Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I think I'd make sure the boat wasn't on her way to the seabed before I attended to any injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Pretty much all the input has been great , but go with the 6 Ps . Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance. Or as Bayden Powell would tell the Boy Scouts Be Prepaired . I think Sasha pointed out earlier to delegate tasks to your crew , doing so will prepair them for the possibility of the unthinkable . I have an Aunt that is terrified of the water and her son keeps trying to get her to sail by glossing over the dangers saying things to me like " dont talk to her about what if situations or how to act in an emergency" and the like. So the first thing I tell her before she ever set foot on my boat was " Any time you set foot on a boat you are at the mercy of the sea" My cousin shruggs and shakes his head , but my aunt still came aboard and has overcome her fear of the sea ( well not entirely) but somewhat. Plan for the worst case senario allways . Back up that senario with what if senarios. Who is going to do what , assuming all of you are still alive and ablebodied after the incident has happened. Who is going to call Pan-Pan or Mayday-Mayday , who is going to account for crew ? Who is going to prepare the liferaft?
Who is going to assess damage? Who is going to stay at the helm ? Who is going to grab the EPIRB and trigger it ? Who knows whare the fire extinguishers are and how to deploy them ? Who is going to grab the ditch bag ? Etc etc and who is going to replace that person if they are unable to do their task ? Lots to think about , uncomfortable to think about but must be done. Theres no time left once something has happened to start planning
for it. I dont want to scare the crap out of you and dissuade you from sailing
but I do want to hear you all make your ports of call in one piece , no matter what happens out there.

Captain Ron: If its gonna happen its gonna happen out there

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.