Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You don't stowe the BBQ, ever. What kind of seamanship do you guys practice?? Exactly HOW are you supposed to grill and sail with the BBQ stowed?? Foul weather should never stop a man and his grill... not a real man.

HEHE!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
You don't stowe the BBQ, ever. What kind of seamanship do you guys practice?? Exactly HOW are you supposed to grill and sail with the BBQ stowed?? Foul weather should never stop a man and his grill... not a real man.

HEHE!

- CD
So your not a real man?

Real men don't sail Catalinas.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 02-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Denby-

I'd say you'd have to worry, but CD will never catch you... and as long as you stay out of the range of his BBQ Grill mortars, you'll be fine.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-20-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Denby-

I'd say you'd have to worry, but CD will never catch you... and as long as you stay out of the range of his BBQ Grill mortars, you'll be fine.
No problem, can out sail him any day. Don't have the bbqs to slow me down.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 02-23-2008
Salty

salty4568 is on a distinguished road
Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrathbone View Post
Here's the final answer...

Don't tow your dinghy.

If it's anything more than across a calm lake, towing a dinghy will only result in dissapointment.

It will, however, give you an excuse to go buy a NEW dinghy, so if that's what you're looking for...

S/V Baloo, lying San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

I have to disagree -- sometimes dinghies must be towed. Some of us sail boats without enough deck space for a dink, and I hate inflatables! I've towed dinghies for many miles in many kinds of weather. In bad weather I would rather tie the dink up close to the stern with chafing gear.

I have thought about making a tight-fitting cover for the dinghy, ... with a ridgepole (probably mast) stem to stern underneath, It should keep water out. Anyone try that?

Skip
Old 02-24-2008
capt'n

sandsailor is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty4568 View Post

I have thought about making a tight-fitting cover for the dinghy, ... with a ridgepole (probably mast) stem to stern underneath, It should keep water out. Anyone try that?

Skip
saw that once it was a fiberglass rod hooked into both ends of the dink with a big bow in it. take it out and stick one end in the hole in the front seat and hoist the sail after you unsnap the cover of course
Old 02-25-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
If you have a problem with your dink running into you especially a hard dink, fit a fuel funnel to the tow line just in front of the bridle, pointy end towards the towing vessel. As the towed dink moves over the tow line the funnel fills like a sea anchor and slows the dink saving your top sides.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 03-13-2008

Benjamaphone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty4568 View Post
Some of us sail boats without enough deck space for a dink, and I hate inflatables!
Skip
Have you ever considered rail mounted davits? The advantages of lifting your dinghy out of the water include reduced drag and ease of launch. Many quality rail mount davits are also able to rotate and be easily removed. Some davits also have an adjustable height and reach to get past windvanes or other structures.

The price and commitment that davits represent far outweigh the risk, cost and the catastrophe that losing your dinghy just once would produce.
Old 03-15-2008
wantabe sailing

sailusvi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post

As I am switching to a nesting dinghy and a Portabote, I will likely only tow tenders short distance in the future.
anxiously waiting your nesting dingy review...
Old 03-16-2008

BreakingWind2 is on a distinguished road
[I used to tow my cheapo inflatable by hoisting the stern up onto the reverse transom of my Hunter31, lifting it so the only the bow was in the water and the stern tubes rested on the transom.
[/QUOTE]

Couldn't resist, you had a Hunter 31 and you traded it for a Gemini??