Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008

madman2525 is on a distinguished road
you guys do realize that I meant checking the chaing after achoring, and I did not support the full speed aproach?
Old 04-18-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I generally just point the bow to a soft spot on the shore and run it up as far as I can, dropping a anchor off the stern about 100 feet out so I can kedge myself off in the morning.
If the anchor drags, no worries, the boat being ten feet up the beach holds me.
There's no fear to running aground if you are already aground Saves on dinghy gas too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Madman..relax..we're just kidding...
Old 04-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That explains the grass stains on the docklines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I generally just point the bow to a soft spot on the shore and run it up as far as I can, dropping a anchor off the stern about 100 feet out so I can kedge myself off in the morning.
If the anchor drags, no worries, the boat being ten feet up the beach holds me.
There's no fear to running aground if you are already aground Saves on dinghy gas too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-18-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I tried this and nearly spilled my drink. I still haven't seen my wife.
Old 04-18-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
I enjoy not using my motor as much as possible, especially since it is a small outboard that can be a real hassle to put down in the lazarette well and hook up to the gas tank. As I get better at sailing I find myself using the motor less and less, including dropping the hook. How can I be sure my anchor, a 33lb bruce on 5/16" HT all-chain rode, is properly set without backing down with my engine? When I backwind my mainsail my boat veers off to the side more than it goes straight back. I haven't had any trouble so far but it seems like dragging your anchor is like going aground, everyone does it eventually. I want to be safe and practice good seamanship.

Soule..because I already got an "hate email" from a loser here at sailnet I am almost sure who he is, for my joking with you on this thread, I will hence forth provide a serious answer to your question, as the law requires:

My humble opinion in this matter is:

Sail to the spot you want to anchor, then simply heave to..forget the BS of sailing and droping, and runing and all that....and all the rest too...once you got to where you want to stop, simply heave to...then calmly, as you stopped and are now drifting sideways at a ridiculously slow speed, pour some wine, scratch your head, look like a pro, wave good bye to the losers around you....and drop the anchor...SIMPLE....then, as a confirmation that you anchor actually is holding, the boat will turn to the anchor..at this point, drop the genoa, then drop the main..

Done with class and right technique you'll look like a pro...

Alex

PS If you don't know how to heave too SEE HERE..There's a video there on how to heave to...thanks

PS2 to the coward hate mail emailer..blow me you yellow liver bastard

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-18-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2008

swadiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Soule..because I already got an "hate email" from a loser here at sailnet I am almost sure who he is, for my joking with you on this thread, I will hence forth provide a serious answer to your question, as the law requires:

My humble opinion in this matter is:

Sail to the spot you want to anchor, then simply heave to..forget the BS of sailing and droping, and runing and all that....and all the rest too...once you got to where you want to stop, simply heave to...then calmly, as you stopped and are now drifting sideways at a ridiculously slow speed, pour some wine, scratch your head, look like a pro, wave good bye to the losers around you....and drop the anchor...SIMPLE....then, as a confirmation that you anchor actually is holding, the boat will turn to the anchor..at this point, drop the genoa, then drop the main..

Done with class and right technique you'll look like a pro...

Alex

PS If you don't know how to heave too SEE HERE..There's a video there on how to heave to...thanks

PS2 to the coward hate mail emailer..blow me you yellow liver bastard
Giu,

Nice, easy and simple. I will try this next time. Thanks Giu

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 04-19-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Giu, that is a nice, simple method I'm looking forward to trying this summer. The knockroach technique sounds like a blast only I'm not too interested in spilling my drink.

Chuckles, I tried beaching my boat once. It leaned way over to the side and was difficult to climb below and refill my tumbler. Plus we don't have any soft spots on shore here in Maine.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 04-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails
Swadiver..I do really like your signature...a rare thing thses days of excessive cliché signatures...may I use it sometime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
Giu, that is a nice, simple method I'm looking forward to trying this summer. The knockroach technique sounds like a blast only I'm not too interested in spilling my drink.

Soule..you´re welcome...the knockroach method requires some skills....the other one doesn´t...
Old 04-19-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Giu, heave to looks nice, but I have one question:
When you heave to the boat moves about 45°off the wind and not downwind.
So the chain is laid 45° wrong.
Is this a problem or can we neglect it

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising