Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A GPS anchor alarm is not a substitute for a proper anchor watch, especially in heavy weather, or with reversing currents/winds. It also isn't adequate in fog or when other boats are nearby and may drag down on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
Not if you have a good GPS - just set the anchor alarm on your GPS and take a nap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I normally have only one helmsman who works a 24 hour watch every 24 hours. It's a Raymarine ST6001. The rest of the watchkeepers (my wife and I) do what they're supposed to do, keep watch (on a 4 on 4 off routine)

Don't you guys have autopilots?

Andre
A autopilot doesn't help any when at anchor. It kinda needs wind from sails or a motor running and prop is engaged - drifting is not enough action for a autopilot to work to begin with...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Last edited by artbyjody; 04-19-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
A autopilot doesn't help any when at anchor. It kinda needs wind from sails or a motor running and prop is engaged - drifting is not enough action for a autopilot to work to begin with...
My apologies. I wasn't aware that this thread was about anchor watches. I was thinking about actually sailing for longer than 12 hours.

But since the thread has already been hijacked I agree with SD on the dodgy side of using GPS for anchor watch. Unless you set it to quite a large distance your other problem is just swinging on the anchor with a change in tide or wind.

Andre
Old 04-20-2008

nonsailor is on a distinguished road
Sorry if I hijacked the thread, it was an impulsive question that I hoped would be answered with a simple no.
Old 04-20-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
You guys can sleep when on the boat? I can't; I'm like a kid before christmas... Let's go sailing, let's go sailing, let's go sailing (Comparable to a dog that wants to play with the tongue is all the way out...)

I'd say, not from experience in sailboats but from other experiences, keep the most experienced guy(s) in rest during day time, unless there is a need for him(them) and get him(them) to operate at night time when the experience is most needed...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 04-20-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A GPS anchor alarm is not a substitute for a proper anchor watch, especially in heavy weather, or with reversing currents/winds. It also isn't adequate in fog or when other boats are nearby and may drag down on you.
We would only consider anchoring in the most ideal conditions and in places that most people don't go - if we are on the move and the weather is bad, we just keep going, even somewhere that we could put into a sheltered anchorage. Traversing the ICW, if you put into a bay, you are probably the only one there and GPS works just fine - as long as you aren't trying to get by with some $99 wonder. And if you use the two anchor theory, you are very unlikely to drag. Fog? Not down here!
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 04-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
New England waters see fog on a very regular basis. I also don't believe in the use of cheap ground tackle... strikes me as really dumb... given all that is riding on the stuff. My ground tackle is probably a bit overkill for a boat the size of mine...but that's okay in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
We would only consider anchoring in the most ideal conditions and in places that most people don't go - if we are on the move and the weather is bad, we just keep going, even somewhere that we could put into a sheltered anchorage. Traversing the ICW, if you put into a bay, you are probably the only one there and GPS works just fine - as long as you aren't trying to get by with some $99 wonder. And if you use the two anchor theory, you are very unlikely to drag. Fog? Not down here!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-20-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
New England waters see fog on a very regular basis. I also don't believe in the use of cheap ground tackle... strikes me as really dumb... given all that is riding on the stuff. My ground tackle is probably a bit overkill for a boat the size of mine...but that's okay in my book.
Thought I'd post the correct answer for sailing on the Gulf Coast and traversing the Southern ICW - Why? because that's where EdHouston, the guy that started this thread is going to be. Also, my note on $99 specials is cheap, worthless GPS's that some people buy. As to anchors, I couldn't agree with you more - I carry 5 anchors aboard Paloma, 3 rodes each with 15 feet of chain - so that for the few times that I anchor, I always have the right anchor. However, being down on the Gulf Coast, we typicallyeither go day sailing in the Gulf and come back to the marina, plug in the AC and enjoy life, or head out into the Gulf for a long trip to some another port along the Texas or Mexican coastlin. In the ICW, in many places you can ground your bow into the windward bank and either tie off to a tree or throw out a lunch hook into the shallow water.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 04-20-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
How did a thread on Watch Schedules turn into one on anchors? Cam needs to get out the cat.

Although the OP has set his watch schedule, I offer the following:

Sailing w/ five makes it easy on the watch standers and hard on the cook. When we have five on a passage I'll usually ask one person to do all the cooking and galley clean-up and in return they stand no watches. The other four crew members are 3 hrs on, 9 off.
Old 04-20-2008
Telstar 28

IT was because someone asked an OT question about anchor watches... so not completely off-topic...but.....

Telstar 28
New England