Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011

timangiel is on a distinguished road
they are clueless

They let anyone who has the money to buy a boat out on the water. Most of them have no clue as to right of way, let alone what their wakes are doing. Some of them know better and don't care, others don't even know they are doing something wrong.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Boasun is right, you'll find much more consideration from the commercial captains than the recreational ones. Ask any of the small-boat people making a trek on the Mississippi river. The huge towboats always reduce to clutch speed for the lightweight boats and canoes, provided they can see them. It's karma, they've all been in the situation when they needed a dead slow bell from someone else.
Old 07-27-2011

jmayton is on a distinguished road
I wonder if the use of a paint-ball-gun would be considered unlawful. I can picture the consternation at the dock when he is contracting with a boat cleaning service to remove a half dozen or more neon green paint sploshes from his deck house.
Old 07-27-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Bow to stern man- 15 degrees off the point of either. Shoot a biird and keep livin Joe.
Old 07-27-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
I just looked up "paintball grenades" online. Never thought they existed but they do. One of these thrown inside the sliding doors of a powerboat salon would seem like the perfect way to "redecorate" the offenders interior in bright dayglow green. Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
The new little digital camcorders are just the ticket for this stuff. You can loop forever and just save what ya need. I like the paintball stuff too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Boasun is right, you'll find much more consideration from the commercial captains than the recreational ones. Ask any of the small-boat people making a trek on the Mississippi river. The huge towboats always reduce to clutch speed for the lightweight boats and canoes, provided they can see them. It's karma, they've all been in the situation when they needed a dead slow bell from someone else.
Not sure I agree with this. Up here the lobsta men refuse to respect the "no wake zones". I get woken up every morning at 5 AM by the lobster boats going out, pushing wake enough to violently rock the boat in the slip.

We also see way to many idiots with more money then brains flying past smaller boats, sail boats, kayaks, etc. in side and out of the no wake zones. This past week end we were in the process of setting our sails in the no wake zone and this idiot comes up flying towards us. I was pointing at the no wake buoy and shouting at him. I finally gave him the finger and his response was to give me the finger and speed up. Waking our friends about a 1/8 of a mile in front of us worse.

Our new boat came with a RAM mic at the helm and I have already been yelled at by the coast guard for cursing at someone over channel 16 for waking us.

Even though it goes against everything I believe in, I am starting to support licensing for boaters.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 08-01-2011

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
Interesting discussion on the topic from some power boaters here:

Overtaking or Passing a Sailboat - YachtForums.Com
Old 08-01-2011

Selkie60 is on a distinguished road
Overheard on ch 16 in Boston Harbor: "Hey Salem Ferry, this is a no wake zone! I haven't been rocked like that since I was with your wife!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Just wondering, how do you all define a dangerous wake?

I have frequently rode through wakes from both pleasure and commercial craft, sometimes 8ft crest to trough, on the beam, on the bow and in between. Not pleasant but I would not call it dangerous.