Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
river sailing ... Pointing

I don't like to go a sailing on days when the wind is running straight down the river here in SE PA on the tidal delaware. But! that elimiates most every day! Today I ran wing and wing going south on the river while using my Autohelm. (ran about 3 - 5 miles I guess) That was fun!

Coming back north of course is the pain in the.. A---! tacking every 3 to five mins. 10, if one is really lucky. Motoring is most often the best way back up river. the river is prettly big here but not that big when tacking!

Anyway. In really light air like under 7 knots. My boat points pretty good. It has a 153 radial cut light air genny, roller furling, companion way traveler (garhaurer), boom vang, The main is the orginal config for the Oday 30. out haul works too. Today the wind was about 10 knots, it was fun beating back up river for awhile but I got tired of it after about a 1/2 hr. The wind was dead straight down the river all the way back of course! I tried to about 7 degrees but the genny kept luffing. 25 or 30 degrees works good but that is what causes short tacks even though its fun. If I could get closer to 10 or 15 degrees off the wind I'd be a happy camper! err.. sailor! sailorette?

I'ver heard that a reefed main will help one point better. I've not tried that yet. I'm about to change the 153 back to the working jib since light air season is about over. Of course with crew that loves to do all the work it's fun to tack back and forth and beat into the wind even if it doesn't cover much distance. But when solo and listening to music and relaxing in the cool air it's no fun, and the engine spoils the music

all input is apreciated!

lets not get too scientific!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Get a smaller genoa, can you? If you reef, up to some point it will work, but its still a poor situation, not as good as a smaller genoa, say a 125% or even 120%. This sail can be run inside the shrouds for closer gap between the main.

Also if you sail as close to shore as possible profit the eddy currents.

Last edited by Giulietta; 09-18-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2007
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Nonsuch?

Have a considered a Nonsuch or at least a boat with a self-tacking jib? I used to beat into my channel and have to tack about every 45 sec - just turn the wheel
Old 09-18-2007
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
not

going to get anoter boat! only have this one a year! I love it too!

self tending jib wouldn't work in my boat it's only about 12 ft from the headstay to mast.. but you have me thinking!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Denise,
Have you thought about moving off the river. I know the area you are in and as you're finding out you are kind of limited in what you can do.
Old 09-19-2007
Lies about her age

I was on the sassafras last yr about this time for 3 months, then brought her home to my YC in Bristol. It's limited here yes but it's cheap! My membership and boat storage is less then $600 a yr someday I'd like to move her down to oxford or fairlee creek. River sailing, they say round here is: "if you can sail here you can sail anywhere!"

I was in a race on a friends boat Saturday that was sponserd by winters sailing center. we came in 2nd. 25 mph winds. (oday 322) Lots of people were having one knock down after another. I was on the mainsheet.. my arms (using the winch too) were sore for 3 days! Toe rail was buried!

That said.. sailing on the bay won't help me learn to point the boat better I don't think.. so close quarters sailing it is for now. I do hope to head to the bay sometime in Oct. which is coming up soon!

my current "project"!
Old 09-19-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Denise,
Wow is that cheap! I wasn't thinking so much of the bay (and definitely not thinking of the Sassafras) but mote the NJ coast. I'm heading to the coast next year and I'll miss the anchorages but look forward to the seabreeze. Of course it'll cost me a lot more than $600.
Old 09-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Denise, why don't you install a self tacking genoa??

Its pretty easy to do, and in a few hours you can do it, once you get the right material.
Old 09-20-2007
Lies about her age

Giu I was looking at the harkern self tending gear actually.. I'd need a jib with a foot only about 12 from the headstay. it's only 13.5 to the mast LOL. Maybe someday. thanks

my current "project"!
Old 09-20-2007

Denise, don't get "ready to wear" stuff.

Its easier than you think. All you need is a track on a bridge, a track car, a couple blocks, and a block up in the mast..

If you want I can draw it for you.