Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The question I have is did you break up with her or marry her...
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerman40 View Post
No shortage of running aground for me. I've only been sailing for a couple of years on a prairie lake and was all proud of my accommplishment of learning to sail. Did everything by the book .....So, of course, my girlfriend and I decided to take her parents for a sail around the lake. I wasn't in the water sailing more than 30 minutes when I rounded the point from our bay, where the yacht club is, and sailed too close to the shore, grounding on a sandbar that I knew about. Now that is embarrassing. I had everyone stand on the port side and I put the boat in reverse to pull off. Thank God it was a sunny and relatively calm day. Minor event but my red face didn't think so.

Yes Mr. and Mrs. So and So, I'm going to sail around the world with your daughter and everything will be fine. What an adventure it will be........riiiiiiiiiight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2008

Triquetra is on a distinguished road
I live on the ICW in Melbourne, FL, and have been told by the locals that grounding is something you do periodically, unless you do not sail your boat. I have a Corsair 36 trimaran (my first boat) with a 6 foot centerboard and a 4 foot rudder, though the hull draws only about 18 inches. My worst grounding occurred when I was sailing out of a shallow anchorage. I had a following wind and the main and jib were fully deployed and I was doing about 4 knots when I wedged myself in the mud. Unfortunately, at that point the 5-7 knot wind turned my boat and I found myself stern to the wind. I was prudent enough to have my centerboard floating (through past experiences), but my rudder was locked down by a line in a cam-lock, with the wind keeping significant tension on it. I furled the jib, but could not drop my main, and my little 25 HP engine could not back me out. I finally hopped in the water, holding tightly to the rail, cut the line to release the rudder and jumped onboard before the boat took off. My girlfriend was ready to retreive me in case of problems, but I was able to turn the boat into the wind and away from the shallows with the engine, then lower and secure the rudder for a less exciting trip home.
Old 01-15-2008

rcosler is on a distinguished road
Wink Chesapeake Reality

Actually, as regards those who have actually sailed the Chesapeake, there is only one group. Those that have gone aground!

A couple of years ago I was following a friend's power boat back to his home on Kent Island. He got a bit to far ahead of me and I made a wrong turn down a smaller creek. Ran aground and despite all efforts, including winching, rocking, and power boat assist, she stayed stuck until the next day. If only I'd had a bunch of teenagers on board.

Bob
Old 01-15-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Minor event but my red face didn't think so.
Your supposed to do what I do.
Whenever we have guests on board and something does not go quite as planned, I just kind of pretend like it didn't happen. Or "I meant to do that."

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Scooter—

Welcome to sailnet... and I'd highly recommend you ask the mods if you can change your user handle, unless you want that e-mail address to get flooded with spam.

One problem with the corsairs is that they have a dagger board, and I've seen enough of them have leaks from the dagger board trunk due to a grounding of the board... I've also seen a fair number snap the dagger board off.

I'd also recommend you read this post to get the most out of your time here on sailnet.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-15-2008

atalan31 is on a distinguished road
hmmm, quite sure I would miss a few if I tried counting how many times I've run aground. The bigger the boat the more indelible the event is in my memory.

Swing keels sure have a nice fudge factor built in. Getting the sail down IMMEDIATELY is my response in a big boat. Then start the procedures, heeling, backing, kedging off, before you call for a tow.

TW
Old 01-15-2008

millerman40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The question I have is did you break up with her or marry her...
Unfortunately, like that big trout you've been eyeing, in the pool of water, under that branch hanging over the stream that suddenly latches onto your hook...........she got away.
Old 01-15-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Unfortunately, like that big trout you've been eyeing, in the pool of water, under that branch hanging over the stream that suddenly latches onto your hook...........she got away.
Sounds like you may have spent a wee more time fishing then ....... lol
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

And she was a wealthy supermodel...

That would make it the typical fisherman's tale of the one that got away.
Quote:

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-15-2008

millerman40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Sounds like you may have spent a wee more time fishing then ....... lol
Well, like Brad Paisley's song says " I'm gonna miss her, oh looky there another bite". LOL

Or as sailors like to say, off to another port !