A gripe - The most unseamanlike vessels on the planet? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Frank-

Welcome to sailnet... unfortunately, powerboaters are often oblivious to some of the things they do that really irritate sailboaters... like wake rocking an entire anchorage... which would be difficult to do in most sailboats.

Dude-

A lot of powerboaters don't realize that even though you can go really fast on water, slowing down in a different story—as is turning. Same thing happens to people who buy AWD SUVs—they drive faster on ice than they should, because the vehicles can accellerate on ice... but the AWD doesn't really help them turn or stop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-10-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Anyone too young to have a drivers license can get a restricted one by passing the test, but must be supervised by someone they can throw the book at if the kid plays up.
That is the law in GA for a PWC. Actually the law in GA also says the owner of the PWC is financially responsible for any damage that occurs from use of the PWC no matter who is driving. So if you lend it out to a buddy and he crashes into a boat the owner has to pay up. This is part of the reason we sold them. My S-I-L was pretty pissed at us for not letting them and their friends take them to the lake.

One summer on a local lake I was out in our stink pot doing about 25 or so and some dumba** came up behind me to within 40' or so and finally crossed out of my wake to pass. I saw his prop as he jumped my wake. He almost lost it when he landed. What an idiot.

For the record all stink pot drivers are not like that. It's just the bad ones that leave an impression. You don't even notice the good stink pot drivers because they don't even get near sailboaters and certainly not in your way.

If you've never been a stink potter you just can't understand the 70+ and thru hull exhaust behind a big block engine. This was an old jet boat by the way and I believe it was 80+ and no rudder. What a blast that thing was.
Old 09-11-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
With one gold chain and one case of beer, you couldn't be much of a powerboater. Four of each and you have a good start.

"Go watch a sail race and see how they cut each other off, sail within feet of each other,...regardless of if it is prudent seamanship or not. "
Aside from the newbies and the fools, you seem to be unaware that racing is by definition NOT PRUDENT SEAMANSHIP and in fact is not governed by the same rules. It is governed by admiralty law, yes, but first by the appropriate Racing Rules (IRYU, USSA, etc.). This is often reflected in insurance policies which will state that all coverage is excluded if you are racing, for the same reason that auto insurance doesn't cover auto racers--on or off the track.

For two competent and experienced racing boats, following the racing rules, it is normal, prudent, and proper to overtake a boat with just enough room to slip a playing card between the two hulls. That's sufficient and proper and I've seen it done that way routinely.

I've also seen T-bones and other incidents when at least one skipper wasn't all that good at it. But that's racing, and the fact that it involves sailing, has really got nothing to do with sailing in general. As the rednecks in NASCAR sadly have taken to saying "If they ain't bumpin' it ain't racin' ". Well, I file that with 'professional' wrestling. Gentlemen don't bump.
Old 09-11-2007
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Dude,
In DK something like that has been introduced. Here's the formula
If the engine(s) (in HP's) are bigger than (Length˛ + 3 meter) x 1,36. A license is required. Example: 5 meter long boat: 5˛ + 3 = 38.08 - in other words you can use that boat without a license if the engine is 38 or less HP's. For a dinghy it's somewhat less, let's say that it is 2 metres long (like mine), then you can only have a 7 HP engine on that.
The problem is that we STILL see all the braindeads out there, so it hasn't really helped - yet. It is being enforced more heavily now, so I hope that it will soon, please
Btw. a license is also required if the boat is 15m or longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeistoocool View Post
Well , being that we are SAILnetters we could be prujudiced, think outside the box and say that licensing and inspections should only apply to boats that have or exceed a certain horsepower to weight ratio for example any watercraft that exceeds 12hp per 1000 pounds I don't know of any sailboats that would exceed that and even your dinghy would not be affected because it probably has fewer than 12 horsepower

Is this fair ? Not to powerboaters and I don't care !

Unfortunatley most of our elected officials/legislators are more likely to be included in the booze guzzling beer gut powerboater category
Old 09-11-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
FWIW, one interesting thing I've noticed where we sail is that the Water Police have started using PWCs and virtually ignore sailboats completely (unless you do something really stupid).

After talking to one of the cops at the marina, apparently the PWCs they make nowadays are too manuverable and quick to be pulled over by the old police launches, so now you get cops on PWCs chasing drunk idiots on PWCs!! It's bloody funny to watch... just don't get in the way.

