Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008

aherrick39 is on a distinguished road
Propwalk - response

I have a similar problem with my Catalina 27. If the boat is not moving and I power up hard in reverse, the stern will pull to port and I will quickly find myself turning 90 deg. to starboard.

I also back into my slip. I find that the propwalk actually facilitates this. When docking, I pass my slip to port, then power up in reverse. This pulls the stern towards the slip as well as backing the boat. Once enough speed is up, the boat will respond to the rudder, and I cut the power down just enough to make sternway. After the stern passes thru the pilings, I shift into forward, and apply power appropriately to slow the boat as the stern approaches the dock.

Hope this helps,
Art Herrick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2008
Santana 525 PRESTO

ericroline is on a distinguished road
Prop walk is just part of the beast, some more than others, The Cal 9.2 has a deep rudder that quickly overcomes the prop walk. The worst boat that I've been on is the Catalina 27, it can do circles without end. The rudder is a little small in size, and not very deep.
If you are not sailing one design, you could have a new rudder designed and installed that would reduce most of the prop walk, but not eliminate it.
Old 01-22-2008

MJJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
A back and fill vid. by US sailing
I have been waiting and waiting for someone to call it back and fill, which is the way I learned it. Is that just west coast lingo?
Old 01-23-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericroline View Post
Prop walk is just part of the beast, some more than others, The Cal 9.2 has a deep rudder that quickly overcomes the prop walk. The worst boat that I've been on is the Catalina 27, it can do circles without end. The rudder is a little small in size, and not very deep.
If you are not sailing one design, you could have a new rudder designed and installed that would reduce most of the prop walk, but not eliminate it.
It really probably wouldn't do a thing... Catalinas - whether you have 27 or 30+... the rudder simply doesn't encourage being in reverse unless you master the propwalk - and even then - its not a sure thing... I know a very accomplished sailor with a 30+ that to do this still gets assistance from dock mate because they just like to walk where they do...I had thought initially it was just me.. but when I started meeting up with others...its just a feature you have deal with... - if you have an outboard it is less of an issue..

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-23-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Backing any ship into a slip in anything other than calm is not easy, nor will it ever be. You only get one run at it, and in a Loch Ness blow, the bow will pay off at the first gust. The only counter is to reverse much faster than sanity would allow.

For me, it's all about a crew of three and lots of lines. Even with a single line ashore, it's a totally different game. But alone, in high winds, with an 11 ton ship?.... forget it.

Others no-doubt think otherwise, but they seem to be painting the hull more than we do.

Rockter.
Old 01-23-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJ View Post
I have been waiting and waiting for someone to call it back and fill, which is the way I learned it. Is that just west coast lingo?
I don't think so because that the term I have been using for years here in CT. I do believe the the origin is with powerboats with single screws and I really don't hear "back and fill" often by sailors but all the time in the trawler community.
2007 Hunter 49

Last edited by Brezzin; 01-23-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-23-2008

Teqsun is on a distinguished road
I had a Pearson 28 nice boat. Put on a Max Prop and you will never have a problem backing up.
Old 01-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rockter-

You're a Scotsman... no one would ever claim you're sane. And you sail on a lake with a resident monster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
Backing any ship into a slip in anything other than calm is not easy, nor will it ever be. You only get one run at it, and in a Loch Ness blow, the bow will pay off at the first gust. The only counter is to reverse much faster than sanity would allow.

For me, it's all about a crew of three and lots of lines. Even with a single line ashore, it's a totally different game. But alone, in high winds, with an 11 ton ship?.... forget it.

Others no-doubt think otherwise, but they seem to be painting the hull more than we do.

Rockter.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-23-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
"The worst boat that I've been on is the Catalina 27, it can do circles without end. The rudder is a little small in size, and not very deep.

It really probably wouldn't do a thing... Catalinas - whether you have 27 or 30+... the rudder simply doesn't encourage being in reverse unless you master the propwalk - and even then - its not a sure thing... "

I'm not sure about your 27, but the rudder on mine was about the same size as a garage door.

Propwalk on her was a feature! The "trick" is you have to get a little water moving across the rudder BEFORE you give it a shot from the throttle. If you don't you're going nowhere, slowly.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 01-23-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Backing and filling was originally a sailing term where the head sails were backed and filled with wind to bring a sailing ship down a narrow river. See http://home.att.net/~ShipmodelFAQ/Re...-RN-BandF.html Now it is used to describe the art of using paddle wheel effect (prop walk) to advantage to turn a single screw ship in the shortest distance possible. Basically the idea is to keep active water going over the rudder by having slow headway on but backing the screw and turning the ship in the opposite direction the screw walks the stern. As soon as the headway falls off so the rudder is ineffective, an ahead maneuver is ordered to get active water across the rudder again. Sometimes, as the ship stops the opposite helm is ordered with the engine running astern. It all works well until you add wind, tide, rocks and docks.

Gaz