Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello,

......... but I have never seen them used, and I don't think anyone cares either.

Barry
It does seem to be one of the most neglected maritime regulations........

I wonder how many casual boaters even know what they are .........

It's hard enough to get them to recognize a DIVE FLAG for gods sake
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
I do not use it.
Another neglected regulation is mooring ball at day.

I chartered lots of different boats and on many I saw the cone and the ball still in original plastic - unopened. That shows it was never used.

When I do see beats with the correct day markers they usually fly a UK flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

full time cruising
Old 10-30-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
In daytime, if you can see a cone (and you won't if it's inside the jib), aren't you close enough to see the whole boat well enough to tell that he's under power and not just sail? Usually not difficult to tell the difference.

I'm trying to think of a situation where it would really matter. Light air, you can tell he's under power just because of the speed and sails luffing or aback. Heavy air, why's he using engine anyway. If in doubt, I assume he's under sail and go around him if I'm under power, and use the sail versus sail rules if I'm under sail. If I'm under sail, he has to avoid me. Yeah, he might make me tack when he's on stbd to my port tack, but he shouldn't, cone or no cone, but I'm scratching my head to think why it could pose a practical (not theoretical) danger to not fly a cone.
Old 10-30-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I use both common dayshapes - but admittedly my main purpose to use them is to confound the other folk sailing the Caribbean charter waters since almost nobody knows what they mean. It is nice to see the larger professionally crewed yachts hoist shapes and understand what they mean.

Old 10-30-2007

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
I use both mooring ball and motoring cone when appropriate.

Motoring cone to show that I’m under way for motor, with sails set.

I disagree with those saying that it is not necessary to show this daytime signal it can be difficult to determine if a boat is under sail or motoring.

Where I sail (Norway) we have lots of sheltered waters with limited space for maneuver and I get angry when I’m under sail and must stand of for a boat which I later find is motor sailing.

That said – this summer I was looking for new motoring cone and I tried three different shops before I found it. In the first one they did not know what it was, in the shop where I found it I had to explain what it is.

I read recently that the police in Germany have started writing fines for boats that does not show correct day time signals.

The mooring ball indicates to other boats that I’m moored, it can be useful if you get hit by another boat while moored.

Last edited by knuterikt; 10-30-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
There was a big stink about mooring balls down here a few months back, with sailing mags suggesting everyone should put them up or risk the wrath of some government department... although in true Aussie style, I think everyone ignored it.

I, for one, don't own any - but then I've got a TS and can hide faster than most!
Old 11-04-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Port Phillip bay where we do 99% of our sailing/motorsailing has a written excemption for vessels under 25 meters for displaying that dayshape. You still need to run a steaming light at night though.

When in Westernport, which has no such excemption...and is mostly a big mudbowl with very narrow channels, we ALWAYS display the day shape.

Sasha
Old 11-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I generally don't motor sail... so don't raise the inverted cone. I also generally anchor within marked anchorages, so don't need the at anchor ball day shape. But I do carry both aboard just in case.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-05-2007

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I once read an article on a British sailing forum several years ago where some yachties complained continuously to the river authorities about jet skis and power boaters breaking the rules and demanding that something be done.

The next weekend the police boat was out on the river ticketing all the jet skiers and power boaters flouting the rules AND all the yachties anchored without round shapes or motoring without inverted cones!!

Just a case of keeping your own back yard clean, so to speak.

I must say though, it's really nice to see a commercial vessel with the correct day shapes because often it's not easy from a distance to see whether large ship is steaming towards you or on anchor. The round ball off the front is reassuring indeed.
Old 11-05-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
I use both mooring ball and motoring cone when appropriate. I comply with the rules, It is all part of the sailing experience. For those folks that motor around oblivious I say God Bless You... If ever you are involved in an incident your seamanship will be judged

Fair Winds,

Bill