Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008

THCadams40 is on a distinguished road
Taking the ground (inadvertently).

Some time ago we did a few bareboat charters in the Whitsunday Islands group (otherwise known as the Sir James Smith group) on the central Queensland coast (Australia).
Reading the log of one boat --- SVAAP ---- was quite interesting.
The young couple from the US had not experienced the 5 metre tides before and found themselves on coral in a known area but without enough water.

The log entry spoke of attempts to cushion the glass hull as it heeled and of the seaplane assistance from the charter company, and the loss of the bond money as a result of the exercise.

The youngish lady in the crew spoke highly of the "lovely brown eyes" of the joint owner of the charter company as he managed the resting and the recovery of the yacht --- a Mottle 33.

Their log entry did the trick for us, we were fully alert to the anchorages and the prospective tidal range from that reading onward.

Lesson learned.

Cheers.
Terry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodan View Post
a lead weight
Yodan does things like real sailors.
Lets see, the lead line has been around for what, maybe since the beginning of time. Nothing like keeping the old traditions alive.
I'm sure that he also still uses his sextant and actually trails a log and counts knots to determine his SOG.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-17-2008
can't name here 31

cssdengr is on a distinguished road
My most memorable grounding was when I was in highschool - I spent my summers working at a Marina on the Magothy (one river north of Annapolis) and crewed on somebody's boat every Wednesday for the Gibson Island races. This particular Wednesday I was on a Cal 29 who's owner was/is a great racer. We were running late and hurrying to get to the starting area, the owner was below with his charts and the other crewman, an Air Force officer, was at the helm. I was hanking on the jib, resting my butt on the bow rail.

I was only sort of paying attention when I heard the zoomie at the tiller muttering "red right, returning...we're returning to the Bay so I should go to the right...". It took a second before it dawned on me what he said - I looked over my shoulder to see that we were in fact headed to the right of a green marker, generally heading toward a crowd of people having dinner in a gazebo in front of their condos. I stood up to just as we hit hard, my momentum carrying me over the bow rail. It must have been a good back flip because I could hear the dinner crowd arguing over whether the judges should have given me an 8 or a 9. At the same time down below, the boat's owner fell into his settee shattering it.

The water where I landed was only waist deep so I between revving reverse and me pushing the boat came right off, me swimming after it as it raced in reverse. The owner was now on deck at the helm and he sent the zoomie to help me back aboard. I was able to grab the toe rail and swing one leg up which he promptly grabbed causing me to lose hold of the toe rail so now I'm hanging upside down, facing away from the boat with my head bouncing on the water. Zoomie then grabbed the cuff of my shorts to pull me aboard but all that did was cause them to pull down to my ankles - I distinctly remember being able to hear laughter from the gazebo. Zoomie dropped me and I managed to lose my shorts before they finally got me back aboard.

We did get to the race on time and for the whole race all I had to wear was my T-shirt tied around my waist. I do remember that we won.
Old 01-17-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
cssdengr, great story. Thanks for the laugh.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2008

Cal25sailor is on a distinguished road
I'm very fortunate that my boat only draws 4'. I've squished aground near Middle River on the Chesapeake Bay, It took about 30 minutes to sail off with the boom out and two crew hanging at the end. While racing near Annapolis, I've "bounce tacked" a few times, where we go shallow to get out of current till the depth guage tells us we're getting close to 4', then tack away. Often, mid-tack, the keel will nudge bottom until healed on the new tack. One of my competitors has a pin chart at his office, where he shows all the different places he's gone aground in his 40 years of sailing.
Old 01-18-2008
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
LOL .... guys this is the "seamanship" section!!! What has running aground got to do with this?

Personally I've never done it - and I will never do it again!
Old 01-18-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Barlow View Post
LOL .... guys this is the "seamanship" section!!! What has running aground got to do with this?

Personally I've never done it - and I will never do it again!
Because if you are sailing in shore you will run aground more then once. Thus exchanging tales of woe and how we extracted ourselves from them is a learning experience for other people.

Oh! this is something you don't want to do in the PNW and ANE of the USA & Canada.
Old 01-19-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I have run aground in several boats over the years. One of my favorite memories was when I was out sailing in the Chesapeake near the South River, we were sailing and ran aground and the 4 of us high school friends immediately sprang into action. The captain (not the owner but the man at the tiller) barked out orders as he came about in the 10kt or less wind. "A: Ready the kedging anchor from the bow. B: backwind the jib on my call. C: Start up the motor and help push us off this bar." We were off in a minute or two.
That was a very soft landing.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Caleb, that is an awesome signature!!

Fine stories everyone!

Old 01-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it is where I think you're talking about, I have some photos of a boat gone aground in that very location... These are about a decade old, and not of a lovely gaff-rigged schooner...so I don't think it was you. Especially, since your grounding was 43 years ago or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSticks View Post
On my first passage through the Annisquam, northbound, sailing wing and wing at about 7 knots, I put this boat on the sandbar at the turn just below the Rt. 128 bridge. A nice gradual incline, allowing our 19,000 lb to slide WAY up on the bar. Shortly after high water. On a Sunday afternoon. We had no dinghy, and were unable to get an anchor set abeam for healing her with the main peak halyard. It was going to be a LONG wait, with a 10 ft tide. The good samaritan from a nearby boatyard, after ferrying my wife and five month old daughter ashore, said that according to his log 153 boats landed on that spot the previous summer. At low tide we were more than 100 yards from the nearest water. There we lay, at the end of an ever-deepening long groove in the hard sand, at a perfect viewing angle from the bridge.

I made it back to work Monday morning, hoping this episode was unnoticed. I was immediately greeted by a coworker and Gloucester oldtimer, "Hope you had a clamfork." I don't think he was kidding when he said it was standard practice to transit the Annisquam with one.

My five month old daughter is now 43 and the markers have been improved somewhat, but once in awhile, when you drive over the bridge, you'll still see a big sailboat, high and dry, right down there on the same bar. And my wife always has something else going on when it's time to go sailing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.