Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Cruisingdad my experience on the ocean is about zero. I sail only on the Great Lakes and while they are big, nothing like the ocean. How big are your waves typically ? On Lake Huron when we get a squall, actually a thunder storm, the waves never get time to build.

Only when we have sustained system winds do we get anything substantial. When a low is moving through the area we will get SW winds that slowly build over about 2 days. Depending on the strength of the low they might get as strong as 35 knots. then as the low travels through the wind backs around all the way to the NW and fills in at least as strong as the SW wind was. This wind slowly diminishes over 2-3 days.

Since lake Huron runs north and south, when the SW winds blows for a couple of days we will get waves up to about 14 feet trough to crest in the northern part of the lake.
They tend to be pretty organized long rollers that do crest and break. Really fun to surf on with a kite up. With a North wind same thing but in the southern end.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Gary,

That sea was 15ish breakers. 15 is fine. Breakers become a problem. A northern built ove rthe gulf from Texas and pushed through and caught us offshore. 27 hours of that stuff.

THis was the pic my wonderful wife shot of me afterwards (next morning). She thought is was very funny. You will notice there are NO pics of her...

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-24-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
If, for some reason, you have to turn the boat, do it on the TOP of a wave - not in the trough. It is not hard for a combination of high winds and breaking waves and a beam-to position to turn into a broach and knock down.
This is what we were taught in Nav Class while out in the Atlantic. The waves were only 8 feet... but they were breaking. So our Captain explained how to tack in high wind/wave situations. Come about just as you are reaching the crest. Also approach large waves at a slight angle rather than straight on... Safer and less stress on the boat too.

Old 08-24-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
THis was the pic my wonderful wife shot of me afterwards (next morning). She thought is was very funny.

After 27 hours of that and you still have a grin on your face! Nice.

Old 08-24-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Looks a bit green though . . . (g)
Old 08-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What you don't see is the dozen bottles of rum at his feet... all empty.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-24-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
Chubuscos and Santanas, out here, bring out the staysail, roll up the jib, drop the main, reef the mizzen, turn on the motor for safety, harness and tether, then break out the soap for a good fresh water shower in the cockpit.
Old 08-24-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Looks a bit green though . . . (g)
I had been very, very green. All I will say is that EVERYONE get's seasick... we all just have different thresholds!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-24-2007
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Somebody posted before that they were "not a fan of sea anchors." If there is searoom enough, is there any reason not to employ a sea anchor? That always seemed to me to be a good solution to dealing with a sudden squall that one knows will not last long. Are there problems with it that of which I am unaware?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
SailingDog is apparently confusing the discussion at hand with heaving-to in heavy weather. We were discussing thunderstorms and squalls, where high winds, breaking seas, but not swells, are the norm. And it's all of relatively short duration.

Bare poles and 50hp ready to hand are nothing to sniff at. And a relatively underpowered sailboat, with a sea anchor deployed, will find it easier to orient her bow to oncoming breaking seas. Manoeuvering as CD describes will be made easier. Ian describes the possibly optimal course of action, assuming an ample supply of Lifeboy bar soap. A good time to break out the old soap on a rope!