Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
When I took delivery of my boat, it was in Sandyhook, and we moved her to Virginia a day after the sea-trial (by way of Statue of Liberty... pretty sweet). Anyway... I had never sailed before, none of my crew had ever sailed before. The boat had just been put in the water. I didn't even know what all the switches ran too. I had never been up or down this part of the coast at all. We had a schedule that we had to make (I know... schedules and passages don't work). Didn't have a life-raft... but did have a sweet 2 person inflatable kayak... there were 4 of us on the boat.

So basically everything was new to me.

We had decent weather, not for sailing, so we had to motor alot. We got hit with a few storms... avoided a few closely. But we were pretty lucky. I did spend a LONG time prior scouring the internets, reading books, and going through the charts to find all possible spots to hide in if needed.

My impression is that it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Getting into some spots were interesting... charts don't have up to date markings, and you have to pay alot of attention. We did ground once... but not badly at all.

It was a blast, you can read more on my blog if your interested. From my little bit of time... I could see where in bad weather, it could be a rough place... so best advice would be to listen to weather reports and then stay far enough off the coast to be safe. Then again... I don't really know what I am talking about... I have more luck than knowledge.

Glad you made it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2007

sailing320 is on a distinguished road
Safety First. Add as much safety gear as you can afford.
Old 08-20-2007

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
All coastal cruisers have:

Öa boat. Oft times, it ends right there. Too much of the time itís a lack of things thatís more evident, like having the smarts to run one! Even if youíre the ďOld Man of the SeaĒ with more experience and knowledge then Lloyd Bridges, it ainít gonna matter if the other guy donít have the smarts nor common-sense to know what side of the channel to be on!

DONíT BE THE OTHER GUY! Get educated as much as possible! The US Power Squadron and the USCG Auxiliary both offer safe boating courses. Any boating entity, harbormaster, yacht club etc. should be able to point you in the right direction.

GET EDUCATED!

PoCA
Old 08-28-2007

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
One thing to remember is that most of the New Jersey coast line becomes a very inhospitable lee shore in bad weather, and many, if not most, of the ports are difficult and dangerous to enter in bad weather. Heading out to sea, if you are caught out by a strong storm is often safer than trying to get into a harbor.
agree with this. I am not sure what your draft is, but as mine was 6ft I had pretty much planned that Atlantic City would be our last safety net going from Cape May to NYC before we reached Sandy Hook. It was my boats first time "offshore" so I waited a day longer than I had planned for a good weather forecast for a 2 day window. besides not getting much sleep it was an easy trip.
Old 08-28-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I read somewhere that if you have radar you are required to use it. Is that true?

Too bad they don't have a simlar regulation regarding brains...
Old 08-28-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
I read somewhere that if you have radar you are required to use it. Is that true?
I never heard that. Radar is a power hog if you are sailing, so I don't use mine unless there are visibility issues...
Old 08-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
I never heard that. Radar is a power hog if you are sailing, so I don't use mine unless there are visibility issues...
I searched around and did not find whatever I read earlier, which stated it like it was a fact. But I found something that is probably a better explanation of what the basis would be for someone to make that statement:

http://www.starpath.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...;f=19;t=000002

I am not a lawyer, but sometimes I play one on the Internet...
Based on the navigation rules referenced in the linked post above (mostly navigation rule 5), it sounds like that having radar and not using it could pose a liability issue in the case of a collision. It could be construed as a violation of rule 5 if you weren't using "all available means". I am not saying I agree with that, just that I can see how someone can use that argument.
Old 08-28-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
You are generally required to use all available means of navagation available to you. If you get into an accident and didn't have the radar on, a board of inquiry will ask why? Same would apply to a plotter & sounder. Of course a sounder would only apply if you ran aground, not sure what a plotter would prove. But if you run into somebody and didn't have your radar on, it could be argued that your radar could have helped avoid the accident...bad news for you.
So, running without radar on is not illegal but it could become a liability.
Old 08-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Draft is 18"with the board up.... 4'6" with it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptmorgan04 View Post
agree with this. I am not sure what your draft is, but as mine was 6ft I had pretty much planned that Atlantic City would be our last safety net going from Cape May to NYC before we reached Sandy Hook. It was my boats first time "offshore" so I waited a day longer than I had planned for a good weather forecast for a 2 day window. besides not getting much sleep it was an easy trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Draft is 18"with the board up.... 4'6" with it down.

Interesting; so we traily saily types draft more than you and less than you? Mine is stated as 9" and 4' 9" but probably is down another couple of inches with people and gear.