Anchoring under sail - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 04-18-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
you guys do realize that I meant checking the chaing after achoring, and I did not support the full speed aproach?

sailing is an expensive way to spend a spartantic holiday
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
madman2525 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 Old 04-18-2008
Senior Member
 
chucklesR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena Md - Magothy side
Posts: 5,979
Thanks: 10
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
I generally just point the bow to a soft spot on the shore and run it up as far as I can, dropping a anchor off the stern about 100 feet out so I can kedge myself off in the morning.
If the anchor drags, no worries, the boat being ten feet up the beach holds me.
There's no fear to running aground if you are already aground Saves on dinghy gas too.
chucklesR is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 22 Old 04-18-2008
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,851
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 13
         
Madman..relax..we're just kidding...
Giulietta is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 22 Old 04-18-2008
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 14
         
That explains the grass stains on the docklines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I generally just point the bow to a soft spot on the shore and run it up as far as I can, dropping a anchor off the stern about 100 feet out so I can kedge myself off in the morning.
If the anchor drags, no worries, the boat being ten feet up the beach holds me.
There's no fear to running aground if you are already aground Saves on dinghy gas too.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 22 Old 04-18-2008
Senior Member
 
Valiente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,491
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
I tried this and nearly spilled my drink. I still haven't seen my wife.
Valiente is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 22 Old 04-18-2008
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,851
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 13
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
I enjoy not using my motor as much as possible, especially since it is a small outboard that can be a real hassle to put down in the lazarette well and hook up to the gas tank. As I get better at sailing I find myself using the motor less and less, including dropping the hook. How can I be sure my anchor, a 33lb bruce on 5/16" HT all-chain rode, is properly set without backing down with my engine? When I backwind my mainsail my boat veers off to the side more than it goes straight back. I haven't had any trouble so far but it seems like dragging your anchor is like going aground, everyone does it eventually. I want to be safe and practice good seamanship.

Soule..because I already got an "hate email" from a loser here at sailnet I am almost sure who he is, for my joking with you on this thread, I will hence forth provide a serious answer to your question, as the law requires:

My humble opinion in this matter is:

Sail to the spot you want to anchor, then simply heave to..forget the BS of sailing and droping, and runing and all that....and all the rest too...once you got to where you want to stop, simply heave to...then calmly, as you stopped and are now drifting sideways at a ridiculously slow speed, pour some wine, scratch your head, look like a pro, wave good bye to the losers around you....and drop the anchor...SIMPLE....then, as a confirmation that you anchor actually is holding, the boat will turn to the anchor..at this point, drop the genoa, then drop the main..

Done with class and right technique you'll look like a pro...

Alex

PS If you don't know how to heave too SEE HERE..There's a video there on how to heave to...thanks

PS2 to the coward hate mail emailer..blow me you yellow liver bastard

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-18-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Giulietta is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 22 Old 04-18-2008
Senior Member
 
swadiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alta Loma, Ca.
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Soule..because I already got an "hate email" from a loser here at sailnet I am almost sure who he is, for my joking with you on this thread, I will hence forth provide a serious answer to your question, as the law requires:

My humble opinion in this matter is:

Sail to the spot you want to anchor, then simply heave to..forget the BS of sailing and droping, and runing and all that....and all the rest too...once you got to where you want to stop, simply heave to...then calmly, as you stopped and are now drifting sideways at a ridiculously slow speed, pour some wine, scratch your head, look like a pro, wave good bye to the losers around you....and drop the anchor...SIMPLE....then, as a confirmation that you anchor actually is holding, the boat will turn to the anchor..at this point, drop the genoa, then drop the main..

Done with class and right technique you'll look like a pro...

Alex

PS If you don't know how to heave too SEE HERE..There's a video there on how to heave to...thanks

PS2 to the coward hate mail emailer..blow me you yellow liver bastard
Giu,

Nice, easy and simple. I will try this next time. Thanks Giu

Scott

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig


The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
swadiver is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 22 Old 04-19-2008 Thread Starter
blue collar cruiser
 
soulesailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Casco Bay, Maine
Posts: 370
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Giu, that is a nice, simple method I'm looking forward to trying this summer. The knockroach technique sounds like a blast only I'm not too interested in spilling my drink.

Chuckles, I tried beaching my boat once. It leaned way over to the side and was difficult to climb below and refill my tumbler. Plus we don't have any soft spots on shore here in Maine.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.


who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
soulesailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 22 Old 04-19-2008
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,851
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 13
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails
Swadiver..I do really like your signature...a rare thing thses days of excessive cliché signatures...may I use it sometime?




Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
Giu, that is a nice, simple method I'm looking forward to trying this summer. The knockroach technique sounds like a blast only I'm not too interested in spilling my drink.

Soule..you´re welcome...the knockroach method requires some skills....the other one doesn´t...
Giulietta is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 22 Old 04-19-2008
Senior Member
 
tomaz_423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Giu, heave to looks nice, but I have one question:
When you heave to the boat moves about 45°off the wind and not downwind.
So the chain is laid 45° wrong.
Is this a problem or can we neglect it


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

finished cruising after two years.
tomaz_423 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy weather sailing sailorfrank Learning to Sail 26 09-10-2013 06:32 PM
Sloop, Cutter or Ketch jsgsail Boat Review and Purchase Forum 17 12-26-2008 02:47 PM
Headsail Reefing Basics Brian Hancock Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 08-05-2004 08:00 PM
Considering a New Mainsail Brian Hancock Cruising Articles 0 04-29-2004 08:00 PM
Sail Trim Steve Colgate Learning to Sail Articles 0 05-10-2000 08:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome