Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

While underway, I wear my PFD (auto-inflate SOSpenders) and have one for the Admiral, and she usually follows my example. When we have adult guests, I show them where the life jackets are, and tell them it''s their choice to wear them till either the main is reefed or when the deck is awash - at which point they MUST be donned while on deck. All children (14 and under) must wear them regardless of where they are on the boat, even whiled docked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2003

kckoppe is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Never be reluctant to further a good cause!
Glad to hear you wear your PFD
Jamie was so full of life, like so many of you who sail.
in his memory a foundation was started to raise funds for safety at sea programs, with particular emphasis on young sailors, and a scholarship fund as well
to date over 50k as been raised and working with a PFD mfg a special JEB jacket is being sold with a portion of the profits going to these programs
additionally we have donated jackets to youth programs and the us olympic sailing team
2 critical success factors to educating everyone on the importance of safe sailing
is to teach them properly while they are young and for prominent members of the sailing community to take a leadership role and educate by example..
if the "big dogs" do it, the pups will follow

so to all you sailors, fair winds and safe sailing, enjoy each moment on the water, just do it in such a way, that you get to go home to your families that love you

Kathleen, Jamie''s mom
Old 10-14-2003

cpcohen is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Since I started sailing (about 6 years ago), I have _always_ worn a PFD in the cockpit and on deck. It''s an inflatable, not too heavy, not too bulky.

It''s a boat rule -- guests wear something too (no inflatables for them, yet).

In Lake Ontario, down and up and down the ICW, around the Gulf Coast, through the Strait of Georgia, good weather, bad weather, under sail, under power --

ALWAYS !!!!!

Why would anyone do anything else?

The same story keeps happening:

"X, a very competent, much-loved sailor,
went overboard and drowned when he
wasn''t recovered quickly enough."

I made my PFD rule in the wake of such an accident in San Francisco Bay, when another racer fell off his boat during a race and died. I figured if it could happen to him, it could happen to me. And I wanted to change the odds in my favor. That''s the best you can do, and it''s also your obligation to loved ones.

Old 10-14-2003

PFDs--all the time?

I was on a Tin Can for nearly four years, and crossed the Atlantic eight times. In spite of rough seas, the crew rarely donned their life vests. Besides for General Quarters, only those going over the side were required to wear them.

Seems to me the Navy has the experience to know when to let its personnel decide what is best for themselves. I follow the Navy''s policy as well. I wear my PFD, but do not require adults to do so, unless there''s a reef in the main, or the decks go awash.

In a similar vein, I wear my helmet and nomex suit when I put my car on a race track, but I don''t wear them when I drive on public roads, although it''s probably safer to drive on a track. :^(

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 11-15-2003

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Having been a lifeguard and swimming instructor who has taught thousands of people to swim, I fail to understand why "he was not a strong swimmer" should appear in the obit. of a sailor.<P>All this talk about life vests is good, and generally leans in the right direction, but let me humbly suggest that the <em>first</em> and <em>best</em> <u>safety skill</u> around the water is the ability to swim. This fact is so obvious that I think it is overlooked.<P>The truth is that I can fall off my boat any time, and it''s the time I least suspect that can lull me into complacency about wearing a PFD. But as long as I am conscious and not disabled, I will never be without my ability to swim.<P>I wear my SOSpenders whenever my boat is under way, but consider:<br>$200 spent on a PFD, or the same money spent on swimming lessons (this amount will get you quite a bit of instruction through your local recreation department): which offers the more lasting value? If you want to talk about a "belt and suspenders" solution, this is it.
Old 11-15-2003

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Having been a lifeguard and swimming instructor who has taught thousands of people to swim, I fail to understand why "he was not a strong swimmer" should appear in the obit. of a sailor.<P>All this talk about life vests is good, and generally leans in the right direction, but let me humbly suggest that the <em>first</em> and <em>best</em> <u>safety skill</u> around the water is the ability to swim. This fact is so obvious that I think it is overlooked.<P>The truth is that I can fall off my boat any time, and it''s the time I least suspect that can lull me into complacency about wearing a PFD. But as long as I am conscious and not disabled, I will never be without my ability to swim.<P>I wear my SOSpenders whenever my boat is under way, but consider:<br>$200 spent on a PFD, or the same money spent on swimming lessons (this amount will get you quite a bit of instruction through your local recreation department): which offers the more lasting value? If you want to talk about a "belt and suspenders" solution, this is it.
Old 11-15-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

Just how long do you think you can swim in even 70 degree water.. I sail in a lake that changes it''s temp from 75 degrees in the blazing heat of summer to near 40 degrees in the winter chill. I want to tell you right now with or without a PFD you will die if left long enough for 40 or 75 degree water to lower your core tempature too much.. And don''t think it takes alot of time. It''s best to make it near imposible to end up over board. Put on some arangement of harness and jack lines have a rope dragging behind you, have a ladder in place or ready to deploy from the water. You can''t swim at 4 knots as long as a boat can sail at that speed. Don''t pin your life on your ablity to swim.
Old 11-19-2003

c172guy is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

I am all for the ability to swim!!! I taught my children before they were 5 and gave them drown proofing instruction also. I personally hate wearing a PFD. But when the water is cold and conditions rough I''ll wear one. But that is no substitute for being able to swim. A liveaboard at our marina told an interesting tale. He was working on his boat tied to the dock slipped and fell into the water. He had been reckless and was at the dock without a PFD. Anyway he could not get out of the water. The boats had high freeboards and the dock didn''t have any ladders. He finally swam across the turning basin and climbed into a dingy. This was summer with warm water. It could have ended tragically in the winter. Non swimmers should be required to wear a PFD when within 50'' of the water.
Old 11-19-2003

PFDs--all the time?

I agree that non-swimmers should wear a pfd when they''re on a boat. However, I don''t think requiring adults to do things a certain way "because someone thinks it''s right" works.

The best we can hope for is that folks will heed the advise of those who know what''s best. As the cliche goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can''t make it drink." Adults are supposed to know better, even if they don''t always use good judgement, they still have "free-will" and we shouldn''t deny them the right to use it. Society has already established quite a few ''rules'' of what we can do, where we can do it, and who we can do it with. It strikes me funny that we Americans say we love freedom, but yet we like to impose our values and way of thinking on everyone else. :^(

also, there are rare occasions when the ''right'' thing to do is worse than not doing it. Wearing a seatbelt in a vehicle that bursts into flames is an example. Besides, if everyone did what was right, there wouldn''t be any ''Darwin Award'' contestants. ;^)

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 11-19-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
PFDs--all the time?

I agree that adults should have free will. Now here is where the big BUT comes in.. If I offer to take anyone sailing thet surrender alot of thier freedom to the judgement of the captian ME. Since I (as captian of my boat) am responsible for everyone on my baot I make the rules.. All the rules. It may sound harsh but that is the way it is and should be for you too. I am NOT a taskmaster but when I give an order that is ment for the safty of those on my boat it is not up for discussion. If they never sail with me again so be it at least they are alive to make ther choice. If the captian say PFDs all the time it''s that or no sailing. I force no one to board mt boat I do force my rules on safty no exceptions.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.