--Cameron
Old 09-11-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Ahh the old boaters should be licensed chessnut again . Predictable how that turned into the stink-pot bashing. Lets just face it stink-potters suck we're all thinking it ,so there I said it. Allways have allways will. Yes there are some (miniscule amount) of very nice people that own power boats and yes there are some jack@$$' that sail . But involving the government in anyway shape or form never has a happy ending .So I hope and pray we never see the day that Uncle Sam declares dominion in this licensing bussiness. Even though stink-potters are a royal pain in most sailors lifes , we should know buy now how to deal with them. Carry a great insurance plan ,know that if a stink-potter has a chance of doing something dumb they most likely will so plan accordingly ,and when things get too drunk ,loud and stupid ,get the coastguard on the event as soon as possible, and let them have the best chance at enforcing what ever they can BTW video also goes a long way . I found that out , and replaced the old holly/teak sole in the aft cabin courtesy of a drunk stink-potter in the marina making wake ,caused my wife to spill a whole gallon of paint down the companionway oooopsey awww shame. The beautifull part about this saga was it was the drunk stink-potters best buddy was the guy that showed up to assess the damage . Not much argument with a video and a bunch of eyewittness' Pure poetic justice . Keep it up stink-potters , I can allways use an extra $2700 check .
Old 09-11-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
If boating required an endorsement on the licence, that would eliminate the rental operations that will rent a PWC to anybody with no clue as to the rules of the road. A good thing in my opinion. It would also lessen the loaned out boats to unlicenced and uneducated boaters. A good thing.
The law should have plenty of teeth too. A few well publicized jail terms will scare off many jackasses. Not all but a fair amount.
This is exactly what we need. If someone on a PWC jumps your wake lock them up. Or if they pass on the wrong side lock them up. We already have the largest prison population in the world that we support with tax dollars lets make it even bigger. Start a concentration camp for stupid boaters.

The PWC license for under 16's can be taken online and mailed. How many do you think cheat? The same would happen for a boating license. It's left up to the parents to make sure the kids know how to drive.

Labor day weekend I saw this kid driving a PWC who looked like he was 10. Spinning, jumping waves and the shocker He was pretty good. He didn't get near any other boaters, stayed out of peoples way and actually knew what he was doing. Some parent actually makes that kid responsible for what he does wrong.

There is no easy answer for these problems. Any fix is going to require more government control, more tax dollars, more licensing fees and more wasted time. And this still won't solve the problems, it will just create more.

Mostly I think there is just a lack of respect for other people. I see it every time I risk my life by driving in Atlanta traffic.

How many of you remember your teacher being able to pop you upside the head for slouching? Today even the bus drivers don't have any control. My B-I-L who is 8 was caught throwing paper on the bus 2 different times. After the 2nd time the school sent a letter home that said 3 offenses on the bus was a year long suspension. WTF? It's a lack of ability to control the younger population and teach respect. Then they grow up and think everybody needs to get the F*** out of their way.
Old 09-11-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Aside from the newbies and the fools, you seem to be unaware that racing is by definition NOT PRUDENT SEAMANSHIP and in fact is not governed by the same rules.
No Hellosailor, I am actually quite aware. The point is that if you watch some of these racing skippers, they act just like a motor boater, only they are sailors. The point is that there are plenty of A-hole sail captains out there too, you just have to look with a different set of eyes.
Old 09-11-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Now you have insulted the A-holes.
Rudeness on the road or on the water is not the way to win friends and influence enemies. But then again you do lose friends and influence enemies in the worst possible ways.
Old 09-11-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Ah, Sapper, you mean the Gung-Ho Young Turks no doubt, even when they ain't so young and ain't so Turkish.

I used to crew for one of them, a bit too much adrenalin flew on that boat, even if he was careful about not hitting things. Standing in the middle, listening to the owner on the helm cursing at the foredeck, who was shouting back just as vehemently, except neither of them could hear a thing over the wind and the distance, I thought about the old Monty Python skit "Argument? Oh, sorry, this is Abuse, that's two doors down the hall to the left" and realized this was not for me.

"Fun" shouldn't need a volume control that way.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.