Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011

YARDPRO is on a distinguished road
here we have a lot of 50+ sport fishermens.. most are considerate when crusing, but Katie bar the door when returning with a big catch... also when they are by themselves they will slow more often than when they are in a large group returning from offshore.

I had one 60 foot hatteras trolling cut right in front of me when i was heading out of the inlet then yell at me that i was running over his lines.... idiot..

worse is all the small boats that sit and fish in the channel and will not move out of your way.. At 30' my boat is not huge, but it is a pain when i am pointing at close to my max, and am just joing to mkae out of the inlet, then have to tack or fall off the wind to avoid a bottom fisherman in a 17' flat bottom...

I grew up in power boats, and still own one that we island hop, ski and dive from... i would ALWAYS have the common sense to get out of the way when a large boat comes my way..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2011
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
florida power boaters the worst?

My first sailboat was a little Potter 15. I took it out on the narrow intercoastal between Stuart Florida and Jupiter. The wakes scared the hell out of me as a newbie and I swore I would 'one day' get a bigger sailboat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
There really is no good way for a large power boat to avoid leaving a wake when passing other than signaling, and slowing down to a crawl by the book. People just aren't going to do this. In a narrow, high traffic spot, I always just figure I'm going to roll around from wakes. If you time it right, you can just turn to quarter the waves and then turn again back on course. No huge problem when motoring. Wave and smile. When sailing, most powerboaters have no idea that they will shake the wind out of your sails, cause your boom to jibe, etc. They are not sailors. So maybe we should think ahead and avoid trying to sail a light wind through a heavily trafficked inlet.
The thing that irks me is when a powerboat, with miles of open ocean, thinks he needs to follow my exact course and then come within 100' to pass. It must have something to do with a Pavlovian response linked to always driving a car one behind the other.
Old 09-12-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
The wife and myself were out on Sunday for a few hours and while inside Northport harbor a few to many LARGE powerboats passed a LOT closer than i would like with BIG wakes

BUT after we cleared sand city and headed out into the sound it was FAR rougher and we had a LOT more pounding than what any of the powerboats caused inside were the speed limit is 40 MPH

As a racer in the area i can say for a fact littel or no consideration is given to how a race course will interfere with normal powerboat traffic and its common to use government marks as turning points

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-26-2011

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
What is the best way to handle a big wake coming your way? A few weeks back, I was motoring up the channel, at 5.5 Kts, hugging the right side to let the faster traffic pass. There was a large 45+ ft trawler following me. Up ahead, a fast ferry pulled out of its slip, and headed toward me. I started edging toward the center of the channel, to avoid the wakes tossing me out of the channel. Well the trawler decides to pass, throwing a 2 foot “breaking” wake, and squeezing between me and the fast ferry. I yelled HOLD ON to my crew. The trawler’s wake was about parallel to me, or I to it, and rolled us real good. We then hit the ferry wake which pitched us real good, then the stern wave from the trawler. When we were in the trough between the bow and stern waves, I worried about tripping over. We all grabbed for our life jackets for the balance of the trip. Other than NOT hugging the right side, and not getting parallel to the passing trawler’s wake, what is the best way to handle this? I know I made it worse by turning left to get away from the channel edge, but I had to do that or be pushed aground. The boat is a Mariner 28, about 8,000 lbs displacement. There will always be jerks out there, but what is the best way to handle the result? Truly appreciate the wisdom on this board.
Lou
Lillia
Fair Haven, NJ
Old 09-26-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillia28 View Post
What is the best way to handle a big wake coming your way? A few weeks back, I was motoring up the channel, at 5.5 Kts, hugging the right side to let the faster traffic pass. There was a large 45+ ft trawler following me. Up ahead, a fast ferry pulled out of its slip, and headed toward me. I started edging toward the center of the channel, to avoid the wakes tossing me out of the channel. Well the trawler decides to pass, throwing a 2 foot “breaking” wake, and squeezing between me and the fast ferry....
Lou
Lillia
Fair Haven, NJ
It's hard to say without having been there, but if I'm picturing the series of events accurately, in this case I would have stayed on the edge of the channel. That way I would have plenty of room to turn into the wake (and towards the center of the channel) so that I took it on at a 45 degree angle. Depending on how fast the ferry and the power boat were traveling, by the time I made the turn, they both would have been out of the way leaving me to deal with the wakes. Also, by staying to the far edge of the channel, that gives me a little bit of time to allow the boats to get out of the way before the wake gets to the point where I need to start the turn.

Of course, I would have to be aware of what's approaching behind so that I don't turn into another overtaking boat.

By turning into the wake at around 45 degrees, your boat won't rock side to side as much, potentially putting major strain on the rigging. The bow will plow through the water. It's only the smallest of wakes that I don't turn into it.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-26-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
There are times when a paintball gun sounds like a good idea.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 09-26-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by landmineop View Post
There are times when a paintball gun sounds like a good idea.
Or a compressed air potato cannon.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-26-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
Dayglow orange paintballs would be my choice. Sort of add a "splash" of color to a dull white sportfish or a shiney trawler.
Old 09-26-2011

DoubleEnder is on a distinguished road
Well here is my "bummer" story. And it happened less that two weeks ago in Maine...in an anchorage... in an anchorage with "no wake" signs.

I was having an engine problem and the local yacht club launch was moving me to another mooring 60' away. He had just tied up to me with a line around my stbd side winch and I was tying his bow line to my midships cleat and bam! a local lobster boat coming in for the day flew past us with a huge wake. The result.....not good. The winch took off like a rocket over the side and thank the Lord it didn't harm my wife or the launch driver as it was between them and only a foot from either one. Over the side it went... Hydraulics at work. Solace went up...the launch went down...then visa. verse. Luckily my genoa sheets were wrapped on the winch or it would have been more costly.

Fun times.............