Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010
Geekaholics Anadromous

catamariner is on a distinguished road
On deck for longer passages, definitely. Weather can come up and you do not want to be dealing with the dinghy in a blow/waves. Agree about the likelihood of lines parting at some point (my husband managed to catch our dink on its way out of Boqueron harbor, but he's a really fast swimmer!), and about dink drag slowing the passage down - and another cool feature of on-deck is that even when it's raining you can keep the hatch open for ventilation if you have an inverted dink over it! Our Next Boat has davits, and it's not like we are going to not use them, since they are there already, but we were fine without them on the previous boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2010

damies is on a distinguished road
My outboard is to the starboard of my main hull, so I usually tow the inflatable off the port ama, never had a problem with it going anywhere near the prop

If the wind is likely to get over 8knots I stow it on the Port side between the ama and main hull.

The biggest problem with towing any dingy I have tried, the wake from the dingy is so much that I have to worry about no wash zones, at 6 knots the wash from the inflatable is about 10 times that from my boat, and it gets worse from there.

Dave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave.

1972 Piver Trimaran 7.60m moored near Victoria Point QLD Australia.

My Daughter (Above) Described the bosuns chair as a big swing and said it was fun
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
as far as towing dinks is concerned---towing in seas has made salvors very very happy to have obtained their dink for FREE!!!!! and if ye leave the engine on , is a great help to them, as they donot have to go about purchasing one---lol....there are many folks who have felt that towing was necessary, they are out seeking new dinks as we speak...goood luck and fair winds.....i tow mine by deflating it and stowing on board--the engine goes before the mast quite nicely and i donot have to worry about losing mine to salvors....smooth sailing.....
Old 05-22-2010
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
Depending on conditions, I either "stow it or tow it". But when I DO tow my dinghy (a small hypalon inflatable), I actually bring it VERY close to the stern and tow it backwards, so that only the bow of the dink is in the water. The two pontoon ends brought nearly against the hull. I've never had a problem with abrasion by doing this.

There is an added benefit of doing it this way: When I get to whatever anchorage, or back to the slip, I simply take the mizzen halyard and clip it to the bow bridle and lift the bow of the dinghy right out of the water. As the pontoon ends are already OUT of the water and secured, this keeps the WHOLE dinghy out of the water!!...and out of reach form algae and barnacles. To drop the dinghy in the water, it is a simple task to let go the mizzen halyard. If you don't a mizzen, the main halyard should work just as well to get the bow out of the water while at anchor or dock.

This system works great for me, and doesn't cost a dime and keeps the dink's bottom MUCH cleaner, as the whole thing is out of the water while sitting, yet still immediately ready to go.
Old 05-26-2010
joni duncan

snb25 is on a distinguished road
snb25 joni

wow that alot of ideas i just use a 6 foot floating line i also have a 6 foot hepalon dingy

Last edited by snb25; 05-26-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-2010

OKCUBye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulVoyage View Post
Depending on conditions, I either "stow it or tow it". But when I DO tow my dinghy (a small hypalon inflatable), I actually bring it VERY close to the stern and tow it backwards, so that only the bow of the dink is in the water.
Hey, SoulVoyage, i've thought about this, but haven't come up with a way to do it yet...

rather than re-invent the wheel, can you give me (us) some advice and/or pix on how you did it?

i have a 1972 Morgan 30/2, Yanmar inboard (so no O/B bracket on the stern), with an 8 foot Caribe RIB and a 15 HP Yam 2 stroke O/B

thanx!

(i tried to PM you, but apparently i have to have 5 posts before i can PM anybody. i thought it was easier to do this than to make up 5 "junk" posts! )
Old 09-07-2010

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road
Behind a Miata?

Old 09-18-2010
Capt Ron

southwindphoto is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
I lift the bow of the dinghy up to the stern rail and tie dinghy handle to rail. Then run lines from each carrying rope on sides of dinghy to stern cleat on each side. Only the aft end of dinghy touches the water.
I like the idea.. how does it work in a fallowing sea.. Any problems
Old 09-19-2010

I used to tow way back (30-40 feet), but lately have been towing close, with the dinghy almost touching the stern. Seems to generate less drag, but i'm not sure.

How far back does everybody else tow? (i keep my o/b on the dinghy)
Old 09-19-2010

I used to tow way back (30-40 feet), but lately have been towing close, with the dinghy almost touching the stern. Seems to generate less drag, but i'm not sure....

How far back does everybody else tow? (i keep my o/b on the dinghy)