Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007

BritAbroad is on a distinguished road
Anchor and rode stowage

On my Catalina 27 (1977) we have no chain locker. This means that whenever we anchor, one of us (my wife or I) has to lug the 18lb Danforth plus bag containing 150ft of chain and nylon rode from a stern locker up to the bow to deploy.

This is a pain in good conditions, and potentially downright dangerous in nasty conditions, since the package essentially requires two hands to be carried, leaving not much left for holding on.

We have recently got an anchor holder that allows the anchor to sit on the bow pulpit, but still have a problem as to what to do with the rode. With the new anchor holder, we can at least haul the anchor and rode up to the bow in advance in good conditions, and lash the rode bag down, but this isn't an arrangement I'm happy enough to leave up there permanently. (Quite apart from security, it also clutters up the bow cleats which makes tying up at the slip problematic, and interferes with the foot of the jib.

One option I've considered is adding some sort of quick release shackle between the anchor and rode, allowing the rode to be stored in the stern, but the anchor on the bow. This seems a little scary though - the idea of my anchor rode "quickly releasing" during the night at anchor would be a concern.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Has anyone else run into a similar issue?

Anyone know of any quick release mechanisms they'd trust their anchor with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Have you ever tried anchoring from the stern?

Is there a reason you have to drop the anchor and chain from the bow? How about dropping the anchor and chain from the stern and then playing out the rode and cleating it off at the bow.

Last edited by CapnHand; 08-19-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2007

thedudeistoocool is on a distinguished road
I think somebody on this board mentioned using a 2 gallon plastic gas can to carry and store rode in. They said it made a nice compact and solid package with a great handle built into it. That might help in the handling aspect

You could fabricate some sort of box to hold the rode and epoxy it right to the deck you could even coat it in fiberglass for durability and water resistance. If you made it low and wide it might not make too much of a trip hazard and still be strong enough to stand on

You could cut a hole in the deck and install a hatch over the v-berth then fabricate a box over the forward end of the v-berth that could hold it but this would make drainage a major issue adn then there's the possibilities of the hatch leaking as well

I can't think of anything that would "look good" though

It's your boat though so you can do anything you want to with it

Good luck and have fun
Old 08-19-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand View Post
Have you ever tried anchoring from the stern?

Is there a reason you have to drop the anchor and chain from the bow? How about dropping the anchor and chain from the stern and then playing out the rode and cleating it off at the bow.
Doh! I have been wondering the same thing as BritAbroad. It never occured to me to just drop the anchor from the stern (ours is stored in a lazerette) and walk the rode forward. Likewise, when hauling anchor, reverse the process. (Tho the bow's a bit handier for dunking the mud, silt, clay, weeds, etc. off.)

Just gotta be real carefull handing the rode to yourself going around the shrouds. Would be a real shame to watch your rode follow the anchor .

Jim
Old 08-19-2007

Thought about launching from the stern but never tried it. Partly due to worries about fouling the prop or the keel if there's any drift or way on, and partly because it's harder to do without scratching the topsides. Will try it though.... thanks.
Old 08-19-2007

I like the can idea for storing rode - though the canvas bag I currently have works pretty well from that aspect. The two hands business comes from one hand for the anchor and one hand for the rode bag...

Not really all that keen on making any more holes in the deck at the bow. So I think stern locker will have to continue to be the storage spot.....
Old 08-19-2007
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Is an anchor's weight engraved on it anywhere? The PO of my boat left me a basic Danforth with 100ft of chain and rode, but I don't know the weight and this idea just came to me. Otherwise I guess I could get a hand-held spring scale, or just take it off the boat and use a bathroom scale.
Old 08-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some boats can anchor from the stern quite nicely. See Don Jordan's article on this, located HERE.

You could also run the rode up to the bow, out around the lifelines and back to the cockpit, if you know you're going to be anchoring soon. Then you could deploy the anchor from the stern and not have to worry about walking it forward so to speak. Just feed the rode forward as you lower the anchor from the cockpit, and then drop the boat back and away from the anchor as you let the rode go... should work pretty well for most boats. The only problem I see with doing this is making sure you have a fair lead to the bow for the anchor rode. Of course, you would probably only do this if you have a combination chain/rope rode, since an all chain rode would chew the deck up pretty good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritAbroad View Post
Thought about launching from the stern but never tried it. Partly due to worries about fouling the prop or the keel if there's any drift or way on, and partly because it's harder to do without scratching the topsides. Will try it though.... thanks.
After you anchor off from stern, before you walk the chain to bow, secure the chain with a piece of long rode (can use rolling hitch) and tie to the stern cleat. Now the boat is securely anchored from stern (via rode on chain), you can take your time and walk the rest of the chain, around the shroud and secure it to the bow anchoring point. Now, release the rode from the cleat and secure it to the bow somewhere. When recovering, you can bring the rode back to stern and tension it, freeing the chain for you to walk back and prepare for recovery.
Old 08-29-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
How about installing a hawse deck pipe. http://www.sailboatstuff.com/dk_pipe.html
I don't know your layout under your forward deck, but you could possibly locate a container under the hawse to store the chain and rode either temporary or permanently. The anchor would be stored in your bow rail bracket.

Wayne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.