Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your posts so far. Faster is right, that we were sailing in BC coastal waters, not a harbour, but a channel that was more narrow than most of that area. To respond to the request for more information:

1) We were sailing north with full sails up, at speed about 6 knots, the fishing boat was coming south on our port side, with about 500 feet or more between us (a bit hard to guess exact distance).

2) It was daylight with good visibility, slight chop/waves, breezy--just a really good sailing day.

3) The fishing boat was coming down the middle of the channel, so I had already headed off further to starboard to give more room, and thought there was plenty of space between us.

4) The fishing boat was travelling under power, with a small bow wave. It was a fairly traditional looking fishing boat--looked a bit like a tugboat, with the metal poles (outriggers?--I don't know much about fishing ) not quite vertical on either side of the boat (ie. at about 11:00 and 1:00 position on port and starboard. There was no visible sign of netting or of fishing activity underway (to my untrained eye), but I may not know what to look for. There were no buoys or markers in the water.

5) The fishing boat and our boat were the only boats in sight.

6) I was on the helm and watching the fishing boat quite carefully for any sign of anything--he did not change speed or course, but he did come forward on his boat to sound his horn 5 times (I know that means possible danger) and wave his arm and yell something. I interpreted that to mean that he thought we were too close, and immediately turned hard to starboard to create as much additional room as possible. He acknowledged that with a wave and continued on his way. At no time did he change speed or direction.

7) I didn't interpret any of his actions as malicious or rude, but was puzzled that he thought we were too close when I thought we had left him plenty of room (I think about 500 feet or more, enough that I could see him but not make out any facial features, nor understand what he shouted--but close enough that I could hear his air horn and that he had yelled something at us).

So mainly I am wondering, for future, how much room fishing boats need, how to tell if they are actively fishing or just motoring along, and if this varies according to the type of fishing underway.

I can tell the difference between these fisherman and recreational fisherman, and also those working on crab pots, so my question is more about a fishing boat underway as outlined above.

Thanks again for your replies and for any additional thoughts on this.

Frank.

Last edited by FrankLanger; 11-02-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
If they are in the channel do not they pose a hazard to navigation in and of themselves?
I routinely give anchored bass boat/sportfisher types a ration of crap when they anchor in the 100 yard wide mouth of the Magothy river -it's a marked channel both red and green marks, and when I say anchored I mean anchored dead smack in the middle.
Comments welcome..am I right to give 'em hell?
Old 11-02-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
That's bizarre, how long have they been there? In one place? Have you ever seen them being tended?

It is very out of character for nets that far offshore to be located in a stationary position for very long (more than a week or so). I wonder if they are abandoned or lost?

No high-flyers? Beer Kegs? Very peculiar.

Wow, what 2 minutes can do.... I was responding to True Blue's post about the RI offshore nets.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok

Last edited by AjariBonten; 11-02-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-02-2007

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
I am using "channel" a bit loosely. It was not a marked channel with red/green buoys to mark navigation; rather it was a relatively narrow stretch of water. It is wide enough there that neither of us was blocking navigation, so no violation of regulations, other than the question of whether I had given enough room, and perhaps whether he should have given any other indication of fishing being underway.

As I mentioned in the posts above, I had thought I had given more than enough room, and I don't think he was trying to create a problem for me, as he seemed satisfied when I veered off to starboard to give more room. I'm still puzzled as to how 500 feet of room between the boats would cause concern--but I don't know what he might have been dragging behind under water.

Frank.
Old 11-02-2007
Aquaholic

I think you are dead on, Chuck. Anchoring in a channel is a no-no IMHO; esp a narrow one like you describe.

Frank, sounds like you did the right thing too. It's hard to know what CF's are doing, even having been one.

And technically, a commercial fising vessel that is actively fishing should be flying a day signal. (Usually an fish basket hung in the rigging, though there is an official one, an cylinder maybe?)
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-02-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
a Cone, inverted I thought...(navigation impeded, or maybe that's anchored)..
Old 11-02-2007
Aquaholic

A ball is for anchored .....

Cone is for under sail and power, no?

Double cone maybe?
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-02-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjariBonten View Post
That's bizarre, how long have they been there? In one place? Have you ever seen them being tended?

It is very out of character for nets that far offshore to be located in a stationary position for very long (more than a week or so). I wonder if they are abandoned or lost?

No high-flyers? Beer Kegs? Very peculiar.

Wow, what 2 minutes can do.... I was responding to True Blue's post about the RI offshore nets.
It is bizarre, but apparently the trap company has had the rights for this spot for decades. The nets have been there for as long as we've been boating off Newport's coastline - since the late 80's. It's not marked on the current charts, but the USCG Notice to Mariners has noted it several times.

Here are two charts, one a reduced and cropped portion of the Block Island to Martha's Vineyard chart, the other a closeup of the net area which I've crudely marked. The red line is the course between Can 2 and the Sakonnet Point bouy, two waypoints commonly used enroute to Cuttyhunk Island, a layover to the Vineyard and shown to the far right of the first chart. The blue dots represent the floating beer kegs. You can see how disruptive the net is.

Old 11-02-2007
Aquaholic

Double Cones, points together so it looks like an hourglass............. (you are WAY more likely to see a basket in the rigging, I haev never known a fisherman to use the official day signal, and you will WAY impress them by knowing what the basket is for!)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/nmc/navrules.pdf page 93

Warning, HUGE PDF file in link
..... Gordon Bok

Last edited by AjariBonten; 11-02-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2007
Aquaholic

TB, yes they are set up like a picket line, what a PIA!!!

From what you say it seems to me like they are there not for fishing but as a place holder of some sort to keep some sort of lease "grandfathered".

Not cool, but probably not uncommon.
..... Gordon Bok

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.