Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2002

JEBmadre is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Dear Bruce

Dying while sailing is not a Great Way To Go

Having a good life, sharing it with family and friends, and when you are old hopefully one night you will hug your beloved, go to sleep and when you awake, you will be on the "other side" whatever that side maybe to you.
Trust me, I am Jamie''s mother...it was not a great way to go at 34

TO ALL OF YOU WHO SAIL:

If you are old enough to be out on open water, you are old enough to be taking responsibility for your own actions. No one, not a Captain or an owner, bears the responsibility for your own actions..you do.

Jamie is/was a professional. He loved what he did. He sailed with a great crew and skipper. He lived his life full tilt. Yes, I wish he had worn his vest, so take heed.

Take the extra minutes to do what is right for the safety first rule.

No one should have to receive the phone call at 11 o''clock at night, that asks, Are you (fill in YOUR name ) ''s mother?
I have always been proud to be his mother, that night what I would have given to be able to say no, you must want someone else

Sail well, sail safely

Kathleen C. Koppenhoefer

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
PFDs--all the time?

Although I never knew your son, as a fellow sailor, I am deeply saddened by your loss and the poignancy of your hert felt post. Thank you for taking the time to share with us, and obviously care about what happens to us even in your own time of loss.

Respectfully
Jeff Halpern
Old 06-22-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Kathleen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feelings with us. I know you did so because of your heartfelt hopes of wanting to save another family member the pain of that phone call. We appreciate it so much.

I did not know your son personally, but I am sure he was, and still is in memory, a great sailor and a joy to you and to those he met and befriended.

Let us hope that those who read your words take heed, and put safety first.

My heart goes out to you, and may you never, ever be without a Kleenex when the need arises.

Love,
MaryBeth

Old 06-25-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

I am saddened to be posting this thread. A member of our club day sailing within the Bay on a beautiful day lost his life on Friday. He had removed his shirt to work on his tan on one of the few nice days we have had this year.

This man wore his floater coat most of the time while sailing. The irony is that the day he didn''t he was knocked off the foredeck and into the waves. On the typical husband / wife boat it takes some time to do the many things necessary to get the boat under control and around to pick up a man overboard. In this case they were running downwind in about 20 knots. He was lost sight of and not recovered until too late. He was not a strong swimmer. He was concious when he went in an a PFD would definitely have made this an eye opening exerience rather than a tradgedy.

We met his wife last night at the funeral home. She is very determined to campaign to have us all much more aware of the dangers in sailing and the benefits of being prepared.

It can happen even on a cruising boat on a great day inside your home bay. Very scary.

With saddness,

Mike
Old 06-25-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Mrs Koppenhoefer and Mike

My sincere condolences.

Mike, thank you for the post to remind all of us that you can be swept away anyplace, anytime.

Your post has made me solidify one of my main rules into a cardinal rule for my boat: No one goes on deck without a SOSpenders harness/life vest.

I have purchased an additional one and may just go get more. The rule will be a BOAT RULE, with no exceptions. I feel it IS my responsiblity as the boat''s owner and Capt. People just will not wear life jackets, they will wear SOSpenders.

Thank you

John
s/v Invictus
Old 06-26-2002

bmcald is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Mike,

Sorry to hear of the accident. Where did this happen? What time of day?

Condolences,
Bruce
Old 06-26-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Bruce,

This happened in Tatamagouche Bay, Nova Scotia in the middle of the afternoon last Friday. As it is currently lobster season there were plenty of lobster boats around. It was a typical sunny day where we all sail. It could have happened to ANY of the boats in our club.

Earle was laid to rest yesterday. He was the man the cliche "It couldn''t have happened to a nicer guy" was written for.

Mike
Old 07-19-2002

tbradyjd is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

I own four Sospenders auto-inflator offshore PFDs. While changing the bobbins recently, I noticed a bad cylinder gasket. Local boat stores did not have this item. Am awaiting shipment from Halkey-Roberts or Sporting Lives. Suggest (i) all users check gaskets carefully when servicing auto inflators and (ii) H-R or SL include gaskets in rearming kit.
Old 08-22-2002

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

I own and use both the SOSpenders harness and the waist-pack inflatable (for whoever is the stronger swimmer, since they require a bit of skill to use) described above. They are so convenient that it is easy to insist that my passengers wear them. 30 seconds of instruction and everyone feels better. If I took my enemies out on my boat, maybe I wouldn''t; but these are my FRIENDS. That alone justifies the cost and the minimal maintenance.
Old 10-01-2003
Mr. Bill

e-27 sailor is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

I''m reluctant to add anything to this discussion after Kathleen''s posting. But I wear a PFD (auto-inflate SOSpenders w/harness) full time, all the time. I wear it for my personnel survival, because if I end up in the water, even dock side, it''s serious. I also want to set the example for all those who sail with me, and always offer a PFD to everyone. The leader-skipper sets the tone on the boat, but personal safety is an attitude.
I''ve served with the Air Force as a transport pilot for 26 years. During this time, I''ve always worn seat belts & shoulder harness, but have only occasionally needed it; worn a nomex flight suit, but have never been on fire; and have always pre-flighted my oxygen system, but have never had a rapid decompression. Military pilots are quick to judge those who get killed during flight operations. I think it''s a way to internalize and acknowledge the hazards of flight, and try to rationalize our limitations to control all situations.
So I wear a PFD. I never want someone saying "too bad he drown, I wounder why he wasn''t wearing that $200 auto-inflating PFD"