Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008

ephman is on a distinguished road
Running Aground

A few years ago, during a cold October evening, we were motoring back to Edward's Marina on the Chesapeake to deal with a engine leak when we realized we weren't sure which inlet to enter. After much debate, the boat owner turned into a small creek. It wasn't long before we went aground with a thud. I was selected to take the dinghy and a long oar and paddle around the boat in increasing circles to estimate the depth so that we could determine the best route to deeper water. The tide was going out. Luckily, we were able to throw the anchor and winch ourselves off.

I'd love to hear about your experiences in "touching bottom" and how you dealt with the situation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I've heard there are two kinds of boaters. Those that have gone aground and those that are going to go aground. I'm in the first group, although the groundings weren't really that unexpected, as I was cutting corners in known shallow waters during an incoming tide. Under those circumstances, it's just a matter of waiting a bit for the tide to come in. It does hurt the ego a bit though.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 01-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Erps-

There are really three groups... those who have gone aground, those who have gone aground and deny it, and those who never leave the dock.

I've been fortunate in that the groundings I've had have been relatively minor and soft bottom groundings... In the boat I have currently, grounding isn't all that much an issue, and when I have gone aground, I hop off the boat and push her off the spot she's stuck on... generally, with me getting my carcass off the boat, she'll rise just enough for me to walk her free... of course, having a board-up draft of 16" or so helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-11-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Only soft bottom grounds when they were anticipated.
Last year was my wife's first time touching the bottom.
"Something felt wierd," was her initial reaction.
I told her it was the bottom and lets not try that again.
We were getting ready to drop the hook off the beach and within close proximity to my buddies trawler. He lured us in too close, depth went from 8 to 5 with nothing in between.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-11-2008
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
hate to say it, but the swing is a good depth sounder, only did it once, but was glad I could pull it up and back it off

Old 01-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TJK-

I'd be just fine in 5' of water.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-11-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
In the Gulf and the Lake down here, mud and silting channels make it a not infrequent occurrence. Generally "easy on, easy off", get all crew on one side to heel the boat, and back out under motor or sail depending on wind direction.

And try not to do it near a lee shore when it's windy. Duh.. ;-)
Old 01-11-2008

cjmcfall is on a distinguished road
While teaching sailing to high school students in the Bay for two summers in an old IOR with over six feet of draft we hit bottom at least once a week. Luckily we always seemed to land in the mud. A few of the marinas should have paid us for all the dredging we did in some of their channels

One interesting way to un-stick yourself from the mud, if you have six teenage kids on board, is to have a few of them swing from the bow to the stern on the main halyard while the others hang off the low side. It's amazing how much you can get a boat to heal with this technique.
Old 01-11-2008

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Every spring & fall I dredge my own channel to & from the travel lift
Old 01-11-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
My depth finder has epileptic fits on occasion, showing we're in 5' of water when it's over 300'. It only seems to happen when the motor's running at the end of the day. Considering I draw 5'6", I know it's full of &*^%.