Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I for one will not regret the time away that going below to get debris would take away from the wheel and watching my COB.
I don't keep a stack of styrofoam plates at the helm. I keep type iv's there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The two times I've had to do an actual real MOB recovery, the MOB did manage to hang onto most of what was thrown in the water to them. We did have to do a second go round for the MOB pole in the case where we used it... the drogue on it didn't deploy IIRC, and it floated away from the MOB.

Of course, I'm a big fan of keeping people on the damn boat in the first place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboardIndigo View Post
Another question - if it's your one true love who's gone over the side, and you fail to locate them on your own and have to call in SAR, are you going to regret NOT leaving a debris field using whatever you have available?

That being said, if you do find yourself in this situation (not as common as this discussion makes it seem) are you really going to go back and retrieve whatever you did throw overboard (styrofoam, cushion, 4 PFDs, or otherwise)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2008
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The two times I've had to do an actual real MOB recovery, the MOB did manage to hang onto most of what was thrown in the water to them. We did have to do a second go round for the MOB pole in the case where we used it... the drogue on it didn't deploy IIRC, and it floated away from the MOB.

Of course, I'm a big fan of keeping people on the damn boat in the first place...
Was that back in your monohull days? I can't believe there's anyway that you were able to get something to your MOB quickly enough for them to grab onto before that rocket of a tri moved out of range...

Just kidding SD. I don't really believe that your tri is that fast.

Okay, this time I'm really just kidding.
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That was in my OPBYC days... I was a proud card carrying member of the OPBYC.. and most of the boats at the OPBYC were monohulls...

With my trimaran, we don't have much in the way of MOBs... and the ones we do have are intentional, with concrete shoes and all. Recovery isn't necessary.

Were you ever a member of the OPBYC... I know lots of people here probably were at one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboardIndigo View Post
Was that back in your monohull days? I can't believe there's anyway that you were able to get something to your MOB quickly enough for them to grab onto before that rocket of a tri moved out of range...

Just kidding SD. I don't really believe that your tri is that fast.

Okay, this time I'm really just kidding.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-15-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Well; let's just say that WHATEVER you throw overboard generally aint coming back onboard except for maybe the victim. By the time you hoist them back onto the deck everything else will have drifted away or gone do DJ's locker anyway so it really does not matter so much what you threw out there; it does matter that what you threw was enough in volume and distinguishable from the wind swept seas to find and keep in your eyesight. I don't care what exactly it is that you send overboard; just be sure that there is enough "stuff" out there that you can recognize a pattern of junk on some distant wave face with your binoculars should you need to widen your search.

What matters most is being able to locate the person who went in. If you are over 2 wave crests away from them I bet you would have an incredibly difficult time finding them; that's where a field of debris can help because if you sail below them and find a piece of debris (even lowly paper or styrofoam plates) you know you are somewhere within range of their position. The other issue is seeing something that is in the trough while you are on the wave crest. What you can see while on the crest is just the other wave crests and maybe a wave face or three on each side. That means that 90% of the sea surface in your visible range is not visible by your eyes.

You have to think in terms of search/rescue; not strictly "rescue because I'm in a position right now to pick them up". What if you miss them on your first attempt and then lose sight? What if the MOB pole loses it's pole end/flag? What if you can't find them before nightfall (and they went in at dusk)? What if your chartplotter shut off while starting the engine and you lost the MOB waypoint?

It's not about "what is the most environmentally friendly thing to do"; its about "what do I need to do to be able to find this postage stamp sized spot on the ocean again?" Think about it. Decide what the best and most visible things to throw in are before you leave the dock so that they are nearby if you need them. Forget about what is good for mother earth; you are trying to save a human life. Would an air horn tied to the horsecollar be a good idea (should the MOB be able to swim to it)? Would a small Radar reflector on the MOB pole be a good idea? You bet...
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

KeelHaulin-

The PFDs on my boat have whistles, strobes and rigging knives attached normally. Also, the chartplotter is isolated from the engine in normal use, so won't shut off when the engine is started.

The best idea is to keep the MOB on the boat in the first place, which one reason I chose a multihull. It is significantly harder to fall off of a boat that is 18' wide and has foot-high bulwarks on the amas, and doesn't heel much past 15˚.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-15-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
About dinghy or kayak:
I did a lot of windsurfing years ago and can tell you that if the board and the rig parted at fall then you have to swim very fast to catch the board.
I think dingy or kayak will do their own way downwind or may even surf a little on some waves.
If you go through all the preparations to have a quick lounch system and a drogue - well then you can have a good preparation for some other system.
I liked very much the orange smoke idea.
What about every crew having a small VHF with them and a strobe light.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising

Last edited by tomaz_423; 01-15-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: quick lounch . not quick lunch
Old 01-15-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The best idea is to keep the MOB on the boat in the first place, which one reason I chose a multi hull. It is significantly harder to fall off of a boat that is 18' wide and has foot-high bulwarks on the amas, and doesn't heel much past 15˚.
Dog, with your speed people get sucked in the air if they raise their head.
We only lost a cap or two this way . But on a tri...
And you ate 3 miles away before they hit water.

P.S. after your video I am thinking of prescribing biodegradable caps on my boat.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

I do velcro the crew to the cockpit benches... it does reduce them falling overboard quite a bit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaz_423 View Post
Dog, with your speed people get sucked in the air if they raise their head.
We only lost a cap or two this way . But on a tri...
And you ate 3 miles away before they hit water.

P.S. after your video I am thinking of prescribing biodegradable caps on my boat.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-15-2008
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I do velcro the crew to the cockpit benches... it does reduce them falling overboard quite a bit...
LOL - Are the crew hooks or loops?