Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010

OKCUBye is on a distinguished road
oops...me bad...sorry about the doubling posting, didn't know the first one took...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2010

OKCUBye is on a distinguished road
Soul...PMed you
Old 09-30-2010

SpawnyWhippet is on a distinguished road
I'll join the queue advising you not to tow, apart from the added drag, fuel consumption and reduced speed, it is not good for the dinghy.

I lost my first brand new inflatable rib this way - towing overnight in reasonably calm weather, when the light came up, I noticed that I was towing only the D rings from either side of the dink. Boat long gone.

I recommend you to investigate snap davits like these if you don't have room to hoist it onto the foredeck:

snapdavit.co.uk/inflatable.html

I'm not affiliated in any way and don't recommend these above others, but they've worked well with 9ft ribs on my 43' Beneteau and my fathers 36' Hunter.
Old 09-30-2010
Capt Ron

southwindphoto is on a distinguished road
I hate this new flashing ads
Old 09-30-2010
joni duncan

snb25 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb dingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwindphoto View Post
I hate this new flashing ads
hi ..ive been towing my 6' rubber dingy with a old nylon "painter" for a long time ,so had the previous owner......no losses just a1" line 20' long ...the soft bott rubber dingy is over 20 years old.....maybe just dumb luck......also one should look behind them on a regular basis.........luvs joni
Old 01-26-2011

Aasem is on a distinguished road
This is a no-brainer. Adjust the towing line so the dink is surfing down your stern wake--pick a wave, any one. There is so little drag you can grasp the line with your eyelids and it won't pull free. Let out more line so it's clawing uphill, and two hands aren't enough to hang on some times. People who claim towing dinghies reduces their speed are, well, not smart.

Don't get me wrong: I don't claim that towing dinghies is smart--but sometimes it's both necessary and safe.
Old 01-26-2011

SpawnyWhippet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aasem View Post
People who claim towing dinghies reduces their speed are, well, not smart.
I respectfully suggest you think about that for a second. How can towing something not slow you down?? And if there was so little stress on the dinghy, how is it that so many are lost or discovered floating at sea minus their D-rings? I personally have lost one and my father alone has found 2 at sea in the last 5 years.
My boat cruises at 7-8 knots; when I have to tow the dinghy it's more like 6-7 knots and there is no way I can pull the dinghy towards the boat by hand at that speed.
Old 01-26-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet View Post
I respectfully suggest you think about that for a second. How can towing something not slow you down?? And if there was so little stress on the dinghy, how is it that so many are lost or discovered floating at sea minus their D-rings? I personally have lost one and my father alone has found 2 at sea in the last 5 years.
My boat cruises at 7-8 knots; when I have to tow the dinghy it's more like 6-7 knots and there is no way I can pull the dinghy towards the boat by hand at that speed.
Well, towing a dinghy so that it is in the same position relative to the waves as the mothership puts a lot less strain on the dinghy hardware...but a lot of people don't do it. It will still cause drag, but it won't put as much stress on the dinghy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There is so little drag you can grasp the line with your eyelids and it won't pull free.
Do some dinks plane better than others? I have a wooden pram that does not have a flat bottom. It rows well, but seems to be sucked into it's own wake while towing.
Old 07-07-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
heavy dinghy

OK a lot of you say store it. (davits, dinghy tow, foredeck) I have a 14' Achilles (commercial with heavy wood flooring) and old 1987 25 HP OB.
The whole set-up probably weighs 350lbs. Love the speed and 8+ person capacity of this old thing.
How do you lift that dinghy on a sailboat??????? Just getting the 175lbs OB on and off on dry land is a bugger let stand in a sea or even calm water.
Therefore she must be towed, but how is still for me to find out. I'll try reverse towing with OB and transom out of the water thid weekend, as regular towing (no matter where as to wake) slows me down by 20% (1 to 1.5 KNTS) Even though she's heavy I can always pull her up close and know she is safe as that is what the Marines use.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.