SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Emergency Lists

7K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  Omatako 
#1 ·
As I armchair-sail until the lake is liquid again, I read about various emergency scenarios, and wonder if I would remember to do all that I should in those situations. I was thinking of making a basic list of emergency situations with actions that should be taken. I would keep a laminated copy that I (or crew) could refer to. This would only serve as a basic checklist to make sure I don't forget something obvious in a stressful situation. For example, my list may include these categories: Boat sinking, COB, steering failure, heavy weather, rigging failure...
What do you think should be on a basic emergency list?

#2 ·
I recently read an article in the New Yorker that explained how important these types of lists are in the medical field. With doctors checking items off the list and nurses given the authority to speak up if an item is skipped the hospitals which have adopted this procedure have seen dramatic reductions in simple errors. Simple errors often can be life threatening in the hospital, probably on board during an emergency, too.

I have one list on my boat: a laminated sheet of how to call in a mayday with all the pertinent information for my boat included. It resides next to the VHF and the GPS and I show it to everyone who has never been on my boat. If anything goes wrong anyone can call in a correct mayday with the correct information and GPS coordinates.

#3 ·
Barquito,

I have a number of written emergency procedures that are kept in a crew briefing book I ask everyone who's coming for more than a daysail to read cover to cover. In addition to things like "how to operate the head", the book has tabbed sections dealing with things like:

"Emergency Radio Communications" -- basically a MayDay checklist like the one Soulesailor mentioned above as well as simple instructions of how to operate the radios.

"Fire in the Boat" -- a brief discussion of where we're likely to have fire, where the fire extinguishers are located (w/ a diagram of the boat's interior showing locations), how to use the fire extinguisher, use of the forward hatch as the secondary escape route, etc.

"Water in the Boat" -- a discussion of likely sources of flooding, a diagram of where all thru-hulls and how they're operated and other possible sources of flooding, a note to "taste it before you panic", where the pumps are and how they're operated, etc.

"MoB" -- a section written from two perpectives -- what to do if you're aboard and what to do if you're the MoB.

"Storm Preparations" (Harbor / At Sea) -- which is basically a list of things to do before everything breakes loose

"Abandon Ship" -- which is a brief "how to" of preparing and launching the life raft, location of ditch bag, a list of what else to grab, if there's time, etc.

When I get to it, I plan to add a section on "Emergency Signals" (flare operation, light signals, etc.)

In addition to the above, there are other sections on "Watch Standing", "Log Keeping" and something we called in the Navy "Night Orders", which are the standing rules on the watch's operational discretion, when to wake the skipper at night, etc.

I have a series of checklists for crew briefings (topics to cover in an oral briefing) for day sails, overnight coastal passages, and offshore passages, and a set of checklists titled "Pre-Departure Checklists for Coastal and Offshore Passages", which covers all the maintenance and inventory checks that are needed before getting underway.

I also have a few laminated diagrams of the boat's interior plan showing the location of all the safety gear, first aid supplies, fire extinguishers, pumps, thru-hulls, etc.

All of this info and well as some practical stuff (like how to use the head, operating the stove, etc.) is kept in one book, "The Red Book", that's always in the same place.

Some of the above info is written in the form of a simple "checklist", while other sections are more expansive and I try to inform the crew of the logic behind the actions to be taken to deal with an emergency. For example, how you deal with a flooding situation depends on a number of things (source, volume, etc). What you do first depends on the specifics of the situation, so I try to explain that logic so that, if I wasn't there or was incapacitated, the crew would stand a good chance of doing the right things first.

Lastly, there is a checklist and information in a book entitled "TO DO if BR is OVERDUE" which I leave at home with my daughter. This has info on when and how to contact the USCG, what to tell them, a copy of the IPIRB registration, info on our safety and communications gear (that the CG will want to know), info on contacting HAM nets who might be able to help and info for contacting and filing a report with BoatWatch.

Where do you get all the info? Read a lot, surf the web, talk to other sailors, and then think through what you'd do and try to write it down as if you were looking over the crew's shoulder helping them think through what to do. It's a great winter project.

#4 ·
Barquito,
Emergencies that require immediate action the list doesn't help, afraid you have to have a list to remind you where the list are and which one to use for each scenario.
Practice and thought and clear headed thinking are what works.

#5 ·
I also have a book which I call my Tactical Pack. It has details on all the emergencies as well as the other things as mentioned above. I also include a stowage plan and sizes of fitting etc.
Chuckles is correct, it is not designed to be looked at during the emergency but it is for new folks onboard to read and old ones to review. It also becomes a checklist if needed when **** happens.
It is a great way of organizing your thoughts so that at least one person on board has considered many of the possibilities.

#6 ·
Chuck,

I disagree! Why is it that every commercial aircraft in the world carries emergency checklists? It's absolutely correct that "practice and clear headed thinking" are critical in emergencies, but when the adrenalin cuts in the most experienced pilots will go immediately to their checklists. Similarily, I know of few navies in the world that don't have their SoPs (standard operating procedures) to guide routine and emergency actions.

Nothing wrong with a checklist and nothing wrong with looking at it in an emergency.

#8 ·
Chuck,

I disagree! Why is it that every commercial aircraft in the world carries emergency checklists? It's absolutely correct that "practice and clear headed thinking" are critical in emergencies, but when the adrenalin cuts in the most experienced pilots will go immediately to their checklists. Similarily, I know of few navies in the world that don't have their SoPs (standard operating procedures) to guide routine and emergency actions.

Nothing wrong with a checklist and nothing wrong with looking at it in an emergency.
You are absolutely correct Billy. The IA's (immediate actions) are done based on training, then the co-pilot or other bridge officer goes through the checklist so you don't forget anything. There is always time to check you haven't forgotten something in the heat of action.

#7 ·
Makes perfect sense to me. While it might be 'difficult' to find and read during an emergency, having an organized group of pages makes the review practice easier.

"I know that if there is a thump in the night and water coming in or if an unexpected list occures, I aint readin!"

#9 · (Edited)
A first hand sea story....

Motoring along 75 yards to windward of a reef. Sail cover's on because we're only going 5 miles. Engine quits. I rush below to find out I've forgotten to fill the day tank that day (Forgot to check my list of "Daily Routines"). I quickly determine that I've run the engine dry. No time to pump the day tank and bleed he engine, so I rush to the deck, roll the jib out and the mate does her best to keep us parallel to the reef while I go below to start with the fuel and engine. On my way below I notice that the little red light that comes on when the water pump is running is lit. As I'm working with the engine it stays on...so I leave the engine work for just a minute to see what's up with the pump. Pull up the floor board and the bilge is full of water. I mean really full...almost to the underside of the sole. Oh SH-T, we're sinking! About this time, with heart racing and my wife about ready for a nervous breakdown I remember Step #1 of the "Water in the Boat" checklist: Taste it! It was sweet and I relaxed and went back to the engine. All for naught, because the mate did such a good job at the helm by the time I had the engine running she'd cleared the reef and was enjoying a nice downwind run with the jib flying. A few days later a rain storm allowed us to fill the tank that had been pumped into the bilge through a broken pipe fitting.

Failure to check a list created the "emergency". Remembering one prevented outright panic.

And there's a new entry in the SoP on Billy Ruff'n. We don't motor anywhere now without some sail up.

#19 ·
A first hand sea story....
And a good one, Billy. I've heard that "taste the water" advice before...it's easy to forget that a completely emptied water tank might put the boards awash, but won't drop the waterline a millimetre...;) (in fact, it might stiffen up the boat a bit and clean out those hard to reach spots!)

#10 ·
While the lists are a good idea, from a practical standpoint... they're not all that useful during an actual emergency, unless it is immediately accessible.

A better idea is to think about all the different emergencies and how you will respond to them if they should occur. Discuss this with your crew and hopefully, this will keep the points in the black box and prevent you from needing to actually follow them up.

#11 ·
The list would be a great way to practice for an emergency. So that you know what to do.

#14 ·
You can't practise an emergency

Nothing that you do when you practise will even resemble what you will need to do in a real emergency. If you believe that the situation when things go badly wrong will be as you expect it then I respectfully suggest that you're going to experience an unpleasant surprise.

A real emergency starts insiduously and accelerates at astonishing speed and normally draws in a cocktail of things going wrong in a totally random sequence. What you can't practise or predict is which elements on your boat are going to fail to complete the cocktail. It will never be one thing.

