Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007

jimmd is on a distinguished road
jibe preventer

any good sketches around for a simple preventer for accidental jibes?i really don't like dead runs but would like to be ready if the situation calls for it. boat is only 23 feet long.
thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can use a simple preventer line, run from a forward point on the boat back to the boom, but you would have to undo this line each time you gybe or the wind shifts, and the preventer could cause some serious problems if the wind does shift drastically, including pinning the boat rail down to the water.

I highly recommend using a boom brake, although it requires a bit more capital initially. However, a boom brake is safer in many was than a preventer line, since it will allow the boom to move, albeit rather slowly and in a relatively controlled manner. MVBinfo.com has information on the Dutchman Boom Brake, which is one of the better ones around, and the BB500 is the model I have installed on my boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Jimmd,

here you go.

Hope it helps

Old 08-07-2007

US25 is on a distinguished road
Sometimes in light wind on a long run I unshackle my boomvang from the mast and clip it to the base of a forward station. But normally, I just grab the 'lazy jib sheet" and lash the boom to something convenient.
Old 08-10-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have used a pair of purchases at the mid-boom, going forward to padeyes at the rail, and with the tails going aft to cam cleats. I have been able to steer through a gybe with my knees on the tiller and by using both tails at once, can obtain a very controlled movement of the boom from one tack to the other.

Basically, I only reset the mainsheet itself when I have completed the tack and secured the appropriate preventer. Some lead the preventer to the bow. I have not found this necessary, probably because the boat in question has a tall, skinny IOR main.

I have used this techniques in 30 knot downwind runs.

Here's a not particularly good picture, but it was a windy, rolly day in October on Lake Ontario. So was yesterday, as well, come to think of it.