoon while every power boat owner in town blasts us with their wake as they speed by laughing at the two idiots stuck to the channel marker. It took me about 5 minutes or so to remember that the topping lift passes through a block at the top of the mast and is cleated off at the bottom. I broke that loose and we were able to free ourselves, straighten the boom and get back underway.
We figured it was best to take her back to the mooring and give thanks to every god of the sea we could think of. After we got tied up we went for a swim and sat on board going over what went wrong and how to avoid it in the future. Once we got our energy back we decided to head back out and try to redeem ourselves. This time we set off on a different course to check out the part of the bay we hadn't ventured into yet. According to our interpretation of the chart we determined as long as we stayed 100 yards or so off the shoreline and avoided the shallows in the middle of the bay it would be easy going. I'll just cut to the chase and say we ended up too close to shore and ran up on a mucky shoal and came to a stop. At first we decided to just wait for the tide to come in and hope there was enough water to float her off. After we realized that high tide was around midnight and it was only 6pm it would have been a while. So I tied a long line to the bow hoping I could pull the bow around to point back the way we came. About 20 minutes of tugging on that line while my buddy rocked the boat along with a few helpful wakes from passing boats and we had the bow pointing in the right direction. If I let go of the line the current would push the bow around, so while I held the line I coached my buddy on trimming the sails. We caught a nice puff of wind and she slid right out of the muck. I shouted to my buddy to straighten the tiller and when he grabbed a hold of it and gave a yank it came off in his hand. He shouts "the tiller just broke" and I yell back " grab onto what's left and get that rudder straight before she loops back into that muck!". Well, he gets it straight and as the boat is picking up speed I tossed the rope up on deck, flopped up into the dinghy and climbed aboard. We sailed the 15 minutes or so back to the mooring field and when we got there we pulled off a mooring with no engine that would have made Joshua Slocum shed a tear. It was perfect.

Here's what I learned from all that. 1.) Don't move heavy stuff on or off the boat alone. Especially if the damn dinghy isn't secure. 2.) Take advantage of the fact that there is an entire ocean to maneuver in. There's no point in trying to squeak by anything. 3.) Be mindful of the current. It can lead you to misjudge where you'll end up once you reach the object you're trying to avoid. 4.) Try not to run aground

Sorry if this post was too long. I just felt I had to get it out there. We're going to give it another go this weekend and hopefully I'll having nothing new to add to this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoMan For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (06-28-2014)
Old 06-27-2014
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

You Go Man.
No one is hurt yet though most of that is 101 or maybe 102.

Have fun out there.
GoMan likes this.
Old 06-27-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I gotta admit that was a lot worse than my worst day afloat.

When I move an outboard between dinghy and big boat I always put a halyard on it before loosening the clamps.
GoMan likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-27-2014

WGEwald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
When I first got my boat I sailed through the Race where there were a bunch of guys in small boats fishing. I assumed that they were NOT anchored, but drifting and casting their lines... I and sailed right through them and snagged one guys anchor line which we had to cut. Ruined his day of fishing. I was embarrassed. I got his name and addy and sent him money for new ground tackle. Who would anchor in the race near Race Point? he did! Live and learn.

jef
sv shiva
Did almost the same thing one foggy night. Fishing boats anchored with running lights on. My cousin Henry was at the helm at the time and he expertly weaved his way through the fleet. As we exited the crowd, he turned to me, with glasses misted over and boomed, "You better take her, Bill. I can't see a damn thing!"

Last edited by WGEwald; 06-27-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2014

WGEwald is on a distinguished road

Then there was the time I motored up the Gowanus Canal thinking I was in the East River. :-(
Old 06-28-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMan View Post
I figured I would get this out of the way on my first post. I recently purchased a 1969 Bristol 24 have been taking her out as often as possible to sail around the bay near my hometown of Sarasota, FL. My only previous experience with sailing was a summer youth sailing program when I was around age 12. I'm 32 now so I retained little more than basic terminology. After going out for the first trip with a friend who is an excellent sailor my buddy and I felt pretty confident taking her out on our own. We've had 5 or so trips without any incidents aside from the occasional failed tack and the like. Well, our luck changed starting last Saturday evening. I rowed out to my boat in the mooring field with the intention of moving my outboard to the dinghy so I could flush it out and make sure everything was in good order before heading out into the Gulf of Mexico the following day. I did a bad job securing the dinghy to the side and when I stepped down it shot out from under me. Needless to say, the motor and I went went into the drink. I couldn't swim to the surface while holding the engine so I had to let it sink into 13' of murky water. It's been almost a week and we still can't find it.
I met up with my buddy for our trip out to the gulf the following day. After telling him about the mishap with the outboard we spent bout an hour snorkeling around and diving but were unable to spot it. We've gotten pretty good at sailing right off the mooring on the way out and catching it on the way back so we decided to head out. On our way out of the mooring field I misjudged how close I was going to come to a moored sailboat, by the time I realized it was too late. I ended up sailing right between the other boat and it's mooring ball. Miraculously we avoided hooking any lines with the rudder but the dinghy I was pulling behind caught the bow lines of the other boat and pulled us damn near cheek to cheek before it broke loose. We recovered from that and got back underway. Only moments later I was in the same situation but this time heading towards a channel marker which I also felt we would be able to squeak by. Nope. After the square marker gently kissed the mainsail and we were almost clear, the topping lift slipped in behind the piece of plywood and we got hung up. So here we are in the channel on a Sunday afternoon while every power boat owner in town blasts us with their wake as they speed by laughing at the two idiots stuck to the channel marker. It took me about 5 minutes or so to remember that the topping lift passes through a block at the top of the mast and is cleated off at the bottom. I broke that loose and we were able to free ourselves, straighten the boom and get back underway.
We figured it was best to take her back to the mooring and give thanks to every god of the sea we could think of. After we got tied up we went for a swim and sat on board going over what went wrong and how to avoid it in the future. Once we got our energy back we decided to head back out and try to redeem ourselves. This time we set off on a different course to check out the part of the bay we hadn't ventured into yet. According to our interpretation of the chart we determined as long as we stayed 100 yards or so off the shoreline and avoided the shallows in the middle of the bay it would be easy going. I'll just cut to the chase and say we ended up too close to shore and ran up on a mucky shoal and came to a stop. At first we decided to just wait for the tide to come in and hope there was enough water to float her off. After we realized that high tide was around midnight and it was only 6pm it would have been a while. So I tied a long line to the bow hoping I could pull the bow around to point back the way we came. About 20 minutes of tugging on that line while my buddy rocked the boat along with a few helpful wakes from passing boats and we had the bow pointing in the right direction. If I let go of the line the current would push the bow around, so while I held the line I coached my buddy on trimming the sails. We caught a nice puff of wind and she slid right out of the muck. I shouted to my buddy to straighten the tiller and when he grabbed a hold of it and gave a yank it came off in his hand. He shouts "the tiller just broke" and I yell back " grab onto what's left and get that rudder straight before she loops back into that muck!". Well, he gets it straight and as the boat is picking up speed I tossed the rope up on deck, flopped up into the dinghy and climbed aboard. We sailed the 15 minutes or so back to the mooring field and when we got there we pulled off a mooring with no engine that would have made Joshua Slocum shed a tear. It was perfect.

Here's what I learned from all that. 1.) Don't move heavy stuff on or off the boat alone. Especially if the damn dinghy isn't secure. 2.) Take advantage of the fact that there is an entire ocean to maneuver in. There's no point in trying to squeak by anything. 3.) Be mindful of the current. It can lead you to misjudge where you'll end up once you reach the object you're trying to avoid. 4.) Try not to run aground

Sorry if this post was too long. I just felt I had to get it out there. We're going to give it another go this weekend and hopefully I'll having nothing new to add to this thread.
Welcome to Sailnet GoMan...

You certainly entered with a bang for sure...

It wasnt too long at all. Matter of fact..you couldnt of entered better.

Andrew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.