Andre

#12 ·
Considering that all pilots have and use checklists...One has to wonder how big boater egos must be that no one wants to ever be seen with a checklist. Oh, wait, those are the macho boaters who refuse to wear PFDs and are found floating in the water after falling overboard with their zippers undone, aren't they?

I'm not saying you need to have and use one all the time, but I think everyone I know says "Ooops, well, I forgot I haven't done this all winter" the first time after launching. Me inlcuded!

So, a list to "prepare for sea" "secure for docking" "secure for heavy wx" "abandon ship" "prepare for helicopter rescure" "call for rescue" "collision damage control" "flloding/leak" etc. would be the least set. "Man overboard" only counts of the guy who went over owes you money.<G> If nothing else, they help newbie guests to understand what might need to be done, and familiarize them with the boat. Having a vague memory of something you've read, sure beats having no idea at all of what you might have to do.

A helivac, by the way, calls for some simple but totally non-intuitive steps and if you ever need to call one in--having it documented and being able to tell the helo that you've read and followed the prep, will make both them and you feel a whole lot more comfortable with what happens next.

#15 ·
I think I was misunderstood.

I have the lists, including visio diagrams and photo's I made up all in my own little book of SoP's on my boat.
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YDK8R9...qtn7JpSuVTe_a4jn1PnUT01ZJw/gemini storage.vsd

No Navy guy operates without SoP's.

I don't know if most of you will be able to open that - it requires visio 2000.

Emergency to me means the IA (immediate actions) of pilots - the things you do when you don't have time to read a check list. Like how to turn on the bilge pump, how to use a fire extingiusher, man overboard etc..
For those you train until you get it right without thinking.

When time permits you read the list it's not an emergency, it's just urgent.

#16 ·
"To me it's more important that everybody understands how to properly use the head because that's the most common disaster you'll experience "

WW2 subs used to have the instructions for using the head mounted on a large placard right inside the head compartment door. Talk about complicated...and a REAL lousy way to start the day if someone got it wrong.<G> Andre's right, you gotta have priorities.

#18 ·
Thanks

Thank you all for the good ideas. It looks like I need to differentiate emergencies that can be thought through (with a list), and ones that need to be responded to right away. This, no doubt, is a continuum. A checklist for what to do in a knockdown will only be useful for review prior to the event, whereas, a list for preparing for a squall that is a few minutes away might help a lot (put the hatch boards in!) at the time.

#20 ·
Chuckles-

Your link is busted...

BTW, most emergencies aren't one big thing going wrong... they're usually a bunch of little ones going wrong, one after the other, and if you could have stopped any one of them, the whole thing would have turned out much better...but generally, when they start to go wrong, it's is way to late to fix any of them.

#22 ·
I thought a couple of sample list would have been a good idea to post. I know for one, I be interested in seeing them.

Reactions: chucklesR
#23 ·
Free Sail, that is probably the best idea I've seen here on sailnet.
I will work mine up prettier and post them, list and detail. While each skipper will of course write for his own vessel comparative analysis is and will be useful.

Kudo's.

#24 ·
I have my TacPac in a Word document and I am happy to post it or email it to anyone. While it is specific to my boat, it is still a reasonable template for others.

#26 ·
Here is a list I came across.

PRE-DEPARTURE CHECKLIST -

Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs)
At least one Coast Guard approved device per passenger and a minimum of two on board.
An additional throwable device is required if the vessel is more than 16 feet long.
Explain the location and use of all PFDs to passengers and crew that may be new to the vessel.

Sound Producing Devices (Whistle)
Must have a horn capable of producing a four-second blast audible for at least 1/2 mile.
If a portable air horn, have a spare can of air or an alternate device.

Lights and Shapes
All navigation lights as required.
Instrumental lights working.
If you intend to engage in an activity that requires a day shape, have the required shapes.
Flashlight on-board.

Distress Signals
Accessible flares, day signals, etc., stored in a dry location.
Carry signals at all times even if not required by the Coast Guard.
Inform the crew and passengers of their location and their use.

Tools and Spares
Basic tool box on-board.
Box of spares aboard, e.g., fuel filter, light bulbs, head parts, through hull plugs, etc.

Ventilation
On any powered vessel or auxiliary powered sailboat, or vessels using LPG for cooking or heat, check that all interior spaces are well ventilated before departure.
If fuel smells are detected before ventilating, check after running the blowers for several minutes before starting.
If odor persists, stop and look for the source of the leak.

