Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Anyone intersted in HOW NOT TO USE A DANFORTH????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Anyone intersted in HOW NOT TO USE A DANFORTH????
This is Giu's way of asking, "Pull my finger...".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-03-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Also, please remember that the first person in an anchorage has their pick, and if you arrive later, you have to accommodate the choices they made, since they were there first.
It is pretty difficult to know what rode someone has used unless you are in a position to ask them. I would assume 10-1, or at least allow for it. In NC waters it is shallow enough not to usually be an issue, but if you are in 30 feet of water it can be.
Old 08-03-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagster View Post
Keep worrying about it, the nervousness is good for keeping you from sleeping too heavily. ;-) I like to wake up once or twice in the middle of the night and check on things when at anchor. At the very least pop my head out of the hatch and make sure the last visual marker I recall is still in roughly the same spot.
Every time I ask my wife if she wants to sleep on the hook, her immediate response is, "NO, you never sleep when we are anchored."

I have since found a small bay on our protected lake, about 8 - 10 feet of mud bottom. Now, when we anchor there, I sleep like a baby.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
It is pretty difficult to know what rode someone has used unless you are in a position to ask them. I would assume 10-1, or at least allow for it. In NC waters it is shallow enough not to usually be an issue, but if you are in 30 feet of water it can be.
Asking is generally a good idea, but you can't always do that. However, I wouldn't automatically assume a 10:1 scope, especially if they're anchored with an all-chain rode, which usually requires far less scope. If they're on a rope rode, then assuming 10:1 is probably wise, but from what I've seen, most people don't use that much scope under normal conditions.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-03-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
This is Giu's way of asking, "Pull my finger...".

He is in downstate Indiana, not much happening there.
A Portugese Sailor, land locked in Indiana, there has got to be a good oportunity for a photo shop there. Please someone with the skills of photo shop, do your thing.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-03-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
For us, the first question we have when we come to a new anchorage is whether others are hanging on one or two anchors. Here in St. Augustine with the current ripping through pretty fast, it is a good idea to have two set. One with the incoming and one with the outgoing tide. I personally like two. It is hard for me to ask an anchor to reset itself four times a day and rely on its ability to do so. We generally stick to 5:1 to 7:1. I also have the uncanny ability to wake up for each tide change. Not sure why or how this happens but I am very consistant. MISTRESS starts her swing and I wake up. I do the head run, check out the area to see how everyone is swinging, and then fall fast a sleep again.

If when we arrive most are on one hook and we wish to set two, we will anchor away from everyone else because we will obviously not swing the same way.

Sailingdog says; This is Giu's way of asking, "Pull my finger..."
Thanks for the heads up.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 08-03-2007
Telstar 28

SchoonerMistress-

It wouldn't be fair not to warn you... the results aren't pretty... Giu is a twisted individual. Much worse on-line than in-person for some reason.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-05-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Just remember folks. That before you anchor; Be sure that the other end of the anchor rode, be it chain or line, is well secured to your vessel.
Or you will going back to port to acquire another anchor & rode. LOL
Old 08-05-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
15' of chain ? No wonder you need to use 10:1 scope. For normal coastal , harbour stuff we use 35 metres of chain. While I'm prepared to let it all out plus the line if necessary we sit more than happily to 3:1 . That's in conditions from 'mill pond' up to 'who was the idiot who chose this anchorage'. Beyond that we have needed 5:1 on a couple of occasions.

Previous boat had less chain and more line and we did drag on a few occasions. With Raven we have never dragged, even in conditions when others were being dragged all over the shop.

(PB set a Danforth. ptooey. Now CQR and more than happy.)

Unless it's to reduce weight I cannot understand why you would use only 15' of chain when it's the chain that does most of the work.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett