Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
blttoski-nope, wasn't me, if you read my first post you would know that I was southbound on the Whidbey side of the lanes. If you look at the picture in 48 on the Whidbey shore it was in the mddle of the half moon bay there between the two points, ended up well into the bay. When I first saw the article I did get a little nervous though:-)) John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2007
Courtney the Dancer

blt2ski- after reading your post again, I take offense at you insinuating that I may have "concocted" a different story to "save my butt"(and then post it here for analysis?). I think it only reasonable if you are going to imply that I may be a damn liar to at least take the tiime to read the frikken post first. Too much to ask? John

Old 11-06-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
John,

I saw article last weekend, things looked to similar. so All I was asking without trying to insinuate etc, is was this you? I did not see dates or times in any of your posts!

With that in mind, obviously this is/was not you. Go from there!

Not even sure this is worth responding to etc but then again...............
Old 11-06-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Cool

After reading this thread, I did notice a few possible errors here. If a vessel is in a TSS and there is a traffic controller then there is a great possibility that that vessel's VHF is on the TSS ch. and not 16/13. Note that Tofino Traffic and Seattle Traffic are on two different channels also.
Also noted the inappropriate usage of the the danger signal... Gesh!! if you are under power in fog making way, you sound one prolong blast on your horn not more then two minutes apart. Vary this by a few seconds to keep from being in sync with another vessel's horn.
Also if a vessel is in a TSS and you are just outside the TSS, it is too easy to either vessel to cross that imaginary line and still believe that they are either still in or out of the TSS. If you are outside of the TSS stay well clear of the lanes. Then you won't have that ambiguity of, are you in or out, as you plow along the imaginary edge of the lane. Also you may be on different VHF channels also and have 'no joy' there either. This where it pays to have two VHFs on board your boat. Set on the different working channels in your area.
AIS appears to becoming an important tool for safe navigation. especially if it is tied into your radar. Everything over 300 tons is now required to have one. Like having a transponder on board broadcasting your position, Safetywise goes beyond radar alone. Lets you know where the big fellows are at.

One other small detail. Even if you are not required to report in to traffic control in the area you are transiting, it is best you do so. So that they know that you are there, the direction you are going and what kind of craft you are. Give your position to see if they have you on radar also. Some boats do not show up on radar in less than perfect weather. If they can see you, they track you and pass your discription and posit on to other vessels.

Last edited by Boasun; 11-06-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2007
Courtney the Dancer

Boasun-appreciate your comments, however I think you misread my post. I said I "should" have sounded the danger signal when we were very close(which still would have been wrong according to the rules until I had him in sight), I was sounding the fog signal. I was scanning 16, 13 and 5 ( Seattle Traffic) on the VHF and the tug never called on any of them. John

Old 11-06-2007

One of the problems of all of the vessels on the waterways & seas is that they are operated by humans. Now if we had a few Klingons as captains...?
Old 11-20-2007

cvj is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to cvj
My own requirements for navigating safely in busy Puget Sound include monitoring channel 14 (VTS) at all times and correlating that info with the AIS display on my laptop running Coastal Explorer ... this gives me a good idea of any possible/potential conflicts as well as giving me the name of the vessels transmitting AIS information... lots easier to get a reply on VHS when you can use the name of the vessel you want to contact.

My point is why rely solely on radar when AIS receivers and navigation software are relatively inexpensive. In the case of the encounter with the tug in the fog, the tug would have been visible on the sailboat's AIS up to 12 miles away and would have been identified with name. A call to VTS control could have sorted out the problem with the Coast Guard relaying the info the the tugboat in case he did not respond to your call on ch13 or ch16...

my 2 cents worth...
Old 11-21-2007

AIS was developed for security purposes but it is rapidly becoming a necessary safety feature on the water. It does give you the other vessel's location, course and speed. Also if hooked up to your radar and ECDIS, it IDs one or more of the blips on your screen and the ECDIS it shows the relationship to you and the land mass around you.
Need someone who has one to let us know about the power drain/usage it has on the vessel's 12 V systems.
Old 11-21-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
AIS does indeed give a wealth of information, but if you're rigged so the names show on your radar screen, you almost need a second radar (or a way to switch off the AIS feed) so you don't lose the smaller contacts who don't have AIS, meaning many of your fishing boats and most recreational boats.

I recently stood a night watch on a small passenger vessel that had all this instrumentation, and the little "old school" radar was the one that would pick up the smaller guys. And with all this information, there's still no substitute for looking out the windows a lot.
Old 11-21-2007

The mark one eye ball is still your best defense against collisions. To many times I've tracked a vessel by eye and never seen it on the radar. Those little radar reflectors are not the best insurance for someone to see you.
Part of the problem of fog is where you are at. Up in the NW or NE USA you have to keep moving. Down here in the deep south USA many times you are running a bayou and you can nudge up to the bank and hold there until the fog lifts. Worked in all of the areas I've mentioned, and pushing mud is a good idea for a full keel boat. But for a boat like Giu. has he would have to keep moving until he finds a pier or wharf to tie up to.
If you can anchor outside the traffic lanes, tie to a pier, that would be good also.
And if you are in a rush to get there. The "There" you arrive at, may not be the place you wanted to go to for a long long time.