Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011

HELLICONIA54 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCatalina310 View Post
Not sure I agree with this. Up here the lobsta men refuse to respect the "no wake zones". I get woken up every morning at 5 AM by the lobster boats going out, pushing wake enough to violently rock the boat in the slip.

We also see way to many idiots with more money then brains flying past smaller boats, sail boats, kayaks, etc. in side and out of the no wake zones. This past week end we were in the process of setting our sails in the no wake zone and this idiot comes up flying towards us. I was pointing at the no wake buoy and shouting at him. I finally gave him the finger and his response was to give me the finger and speed up. Waking our friends about a 1/8 of a mile in front of us worse.

Our new boat came with a RAM mic at the helm and I have already been yelled at by the coast guard for cursing at someone over channel 16 for waking us.

Even though it goes against everything I believe in, I am starting to support licensing for boaters.
WHAT??? You do not need aboat licence there? Here In OZ if it has a motor(even electric trawling) it must be registered and you must have a boat licence using a powerboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011

Rick486 is on a distinguished road
What I have done which definitely has an effect on the large high speed motor yachts and sport fish is to call them on 16 as they are approaching, remembering that the CG guards 16, and in a very professional tone of voice, ask them their intention. i.e., "...large high speed motor yacht 1.6 mi sw of Someplace Point, this is the large sailboat dead ahead. What are your intentions, sir". After they blow by I note the name on their transom and hail them again, calling attention to their "...dangerous crossing in violation of rules of the road..". Most times the professionally crewed motor yachts will alter course after the first hail. The high speed sport fish are different though. I have done this in the Cape Cod Canal and had canal control call and threaten them after the crossing. It's really all I can do.
Old 09-27-2011

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like radio may be the best bet. The fact is, I didn't have much time. I looked back, and it seemed he would stay put. I looked forward watching the on coming Ferry. My daughter, an experienced sailor, she is head instructor of our youth program, yelled "it's breaking!" and I looked back to see him squeezing between me and the ferry, and indeed his wake was curling. I had started turning into the oncoming Ferry wake, and his wake hit me broadside. Barely enough time to yell "Grab life jackets and HANG ON!" He apparently ran aground , as he called for a tow boat 10 minutes later. He gave his position wrong, and the tow boat came boiling past and did push me out of the channel. That made me start rethinking the hug the right side thing. I may have given the impression it was OK to pass by doing that. Next time, I'll be more toward the center of the channel, and try to block him until its safe for me. I was planning on calling the Marine police when we tied up, but the grounding made me figure the Big Guy was on it! This was just before the Atlantic Highlands Bridge southbound on the Shrewsbury river in NJ. It had been a peaceful Sunday, and I guess I let my guard down!
Lou
Old 09-27-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Mother nature certainly has a way of evening up the score. Have you ever watched a stink pot on a mooring with a 6 inch wake in the harbor?

A couple of weeks back, we were returning from Block Island. The forecast was for seas 1 to 3 ft. While I should have known better with 20 kt winds out of the East, actual seas were 6 to 8 ft. As we finally start heading into the Bay and calm waters, we are passed by several stink pots at full throttle heading toward open water. They must have no idea what they are in for and I just grin thinking about it. Wish I could have turned around to watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-27-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleEnder View Post
Well here is my "bummer" story. And it happened less that two weeks ago in Maine...in an anchorage... in an anchorage with "no wake" signs.
Here in Washington State, the Lobster boat operator would be liable for the damage to the boat and any injury to the crew. You would have had a couple of witnesses. Here the law is very clear on the matter. The problem is usually witnesses or documentation. Your local laws may be different.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2011
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillia28 View Post
... I was planning on calling the Marine police when we tied up, but the grounding made me figure the Big Guy was on it! This was just before the Atlantic Highlands Bridge southbound on the Shrewsbury river in NJ. It had been a peaceful Sunday, and I guess I let my guard down!
Lou
That was just Neptune's way of reminding you to stop off at Bahr's or Moby's!
Old 09-28-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Here in Washington State, the Lobster boat operator would be liable for the damage to the boat and any injury to the crew. You would have had a couple of witnesses. Here the law is very clear on the matter. The problem is usually witnesses or documentation. Your local laws may be different.
The cameras in newer smartphones (like my iPhone) include location as well as date and time in the header field of the picture. Software to extract that information is readily available.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 10-05-2011

stuart 1965 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips_jim View Post
What can be done about the dangerous wakes large boats on or near plaining speed are doing to us slowing moving vessels?
I operate my sailboat on the Intercoastal Waterway in SE Florida in confined waters and have experienced and hear on the VHF radio other boaters asking for a "Slow Pass". Most (9 out-of 10) will slow but others continue on like they don''t care what their wake does to you. Some have even laughed as they passed. I and my wife have been injured and little can be done even if you report it to the Water Police. What value is there in having laws that say "You are responsible for your wake" if no one can prove who did the damage? The police know of the problem but don''t do anything about it, even if they see it happen and in most cases they are no where around. If you file a report nothing is done about it except you get to keep someone in the government employed.
I usually don''t advocate taking the law into me own hands but the practice of "Waking" must be controlled. What laws are there for protecting yourself and property on the water?
Can anyone help?
Hi Jim. It took me a while to work out but damage to my bows was down to a small freighter leaving its dock just before high water to catch the tide out of the river each week. By the time it got to my mooring it was slack water and the wake caused excessive fore and aft rocking and the normally tight ropes to the mooring buoy became slack and the large somewhat rusty ring took it out on my gelcoat. Repair this a couple of times and you look for prevention rather than cure. Rigid sprung bow protector on ebay, same price as a gelcoat repair kit but you only do it once. I am now waiting with my camera to catch the evidence !
Old 10-05-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
A little anecdote on the wake issue: About 30 years ago, when I was digging clams for a living, there were three or four of us working the harbor when this
J a$$ comes into the harbor in a huge 50+' yacht at full tilt, right next to one of my buddies. Bob held frantically onto his gear and rake, barely avoiding being tossed in the water. Well, the next thing, I look up and see that Bob is coming up alongside this inconsiderate idiot, methodically throwing chowder clams through all his windows. He went round both sides and wasted perhaps a dozen perfectly good chowder clams. Of course, the yachtie, now panicked, was right on the horn to the harbor police who came on over and told the guy he probably shouldn't have thrown that big wake and probably should return from whence he came and that he could file a complaint later. Sometimes there is justice. Never heard from him again. You can see how commercial fishermen usually have a poor view of yachties because these kinds of things happen all the time.
Old 10-06-2011

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road
sometimes there is justice

At our yacht club on the Hudson, we had only months before installed a video surveillance camera. Some members were at the sea wall pouring concrete for a bandstand when a large yacht blasted close by at high speed. The wake broke over the sea wall and did some damage to the still wet concrete. One of our members is a retired police officer, who got on the phone to the police crew about 10 miles north. They stopped the guy on the river and put him in a taxi back to our club. He pleaded "not guilty" until they showed him the video! At that point he apologized and broke out his wallet and paid for the damages. We were lucky!!