Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Stan-

I usually cut the bottom of the bottle off and glue the top in place... makes a better bailer IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Stan-

I usually cut the bottom of the bottle off and glue the top in place... makes a better bailer IMHO.
..... and lets hope we... Never find out
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 08-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'll second that... Better to be overprepared and underwhelmed, than underprepared and overwhelmed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
..... and lets hope we... Never find out

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-20-2007

jhulmer is on a distinguished road
I am enjoying the posts; Very good information. These responses hopefully will prevent the problem, but will surely provide the forethought to minimize the situation should it happen to anyone that follows these posts.
Old 08-21-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
What a great story , glad it had a happy ending , wooden plugs ,hacksaws all good stuff . A ditch-bag was allways standard in our cruising voyages (passports , phone numbers ,all that stuff you dont want to be looking for in a pinch) the other thing we had aboard was cordless tools .Bosch and Dewalt both make some fine reciprocating saws and other demasting/de-rigging quick tools well worth the money.If your budget allows EPIRBS are sweet and so are Sat phones but nothing replaces a well thought out "what if" plan . I agree with the others , you should send the story to the press they'd publish it
Old 09-28-2007

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
About that RADIO !!

As a former Coast Guard small boat SAR guy with no sailing cred at all, I read this thread and wondered when anyone would talk about the RADIO and the COAST GUARD- and do you know what you would say?

Sailors have self-sufficiency in their DNA so I am not surprised the conversation stayed on the issue of stopping the leak but really, on the other end of that radio there's a bunch of bored men and women sitting around waiting for the magic words.....

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY..... WE ARE TAKING ON WATER...

It's what they live for and they are good at it.

Make that radio call first, give your postition first. No one will mind if you call back and say you got it fixed and they can stand down.

Obviously if you're way off shore and rescue is hours or days away then the first few minutes might best be spent addressing the casualty but if you're in cell phone range my FIRST move will be to pick up the mic.

Even if you get it under control there's no certainly your repair won't fail. If you are still afloat when the Coasties arrive they will loan you drop pump.

Forgive my bias but the United States Coast Guard is the single greatest bargain the taxpayer gets.
Old 09-28-2007

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
ooops, also forgive my arrogance, typical American, I realize this is an International forum and many other countries have fine life saving services in place
Old 09-28-2007
Telstar 28

LOL... yes, the coast guard, lifeboat service, or whatever name they do go by is a bargain.

BTW, cell phones are really less than useful in an emergency.

Cellphones are point-to-point, and only the person on the other end has any idea you're having a problem—with VHF everyone around you will know.

Cellphones are harder to locate—the coasties have pretty good RDF capability in many places for triangulating or locating a VHF broadcast.

Cellphones are limited to LOS to the nearest tower—VHF can be relayed from boat to boat and then to shore.

Modern DSC-capable VHF units will even broadcast your position, provided you have it properly connected to the GPS. Makes finding you really simple for the good guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordnc View Post
ooops, also forgive my arrogance, typical American, I realize this is an International forum and many other countries have fine life saving services in place

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-28-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
I just almost witnessed a sinking last week. I was up the lake from here at Bayfield ON for a few days. I was just getting up and I see these two large men in a small (18' or so) wooden home built project boat. As I wave and wish them well I'm thinking, pretty little boat, nice cuddy cabin, hope the lake has settled down, wind is still up a bit.

I walk into town to get a coffee and on the way back I hear sirens. The coast guard (Canadian) has a big zodiac at the dock and there's an ambulance at the dock.

The dock hand at the marina says that two guys were out in a sailboat and sank it. Two fairly big guys? I ask. Yes says he adding 'they went to turn around and caught a wave over the side'. A fisherman on the peir came and told us and we called the coast guard. They came down from Goderich. Are they ok? They got some hypothermia, but they'll be ok. Too bad about their boat, it was nice.

The coasties left and a little later I went out. I saw them towing the sunken boat in with the zodiac. They don't have to do that, it was nice of them. I heard later from another boater that they got the boat out and up on it's trailer.
Old 09-28-2007

Drylander is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordnc View Post
If you are still afloat when the Coasties arrive they will loan you drop pump.
As my sailing instructor said: "...no pump is as powerful as a scared man with a bucket..."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.