Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I guess my forestay, staysail stay, four uppers, four lowers and two backstays (one to each aft quarter) is perhaps overkill?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Nah, not at all. In fact, I'm surprised you risk sailing without a back-up headstay. You might also consider adding some running backstays, check stays, and jumper stays, just in case. Even if you don't have a sprit, go ahead and make up some whisker stays, and a bobstay, because you never know. And since you're hiring a rigger anyway, I would strongly advise that you add keel shrouds (from the chainplates down to the keel tip) to help support it when heeling, as well as a "rudder stay" from the end of the keel to the skeg. If you don't have a skeg (heaven help you), you could add a pivoting toggle at the base of your spade rudder. If this is a full keel boat, then you'll need a boomkin off the stern and the rudder stay can be led down from there (this is technically known as a boomkinrudderbackstay, or colloquially "bumpkinruster", but it's not a term you often hear nowadays). Don't forget lots of baggywrinkle all around for good, safe measure. Upsize everything because, well just because.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-25-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
He does have a staysail stay as well as a forestay..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Nah, not at all. In fact, I'm surprised you risk sailing without a back-up headstay. You might also consider adding some running backstays, check stays, and jumper stays, just in case. Even if you don't have a sprit, go ahead and make up some whisker stays, and a bobstay, because you never know. And since you're hiring a rigger anyway, I would strongly advise that you add keel shrouds (from the chainplates down to the keel tip) to help support it when heeling, as well as a "rudder stay" from the end of the keel to the skeg. If you don't have a skeg (heaven help you), you could add a pivoting toggle at the base of your spade rudder. If this is a full keel boat, then you'll need a boomkin off the stern and the rudder stay can be led down from there (this is technically known as a boomkinrudderbackstay, or colloquially "bumpkinruster", but it's not a term you often hear nowadays). Don't forget lots of baggywrinkle all around for good, safe measure. Upsize everything because, well just because.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-25-2007

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
what for

You can try sailing jib only, the boat looks lame, and why would you. Try balancing the sails for the wind and it all is for the better. Yes you can. Esp. with the wind behind you. If you are shorthanded it is a good thing and if you add a little diesel it can be all balanced out. Why not sail, a sailboat?
Old 03-06-2010
Not A Real Member

Grumpymx is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old post but the Practical Sailor article month/year was never posted. I expect that the reference is to Practical Sailor January 1997.
Old 03-06-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpymx View Post
I know this is an old post but the Practical Sailor article month/year was never posted. I expect that the reference is to Practical Sailor January 1997.
Grumpymx,

Hey, thanks for that follow-up! That article has been mentioned in a few places around here and no one to my knowledge had been able to find it yet (Robert Gainer, our good and knowledgeable friend who participated in this conversation, passed away not long after this thread got going.)

So, do you have a copy of the article handy, and if so, could you possibly summarize the findings? I'm sure my memory did not get it quite right.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-06-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Better yet, is that article available online or by back order?

Not that I find PS to be that great of a rag. Personal opinion obviously. I know may think of this mag as better than sliced bread. But the articles I see in the mag, for the cost, is rather short, altho some do have some good info. the more available/advertised rags have as good of info at times too.

I was in a WM looking for a GOB yesterday, and there were back issues still available up to a year ago on the shelf. BUT< this could be the store I was in too, most customers are probably ski boat oriented knowing the branch and area of town I was in. The three other stores I frequent at times sell out from my understanding.

marty
Old 03-07-2010
Not A Real Member

Grumpymx is on a distinguished road
The Jan/1997 article date comes from my 93 year old uncle who has been a PS reader for years.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Practical Sailor only has back articles from Jan 1998 to present online for download. I have emailed them to see it they can send a copy by regular mail......
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer from Practical Sailor"
Dear Sir,

We are sorry we only go back as far as 1998.

Jennifer

Jennifer Jimolka
Belvoir Media Group
Ph: 203 857 3144
Fx: 203 857 3158

Last edited by Grumpymx; 03-08-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: update