Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Ragg, that's where I learned the balantine, but it's been 6 years since the last time I've been on a schooner and I forgot how to do one. Do you remember how?

Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As pointed out above... properly coiling a laid-line is much more important. For braided lines, I use figure-eights, instead of coils... so the line doesn't develop kinks, using a method very similar to the one Tejas describes.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-23-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Hi Dennis , the balentine and how do I discribe it on the net . Okeedokee here goes . Start with a coil , clockwise of course , make three in all, about a two and a half feet in diameter one on top of the other, then make a loop into the center of the coil you have going , this loop will take up a third of the space inside the coil . Now return the line to the origional threee coils till you get another third of the way around and go into the center and take up another third of the inside of the coil , remember to allways feed the line on top of the first loop you made. Again return to the origional coil and go again to another third way around and make the final loop. Now you have the base to build the balantine , you just keep following the same pattern over and over till you run out of line . The trick is ,to allways feed line on top of the one underneath it , so it has no choice but to return clean and safe , without snag . You can build the balantine as big as it has to be and it can look neat or scruffy , kick it around the deck and somehow it allways comes free when you strike sail . Just remember to place each line ontop of the one bellow it and the shape of it will lock things into place for you . If you've crewed on a schooner it will come back to you with a wee bit o practice .
By the way what ship where you on , it wasnt The Clipper City was it ?
Oh one more tip . when coiling large line , allways feed it between your legs so your only dealing with what you have at hand and if you able have a fresh new deck hand(bilge rat ) feed it to you . Better yet tell the bilge rat to make balantine right here yarrrrrrrrrr. I hope that helps ,as hard as it is to do the balentine the first time ,this may or may not jog your memory .

Fair winds

Paul
Old 09-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Although I coil line I intend to stow that way, I generally coil frequently used sheets slightly differently. I start the same way and then when I have everything coiled, I draw a single loop of line from the middle of the "pile", turn it 360 degrees around the middle, and then draw it up through the resulting "top loop", making a "handle" which can hang from a bungee loop in the line locker.

While this isn't great for lying on the deck, if you are hanging line from a hook or another loop, the weight of the line itself will hold everything in place.
Old 09-23-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Paul,
That jogged my memory, I do remember now. The ship was the Ernestine out of New Bedford, Mass. We would do the balentine then from the balentine to a coil, the balentine first to remove any twist in the line. I've got to grew on a schooner again just for practice.

Dennis

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 09-23-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Thanks all - keep them coming. I've been coiling with very few changes for so may years, it's great to get some new techniques.

rewell6 - Thanks for the Mac tips. I'll check them out. Yes, It's nice to have a machine to USE and not one to fuss at. Sorry for the delay replying - been out sailing (10-13 kts NE)
Old 09-24-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Dennis is that Ernestine or the Ernestina ? Built on Feb 1894 origionally named the Effie M . Morrissey the world famous Grand Banks fisher , artic expeditionary vessel under Captain Robert Adams Bartlett,and WWII survey ship under Commander Alexander Forbes. She caught fire in 1946 and was raised under the new name "Ernestina"to serve in the Cape Verde packet trade then gifted back to the people of the United States in 1982 . She now runs out of Bedford Mass as a training and study vessel of environmental impact
Gaff Rigged top sail schooner 112 LOA of 98 tons - Is that the boat ? If so yup I can see balantines comming in handy

Schooner Dawg Yarrrrrrrrrr

Paul
Old 09-24-2007

That's it, Ernestina. (Sorry about the misprint) There was a lady crew member who use to sail her to the Cape Verde Islands for years, very knowledgeable.
Nice ship, one day in 25 kt wind we had every sail up and doing 19 kt, very good ride.

Dennis

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Better be New Bedford, Mass, not Bedford, since one is landlocked...and the other is a major fishing port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggbagger View Post
Dennis is that Ernestine or the Ernestina ? Built on Feb 1894 origionally named the Effie M . Morrissey the world famous Grand Banks fisher , artic expeditionary vessel under Captain Robert Adams Bartlett,and WWII survey ship under Commander Alexander Forbes. She caught fire in 1946 and was raised under the new name "Ernestina"to serve in the Cape Verde packet trade then gifted back to the people of the United States in 1982 . She now runs out of Bedford Mass as a training and study vessel of environmental impact
Gaff Rigged top sail schooner 112 LOA of 98 tons - Is that the boat ? If so yup I can see balantines comming in handy

Schooner Dawg Yarrrrrrrrrr

Paul

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-24-2007
Currently, between boats.

ChicagoNewport27 is on a distinguished road
That video pretty much describes how I was taught. These other methods you guys are describing have my head spinning now, though.

Does someone have a link to good step-by-step pictures or video of the balentine technique and the figure-eight coiling variation? Is it detailed in a book I can buy somewhere?

(My cursory Google search turned up zilch)