Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2002

walt123 is on a distinguished road
Celestial Navigation? Forget it!

This subject is being beat to death. Good sailors are prepared in all instances. I personally don''t sail with fools..enough said!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road

Good for you, Walt.

But perhaps you may be overlooking the fact that many (ok, some) who visit the board seem to be those fairly new to sailing that want to have the best advice possible as to what to not only buy (money, money) but to learn in order to enhance their sailing experiences. Everyone has a different dream, a different vision of where they want their sailing experiences to take them. Some are happy to beat the guy at the next dock in the weekly races, others want to cruise the seas, yet others are happy for the lovely daysails on their lake or just outside their inlet. Yes, good sailors are well prepared for all instances, but while some take to sailing like a duck to water, others need to work at it a bit in order to become good sailors. While this has seemed to have turned into a drawn out discussion of the pros and cons of relying solely on electronics, perhaps those you would have considered fools have taken some of the discussion into account, and will learn more because of it. If you yourself don''t need the information, or have anything to add to the discussion, don''t click on the link.

And I do agree with you, don''t sail with fools.

''Nuff Said,
MaryBeth
Old 07-03-2002

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road

I remember reading in a most fastenating book, the biography of Tanya Aeibi and the story of her adventures sailing alone around the world. In it she used a sextant and could never get it to come out correct. After a great length of time trying to learn what she was doing wrong, Tanya finaly realized the plastic sextant was wharped. So much for accuracy.
Please forgive the spelling of Tanya''s name.
She is a contributing writer for sailnet.
I also recommend reading her book.
Old 07-03-2002

928frenzy is on a distinguished road

My friend has a plastic sextant while I have an aluminum one made in Russia. We once did a side by side comparison, and the saying, ''you get what you pay for" was proven true once again. The funny thing is, I didn''t pay that much more for the Russian sextant (made in 1972, and which I found on ebay) than he paid for a new top-of-the-line plastic unit. Also, the Russian one came with a scope that can be set to 4X or 8X magnification. Now if only I knew how to read cerilic?! ;^)

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 07-18-2002

hilega is on a distinguished road

While I am new to sailing, here are my thouhgts: I fly (airplanes) and I think this is sort of on the same line......when working towards your private pilots license, the instructor teaches you and makes you use chart navagation. This means that the aeronautical chart''s on your lap, a plotter, and a flight computer (non-electronic), a pencil, and a timer. That is it. Of course he sits in the right seat with his GPS and knows exactly where we are, but that is not the point. Somethings you should just be able to do on your own, without relying on technology. Now that said, I love the uses of GPS and all technology for that matter and will continue to use them in all of my endevors. Comparing with another hobby of mine (motorcycles), they say to "dress for the fall, not for the ride." Plan for the worst (while thinking positively , and always have a backup for your backup. Just my thoughts
Old 08-05-2002

darius is on a distinguished road

What books would you recomend to read about navigation?
Also which sextants would you consider good quality?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2002

Steven Holland is on a distinguished road

You are an idiot!!!!
Gps can be scrambled in a second...
You should not even call yourself a sailor.

You know why you don''t like Celestial? Because you are to self centered to learn.

Captain steve
Old 08-21-2002

jbarros is on a distinguished road

>What books would you recomend to read about
>navigation? Also which sextants would you
>consider good quality? Thanks

Well, from one amature to another.... (yes, thats a disclaimer)

So far, the two best resources I''ve found on celestial navigation are in order:

1.) the head of my local YC, who has taken the time to help me out with it a bit, and
2.) Chapter 9 of William F. Buckley jr.''s book "Airborne" in which he pauses in the telling of his transatlantic tail so as to give a 20 page disertation on celestial navigation. Reading this gave me enough of a jump start that I was able to get a rough fix, and from there, I''ve been playing, and bugging the head of my YC.

As for a sextant, I''ve been using a cheap plastic one and been getting fixes which are good enough for me to navigate by.

My best advice would probibly be (and this is the first time I''ve been able to say this in a while) do exactly what I''m doing. Find someone who knows what they''re doing, borrow thier gear, and have them teach you.

Then get your own stuff and go from there (thats next for me)

-- James
Old 08-22-2002

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road

If those advocating the jettisoning of sextants in favor of the convenience and accuracy of GPS receivers are going to be consistent in their argument and intellectually honest, they will also have to rip out their magnetic compasses, since they also work on a natural principle that takes skill to master and interpret precisely, and since a GPS unit makes them just as obsolete as a sextant.

Hmmm. . .
Old 08-23-2002
JeffH

I don''t think that is intellectually honest either. While I don''t advocate abandoning traditional navigation techniques, a magnetic compass is a critical part of sailing a course between fixes (GPS or otherwise) and for piloting functions.

Respectfully,
Jeff