Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, Washington
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 11
The closest situation I've been in, compared to your writings, is when I, along with my brother and father charted a Newport 27 out of Long Beach for Santa Barbara Island. I had been to Catalina previously, but not to Santa Barbara Island.
We spent our fist night at the Isthmus on Catalina, and headed to Santa Barbara island in the morning. As we continued west, the seas and wind increased, and wound up becoming steep 8 ft seas and 25 knot winds. The boat, with its tired sails, was unable to make much progress to windward.
As we entered into early evening, we became concerned that we wouldn't make the island in time, so we started the outboard and began to motorsail.
The outboard wasn't much use, as it was out of the water as much as in, due to the seas.
My father became seasick, and I started feeling a bit less than well. As evening fell, we could make out the profile of the island, but it soon became obvious, that while we were only a few miles off the harbor, we wouldn't reach it by dark.
So, after taking 12 hours of a beating to windward, we turned around and headed back for the Isthmus.
It was a wild, thrilling sail, with the wind and seas at our back. We got back to the Isthmus around 3:00 AM, and fortunately found a mooring so that we didn't have to hassle with the anchor.
I'm proud of the decision we made to turn back. I hope and trust that I will make the same decision if faced with similar circumstances.
1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"
"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown