A gripe - The most unseamanlike vessels on the planet? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Don't think it's necessarily a case of "smart" vs. "dumb". Unless you were lucky enough to be "born into" sailing like I was, I think it's pretty intimidating for most people to start up in sailing if they don't know anyone with a boat already.

I have to tip my hat to my parents, who in the early 1960's took a weekend sailing course, and bought a boat. (a Shark) That took courage.

On a side note, yesterday I rigged a snap shackle from that original boat on the Hobie Wave I bought for my kids this year. That was pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
The title of this thread is just begging for me to post this again:

Old 09-10-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
Quit posting pictures of sailhogs boat. He dosen't like it when you do that.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 09-10-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
That wasn't a personal photo?
Old 09-10-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
As I was explaining to a power-boat-owning buddy: I think one of the big differences between power-boaters and sailors is that a sailboat, by its very nature, has a steeper learning curve. I think this tends to result in more savvy skippers.

My wife and I have been out in our boat a half-dozen times, so far. We've yet to have had any sailboat do anything stupid in our sight. (Well, other than the neighbour that *cough* rammed our stern rail.) But as for powerboats: We had one just plain stop dead at the end of a channel, with us behind him and a raft of other boats behind us. Blocking the outgoing side of the channel. Absolutely oblivious.

A couple of weekends ago, the canal was lousy with powerboats coming in just as we were coming in. Looked like rush hour on the freeway. They'd come in from one side or the other, cut each other off, etc. We several times had to go into neutral, or even reverse, to stay a safe distance back from them.

Had a powerboat yesterday, out on the lake, one of those big floating sky-scrapers, coming directly across our course, on a collision course. Did he yield? Hell no. We did an emergency tack. (And not very cleanly, either.) He never slowed. He never changed course. He just kept on going.

And another, much smaller powerboat, in front of us in the canal yesterday. Weaving back-and-forth at a speed below our idle speed. Gave him a short toot of the horn. His two passengers glanced back and he just kept doing what he'd been doing.

I didn't used to have an "attitude" about powerboaters. I'm quickly developing one .

Jim
Old 09-10-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I didn't used to have an "attitude" about powerboaters. I'm quickly developing one .

Jim
Well Jim, get used to it. There is some truth to this stereotype. I say all you need to be a motor boater is a gold chain and a case of beer.

There are some A-hole sailors out there too though. I just think there may be less of them due to the skill required to pilot a sailboat, or maybe we just don't notice them as much because it's hard to look like you are doing much wrong at 5-6kts. Go watch a sail race and see how they cut each other off, sail within feet of each other, and even get into collision situations because they are "stand on vessel" regardless of if it is prudent seamanship or not. There are some unseamanlike sailors too.
Old 09-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree that sailing, by its very nature, requires a sailor to think far more than a powerboater is forced to. To sail a boat takes more skill and thought than driving a powerboat—where you just slam the throttles forward and point the boat where you want it to go...

Yes, this is a bit of on oversimplification, but not too much so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-10-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Sapperwhite Quote:
There are some A-hole sailors out there too though. I just think there may be less of them due to the skill required to pilot a sailboat, or maybe we just don't notice them as much because it's hard to look like you are doing much wrong at 5-6kts. Go watch a sail race and see how they cut each other off, sail within feet of each other, and even get into collision situations because they are "stand on vessel" regardless of if it is prudent seamanship or not. There are some unseamanlike sailors too.
That's a bit harsh... Every been in a big race?? It can get pretty emotional at the helm of a large, heavy, not-overly-manuverable-yacht in the flukey winds and chop caused by lots of others in close proximity at the start of an important race. Win at all costs!!! and shout the loser back at the bar.

Anyways, everyone knows that if you get any two yachts on the same bit of water, you have a race ...but methinks that idiots in stinkboats and those mindless PWCs are from a completely different mold.

--Cameron
Old 09-10-2007

frankalula is on a distinguished road
I think the sailor-stigma is more about how much time we seem to 'waste' and not so much about the $$$. (I also think my own mom holds this grudge against me, sigh.)

And the only thing we can do with the powerboaters is treat 'em like we want to be treated. (It's called The Golden Rule and it works everywhere.)

Frank
(Yeah, it's my first real post. Been lurkin' for a while, love you folks.)
Old 09-10-2007

thedudeistoocool is on a distinguished road
SD You are very much correctomundo !

Many many powerboaters buy their boat and think that they just have to nail the throttle and go with no clue about draft whatsoever - just look at the number of powerboats with destroyed outdrives (lower units ?) Sure there is a saying that "you're not a sailor until you've run aground - TWICE" but when a powerboat does it at 60+MPH there is a whole new level of damage. Thats another thing -when's the last time you saw a powerboat ad saying
OUR BOAT CAN DO 70+KNOTS powerboaters (for the most part) don't have an effin clue what a knot is other than something they put in their shoes no the ads always read in big red or yellow letters 90MPH along with photos of amply endowed members of the fairer sex (she's got HUGE tracts of land)
I remember an ad from the early 90's either for Fomula or maybe Warlock that read something like

NO BRAKES
NO LIMITS
NO RULES

the manufacturers just want to sell boats and they will gladly encourage deviant behavior to do so
on a positive note - the operator of a powerboat involved in fatal accident last year is apparently going to jail - is it fair justice ? hell no ! but we'll take what we can get

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.