SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Offshore First Aid Course (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/3798-offshore-first-aid-course.html)

ridsinga 04-08-2002 11:03 AM

Offshore First Aid Course

We are offering an Offshore First Aid Course taking place on April 19, 20, 21. This course is geared towards sailors who intend to be at least three days from professional medical assistance.
This course will take place in New Paltz, NY and will cost US$400. Anyone interested should email me directly at
ridsinga@ece.concordia.ca

halyardz 04-23-2002 09:12 PM

I work at New Paltz and had no idea the course was offered. Seemed a bit pricey so it wouldn''t have made any difference anyway.

DuaneIsing 04-24-2002 07:38 AM

Pricey is right. For $400 you can get almost 4 aspirin administered during a hospital stay today!

Not trying to pick on your comment, halyardz, since I have no idea what the quality of the instruction is. Just a little funnin''.

I personally plan to take one or more such courses within the next two years, but only if my wife does, also. I want her to be able to help me if I need it, too.

JohnDrake 04-24-2002 09:29 AM

Who is giving the course?

The American Red Cross gives several first aid courses at various levels, generally for $50. I find it hard to imagine that 1) first aid would be different offshore than on land and 2) that anyone in any circumstance would want someone who had just 4 days of instruction attempting more advanced medical treatment on them.

I wonder...is there a medical service that can be accessed via VHF or SSB whereby someone with basic skills but a very advanced medical kit (sutures etc) could actually follow the guidance of a real medical professional over the radio and render meaningful care and treatment???

Just my $0.02

Don Foley 04-24-2002 03:27 PM

There are several companies that offer remote medical help. The ones I''ve seen offer insurance-type assistance as well, if you need to be airlifted or go to a boondock hospital. Do a Google search for "Marine Medical" and a few companies will pop up.

For my $.02, I think $400 for 3 days of training sounds great. I sail with my kids and would consider it worthwhile if I only needed a small part of the training on a single event.

Don

NHM527 11-01-2011 04:49 PM

i hope this becomes a regular event.

agreed $400 seems ok

norman in boston

jackdale 11-01-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHM527 (Post 792644)
i hope this becomes a regular event.

agreed $400 seems ok

norman in boston

9 years ago it was OK

sck5 11-01-2011 08:56 PM

I took a wilderness first responder course that was a week long and more expensive than this but I think it is a good idea for ANYONE going offshore to do something like it.

JoeDiver 11-02-2011 12:11 AM

I haven't seen it offered in the last nine years.....so I doubt it became a regular event.

Faster 11-02-2011 12:30 AM

My son just took an offshore survival course in anticipation of doing the Pac Cup (Double handed SF to Hawaii) next year.. cost around $700. One weekend with an entire day in the water.. he thought it was worthwhile.