Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I think I'd make sure the boat wasn't on her way to the seabed before I attended to any injuries.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Pretty much all the input has been great , but go with the 6 Ps . Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance. Or as Bayden Powell would tell the Boy Scouts Be Prepaired . I think Sasha pointed out earlier to delegate tasks to your crew , doing so will prepair them for the possibility of the unthinkable . I have an Aunt that is terrified of the water and her son keeps trying to get her to sail by glossing over the dangers saying things to me like " dont talk to her about what if situations or how to act in an emergency" and the like. So the first thing I tell her before she ever set foot on my boat was " Any time you set foot on a boat you are at the mercy of the sea" My cousin shruggs and shakes his head , but my aunt still came aboard and has overcome her fear of the sea ( well not entirely) but somewhat. Plan for the worst case senario allways . Back up that senario with what if senarios. Who is going to do what , assuming all of you are still alive and ablebodied after the incident has happened. Who is going to call Pan-Pan or Mayday-Mayday , who is going to account for crew ? Who is going to prepare the liferaft?
Who is going to assess damage? Who is going to stay at the helm ? Who is going to grab the EPIRB and trigger it ? Who knows whare the fire extinguishers are and how to deploy them ? Who is going to grab the ditch bag ? Etc etc and who is going to replace that person if they are unable to do their task ? Lots to think about , uncomfortable to think about but must be done. Theres no time left once something has happened to start planning
for it. I dont want to scare the crap out of you and dissuade you from sailing
but I do want to hear you all make your ports of call in one piece , no matter what happens out there.

Captain Ron: If its gonna happen its gonna happen out there