Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rup-

While I can't say how much it should cost you, since it depends a fair bit on the market and the size of the sail, a proper reef would have the cringles (large grommets) at the edges and regular grommets along the reef. Also, the cringles would be set in a heavily reinforced area... so they'd have to apply re-inforcing patches to the sail at the reef. This is so the cringles can take the load of the reef and spread it along a larger portion of the sail so the sail doesn't tear out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Rup,

installing cringles for reefing is simple and cheap. but to be done properly you need to request from whom ever will do the following things:

1) the cringles must be good size to passa reef line thru them, I have seen sails with reef cringles so small that limits the size of the reefing line, that has to be thick enough for hand confort.

2) The cringles should be applied over a strip of hard resistance material, that is sewn onto the sail, not just in the sail, this is to spread cringle loading onto a wider surface. (see the strip I talk about in below photo).

3) The cringle area should creata a patch, formed by triangular sections of sail cloth, all sewn in the sai, with the wider part of the triangle where the cringle is. (see photo bellow)

4) A larger rectangular patch should be sewn directly onto the sail to beef up the area. (see photo bellow)

That is how it should be done, and what you should require from your sail maker...these features I mentioned here no only prevent sail tear and rip, they also make sure you can still trim a reefed sail with out it deforming, which would happen without the all the above items.

do not settle for less. This is a properly done job. If you have any more questions let me know

Old 03-26-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
How old is your main - it may be time to replace it and if so, have the reef points put in as it's built and they will be correct. I having a new main built at Hood Sails and they are putting in three reef points - it doesn't add much cost when making the sail.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 03-26-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
If this is an old sail, it probably won't pay to have reef cringles installed as the sail may not hold up to tension on the reef in high winds, Just buy a new main w/ reefs - spend the money; its a boat that is what its for.
Old 03-26-2008
Supa Saiyajin

Rup is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. I am not certain of the sail's age but presume it to be somewhere in the 5-10 year range due to it's condition and the boat's history. It seems to be in fairly decent condition.

Giu, I can't seem to find the photo you refer to. (My settings have the view images box checked) Is there something I need to change?

As far as putting in the cringles and grommets, it seems to me that someone with basic sewing skills and engineering sense could likely put them in without too much difficulty. Is there something else about it that would make DIY a bad idea?
Old 03-26-2008

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
For that year and size boat, you might have a roller fulling boom and not realize it. My Helms 25 has one. Does the gooseneck swivel at the boom connection? Is the main sheet attached to a swiveling tang at the end of the boom? If so, its a roller boom and was made to manually roll the sail around the boom. I don't use mine except as an alternative to flaking the sail for storage. I bought a new sail with the latest designs like 2+2 battens, loose foot, sail slugs, draft strips and two nice reef points. It was time for a new sail. Less than a $1000.
1976 #552
Old 03-26-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It shouldn't cost more than $100/reef to add them after the fact. Unless you plan on doing long passages I'd just get the clew and tack grommets and reinforcement put in. There's rarely the need to get bothered about the series of "reef ties" and they are often misused causing the sail to tear. If present they should only be used to loosely gather the flaked reefed portion of the sail.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-26-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
But in the mean time drop the main sail and shift the jib back to take its place. Practice it in calmer waters first. Then you can be prepared for those higher winds.
Old 03-27-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup View Post
Giu, I can't seem to find the photo you refer to. (My settings have the view images box checked) Is there something I need to change?

Rup, please click here, and tell me if you can now see it.

Alex
Old 03-27-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup View Post
As far as putting in the cringles and grommets, it seems to me that someone with basic sewing skills and engineering sense could likely put them in without too much difficulty. Is there something else about it that would make DIY a bad idea?
A home sewing machine would probably not have the power to sew through as many layers of sailcloth and strapping as would be necessary to do the job. I do some sail repairs on my "heavy duty" home sewing machine, and it wouldn't have enough power for that job.

I saw a botched sail repair job that someone did to a friend's sail last year, and the sail was ruined. We all like to economize when we can, but some jobs are better left to the pros, who have the tools and know-how to do the job.