Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspirate View Post
jump in the dink and the use the dink as a pilot boat/cushion/fender/towboat etc. if all else fails...drop hook
Done this, too, after an engine failure: lashed the Zodiac on "the hip", locked the tiller on the outboard slightly offset and steered with the main boat's tiller. A little squicky getting into dock, but otherwise fine...we made 4.2 knots with a 9.9 on a 10,000 pound boat, but the outboard got pretty damn warm!

I wasn't actually IN the Zodiac...that would've made steering problematic. I sat at the rail ready to jump in at the first sign of trouble, and my wife steered the two-headed beast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2007
vox clamantis in deserto

sharkbait is on a distinguished road
drop the hook and aim for the cheapest boat
Old 08-18-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I don't understand why this would be anyone's greatest fear. Presumably you're moving at the time the engine quits, so you'd still have rudder control. Why wouldn't you simply weave through the obstacles, just as you would if the engine were running, drop your hook and deploy your fenders? I'm scared of lots of scenarios when on the water, but this doesn't make the list.
Old 08-18-2007

davideureka is on a distinguished road
we lost our shear pin this 4th of july as we were about to raft up to watch the show in a very crouded cove we jjust were very carful and were ready to hoist the sails as not to ram any other boats after we were tied up we saw a power boat trying to back into a slip take his bow accrosed a 22 ft sail baot and take the top of the cabin and life lines off the boat
Old 08-18-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sailhog-
" Presumably you're moving at the time the engine quits, so you'd still have rudder control. Why wouldn't you simply weave through the obstacles, "
Dunno where you moor, but in most mooring fields I've been in, you are moving at dead slow and the other boats are at most 100' apart usually well less than that, more like 3 boatlengths apart. Duck and weave through two of them--while there's any wind blowing--and you have lost all way and steerage and are at the mercy of the wind. And typically, a good dozen boats away from any edge of the mooring field.

If you can't get sail up and maneuvering speed ASAP, you've got maybe ten seconds to prepare fenders and try to raft up to the first boat you hit.

In docks...it isn't so bad, you may be able to hit a piling instead, and avoid damaging anyone else's boat. One small hit, one hit to a spinnaker track (or other rail) plus a little deck or hull repair...Unless you hit a very mellow soul who says "Oh forget about it", you are likely to be paying for the repaint of a whole side of the hull, plus a whole rail, plus. Two or three grand if you make a small dent on a cheap old boat--I know someone who had that pleasure.
His insurance paid the bill, and then promptly raised his premium, needless to say.
Old 08-19-2007

Omatako will become famous soon enough
When I did my "Coastal Skipper" test years ago, it was a part of the test that as we were leaving the marina, still amongst the slips and piers, the examiner put the engine in neutral and asked "What are you going to do now?" Putting the engine back into gear was an option but then you failed the test.

Here's what I learned. Never use the main, always the headsail. Why? Because if the wind is from the back you have no way of depowering the boat and your chances are good of a crash gybe while you're trying to avoid obstacles. If the wind is from the front you will generate little headway with just a main.

With a jib out you can let the sail fly no matter where the wind is from and you can also point the boat into more directions and get headway than with a main.

I agree with another earlier post: Practise this when you're in control, with the engine idling at the ready if you get it wrong. That way you can soon determine your and your boats limitations under conditions that will not raise a sweat or an invoice for someone else's boat repairs.

Here's another problem to which I reckon there is no solution: Heading into a slip, you put the boat into reverse to slow and the boat accelerates forward . What happened? The gear cable jumped out of it's little retainer and left the gearbox in forward. The more I tried to slow, the faster we went. We hit the main walkway at about 5 knots!!!

Maybe this should be a new thread?

Andre
Old 08-19-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
No, Andre!
Hitting the dock at five knots is not a call for a new thread! In fact, just the thought of it is more than enough to put me off my feed. I am not overly superstitious but I see no good in describing dock rammings. (vbg)

I am now crossing my fingers, looking for a black cat, and forgeting I ever read this. (lol)