Fire Extinguishers
Accessible fire extinguisher. Do you have at least those required by the U.S.C.G.?
Check to be sure mounts are secure and functional before departure.
Take the time to point out locations to passengers and crew.

Fuel and Oil
Are your tanks topped-off?
If not, have enough fuel to provide a reasonable margin of safety for your return.
Check the engine oil and coolant level.

Bilges
Check to be sure bilges are reasonably dry and that pumps are not running excessively.
Clean up any spilled oil or waste in bilges so as to prevent overboard discharge.

Battery Care
If you have a dual charging system, is the selector switch in the proper position?
Is the power on to the entire vessel?
Spare batteries for accessories such as a handheld radio, flashlight, portable navigational aid, etc.
If they are rechargeable, are they charged?

Weather Forecast
Did you check the weather forecast?
Radio on board to receive weather updates.

Docking and Anchoring
At least one anchor set up and bent-on to your anchor line.
Two or three extra docklines in case of unusual conditions dockside.
Visually inspect the lines you use for chafe or wear.
At least two fenders on-board for docking or towing if required.

Documentation
Have the ship's papers, radio license, fishing permit, etc. on board.
Have the chart or charts for the area you intend to cruise in, regardless of your level of local knowledge

#27 ·
I still can't believe some of you guys say, in an emergency a checklist is useless. When I used to run simulators for the shuttle (ok it was as a counselor for space academy, but we took it very seriously and we ran the exact same equipment, documentation, etc. as the real guys), if $hit hit the fan you'd be doing whatever gut reaction it was to correct with one hand and one eye, and scanning the SOP book with the other hand and eye, and telling ground control (or in the case of sailboats the admiral) to figure out what the hell just happened (but always in a calm collected manner).

So, saying SOP's are useless in an emergency is BS. Yes you need to be taking corrective action, but only until you can find the SOP for that situation, then you let the calm rational person who wrote that SOP take over.

An example, your sailing at night and your crewmate is taking a leak off the stern and slips and falls in. First, you throw the MoB stick etc., then you hit the MoB on the GPS, then get her turned around to try to find him. If you lost sight of him (likely) you grab the SOP book and radio, call a mayday, and find your list, start at the top and with one eye, run through it, while continuing the search with the other. If you didn't have a list, what if you forgot to grab the radio and call a mayday, or you thought, oh, I'll find him, it's not an emergency I don't need to call in a mayday yet. Your brain really doesn't function that well when your body is throwing chemicals into it and you're hyperventilating, so don't trust it. Sailors are pretty much on their own as far as safety goes, and so are shuttle pilots. So if NASA says when you are falling to earth in a brick with wings that are essentially for show and you only have about 45 seconds before you form an expensive crater that you really need to look at a checklist, I think you've got time on sailboat going 5 knots.

Caveat Umptor: When we ran fire drills or single SRB failure drills, we got to the checklists about the time we had completed the second to last item on the list.

#29 ·
If you're the kind that runs around screaming Whaddawedo?... then I hope you're not singlehanding or even sailing as half of a couple...you'll need three or four competent crew to take care of you...and you really shouldn't be captain. :)

#32 ·
"E" Lists

One of the good things about setting up checklists are that you can add/modify scenarios and actions as you need to. Fresh Water and Salt, Daylight or Dark, Sail or Power - some will be the same and some will be different and all can be changed. At the least you have an idea where to start until your list is complete. As you make up your list and PRACTICE what your reactions will be, you can modify and note the things that don't work as smooth as they should. Take ALL the lists you can find, catagorize them, add them together and then you have a good starting point to fit your boat.
Just my .02
Chuck

#33 ·
Hi,

I'm new here and relatively new to sailing offshore.

I find that list a great idea, as my next trip to the balearic islands will have 3 newbies on board. So the check list is a good thing for the briefing and emergencies.

Does anyone have a list that I could start with? (I would have to adjust it, as I charter boats each holiday, but basic principles apply)

Cheers

Mad from munich, Germany

#35 ·
The fact that there would be a debate about emergency lists surprise me. Having worked in the nuclear business for nearly 20 years I can testify to their necessity. We have flow charts for just about every scenario that can be imagined. The first thing I did after buying my boat was to develop emergency procedure both written and in flow charts. They are invaluable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.