Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008

EdHouston is on a distinguished road
Guys you rock

I got it we are going four on six off staggered two hours.

All five of us have lots of experiance racing together inshore and off but this schedule gives us great coverage with strong help at all watches.

thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Have fun... post a story with photos of the trip when you're done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-18-2008

nonsailor is on a distinguished road
Sorry for what may be the stupidest question ever, but do you have to keep watch whilst at anchor.
Old 04-18-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
nonsailorSorry for what may be the stupidest question ever, but do you have to keep watch whilst at anchor.

We post anchor watches in hasrsher conditions or when we feel weather may become a threat. Usually the watches are more for other boats dragging on us. But we also want to be sure we stay put. When we are at this level of watchkeeping we are on two anchors probably visited by a quick dive to make sure they are good sets.
Old 04-18-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsailor View Post
Sorry for what may be the stupidest question ever, but do you have to keep watch whilst at anchor.
Thats ok, no such thing as a stupid question. Rather have you ask and be safe then getting in trouble. So ask away. Been on boats where we pulled 2 hour anchor watch.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 04-18-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Long offshore runs with two or three is the most grueling for crews, when sailing for many days to weeks at a time. I would never do a long passage by myself (I'm not a glutton for punishment), and a crew of two is not really my cup of tea, but three is very workable. On a three person crew each person has to take a 4 hour watch, which lets them have 8 hours off. 8 hours off may sound like a lot of time, but it's not when you consider what their off duty routine would be. 1 hour to help the new watch get comfortable, and to let the old watch wind down from their watch. 1 hour to change clothes if needed, get something to eat, and clean up after themselves. 1 hour of private time before sleep, but could include sleep. 5 to 6 hours of sleep...then up and at it again for another 4 hour watch. Three people can do 3 on and 6 off, but for long periods of time (weeks) this system will begin to break down. There is not a lot of interaction between the crew, as it's more like ships passing in the night at watch change. When the watch rotation is broken by someone, someone will have to pay the price on their watch because of lack of sleep...and that's the watch when bad things might happen. The person on watch should not call on the off duty watch, unless it is a serious problem or they need relief. More than 3 for a crew changes the whole complexion of the watch system, and makes a long passage much more enjoyable.
Old 04-19-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
Sailor 1 has been at the helm for two hours, sailor 2 comes fresh off of rest period and takes the helm for two hours and sailor 1 stays in the cockpit for two hours as the lookout. etc, etc.
I normally have only one helmsman who works a 24 hour watch every 24 hours. It's a Raymarine ST6001. The rest of the watchkeepers (my wife and I) do what they're supposed to do, keep watch (on a 4 on 4 off routine)

Don't you guys have autopilots?

Andre
Old 04-19-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Don't you guys have autopilots?

Andre
Autopilot...what's that?
Old 04-19-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsailor View Post
Not if you have a good GPS - just set the anchor alarm on your GPS and take a nap.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 04-19-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I like to keep two in the cockpit at all times and use a 2hr watch, 2hr backup schedule so each person spends 4hrs in the cockpit.