SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Happy to be here... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/37402-happy-here.html)

sailhog 10-05-2007 01:16 PM

Happy to be here...

Just got back from scaring the hell out of myself, and I thought it might be worthwhile to mention a couple of points about singlehanding without an autopilot... It's blowing between 15-20 here right now, but the wave action is robust due to the NE winds we've had for the last week or so. Anyway, I crossed Port Royal Sound at about 7.5 to 8.0 kts, and once I got out to Atlantic, I came about and headed home. Not a lot to mention up to this point, other than the fact that I always had a rail in the water and was getting jacked by the wave action every step of the way. Can't say it was blowing like snot, but handling the helm and the sails simultaneously was a bit much. Finally, as I came in for the last stretch, I accidentally jibed just as I was adjusting the headsail, and I damn nearly had to swim home. Can't begin to describe how close I came... I'm still shaking. Anyway, I'm back. Need to clean my shorts.

TrueBlue 10-05-2007 01:20 PM

I've done that sh - that boom sure swings fast and hard, especially when sheeted out. Times like that, a solo-sailor's glad he was tethered to the boat . . . which of course you were . . . right?

johnhalf 10-05-2007 01:20 PM

Were you using a tether? If not, will you start?

sailhog 10-05-2007 01:29 PM

TB, John,
Nope. No tether. Definitely will start. I'm generally pretty steady on my feet, but the stern sort sloshed to port as it jibed -- just as I was screwing around with the starboard winch... It was just a weird sail all the way around. I'm never nervous on the boat, but I was this time. Just felt like I was clutzy... cut my finger, nearly went OB... A weird, wild two-hour ride...

bestfriend 10-05-2007 01:31 PM

Beers on me Hog. Glad you're ok.

sailhog 10-05-2007 01:36 PM

BestFriend,
Get your ass down here and buy me a beer! NOW!

bestfriend 10-05-2007 01:37 PM

Sorry, gotta wait for the housing inspector. I am shaking too.:eek:

sailortjk1 10-05-2007 01:50 PM

I hate when that happens.
Seriously, sailing down wind and the accidental jibe is one of the worse things that can happen as far as I am concerned.

CharlieCobra 10-05-2007 02:01 PM

Yeah, it kinda sucks. One thing I gotta watch for that you guys don't is that clubfooted staysail on an accidental gybe. It'll sweep ya off the fordeck in a heartbeat. Nothing like 12' feet of stika spruce changing sides at knee level to get your attention.

TrueBlue 10-05-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailortjk1 (Post 202630)
I hate when that happens.
Seriously, sailing down wind and the accidental jibe is one of the worse things that can happen as far as I am concerned.

Ever try recovering from an accidental jibe when solo-sailing wing 'n wing - while using a whisker pole?

Happened a couple weeks ago with me - the pole and 150 genoa ended up submerged with starboard rail in the water in a 26 kt gust - with me clammering around trying to straighten the boat out. It happend so fast, I felt like a pendulum hammer. I refuse to pole out while solo anymore.