Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Knot Suggestion Needed

We're getting ready to tarp the boat for winter. Bought a bag of Griff-Clips and a bunch of bungee cords. As luck would have it, the eyelets on the Griff-Clips are too small for the hooks on the bungee cords. So I was thinkin' of making some loops/rings out of small rope. Question is: What knot to use? Ideally it shouldn't take up much rope, but it needs to remain secure under varying, or no, load.

Suggestions?

Btw: Fooling with a double fisherman's knot, I accidentally came up with a new one. I wonder what it is? Seems secure. If I can't find it, I'll post a picture of what I've got, and maybe somebody else can identify it.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
WTH is a Griff Clip???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-17-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
WTH is a Griff Clip???

The above graphic shows what appears to be a slip-knot, or better yet, a running bowline:

Old 11-17-2007
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Can't be a running bowline, as both ends of the rope always face/run in the same direction. Anyway Y running a - normal 1 should do fine.

And still not sure what a Griff Clip is.
Old 11-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks TB... I've seen the clips before...didn't realize they had a specific name.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-17-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I only know 4 knots. I'd use a bowline. It's the best, for me.
Old 11-17-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
I must've explained inadequately. I want just a loop. The idea is to create a loop that passes through the eyelet in the Griff-Clip to which the bungee can be hooked.

Surprised you didn't know what a Griff-Clip was, SD. They've been mentioned a couple times, recently, in Gear & Maintenance.

Btw: My unknown knot turned out to be a strangle knot or strangle snare. Funny that I stumbled over it entirely by accident .

Jim
Old 11-17-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Make a loop with a blood knot to join the two ends.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Or a Double Fisherman's Bend.

Don’t waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.

Last edited by Tartan34C; 11-17-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Try taking a little piece of line and pass it trough the clip, then tie a square knot with the two ends. To finish it, tie an overhand knot with each of the tails so it can't come undone. You should now have a loop big enough to work with. It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

If you don't like that, put one end through the eyelet on the clip, then tie a stopper knot so it can't come back through. Then tie a bowline with the free end and use that for the loop. You should tie an overhand knot with the tail in the bowline so it can't come undone during some winter storm and you lose the tarp.

You could even tie a small bowline trough the clip eyelet, and another on the other end of the line for the bungee hook.

There are a thousand ways to go about this, just use simple knots that you already know.

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 11-17-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2007
Telstar 28

A blood knot would work, but I'd use a Fisherman's Knot, which is basically an overhand knot tied around the standing part of each end. It uses less line than a blood knot and takes up less space.

Once the two knots are jammed up against each other, this knot is very unlikely to come loose. The higher the load, the better it generally holds.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-17-2007 at 05:20 PM.