Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Plumper can look up the allison with the M/V Dewayne T. Williams, off Little Creek, VA with an SL-7, the name I forget-I think it was the old SeaLand MacLean. The Pilot-Ledger had some hilarious coverage of it.

I did not state that our vessel, at anchor, was held responsible. I stated that the Master of the other vessel was absolved of responsibility, not at all the same thing.

Boasun and Plumper are both incorrect, not only on the danger signal but on the use of 'Romeo' (one short, one long, one short). The rules specifically describe where and when these are to be used and neither covers an anchored vessel in good visibility. It does not matter what you or I think the rules mean, it only matters what they actually say.
Old 06-17-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
RoR trivia: prior to the 1970's revision of the Colregs the danger signal, in international waters, was only allowed to be used by the privileged vessel. The Inland Rules on it were much the same as today.
Old 06-18-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
To me this is all a bunch of poppycock...and the rules should all be thrown out and rewritten and made simpler like most of our laws today...

Here we cant even agree on what the intended purpose or procedures are....All a bunch of nonsense and too confusing ...

When Im out I make it my duty to avoid EVERYONE...I could care less who is supposed do what...I try to stay out of other peoples way..period...

I enjoy fishing out of small power boats and one of my biggest pet peeves is a sailboat that thinks I should move for them..When Im sailing I know how hard it is to pull gear and or change course if your fishing a rip...Its much easier for us sailors to change our course..IF you dont have room to do that then you should not be sailing but motoring..or on the oars..

If any boat dosent see you or respond to any signal means you have and its in your power to move out of the way you should do it period...rules be hanged..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
Holy moly... I created a mess wow...
OK here is some more details; we were having lunch without anchor and the motor was off... We are in the middle of nowhere with no other boats around us... And the s/v was approaching heeled down most probably making a small runabout in a blind spot...
We are talking about a power boater guy who is the worst seaman I've ever seen, I needed to open the plastic package of the lifejackets to put them on on our way back, who not suprisingly doesn't carry an anchor ball or any day signals...
All I had was my habit of keeping an eye around, common sense and my whistle...
This being the case, the sailboat could make a course change about 5 degrees and go around us, which they did. I was wondering how to signal someone to warn them about your location...
My fear is that when I'm on my sailboat underway slowly on power or stopped for lunck without dropping the anchor, a powerboat that is in plowing mode may not be able to see me though I carry proper day signals... After all a 22 foot sailboat sits low on the water and when the sails are down it can be hard to notice if you are staring to sky...
Sound signals (in my boat that would be a handheld horn or boat's horn) can be hard to hear if there is a mercruiser blowing beneath someone...
Visual signals are confusing for most powerboaters since they don't really know what it means...
VHF radio message may not work since their radio is most probably off or they can't hear it due to engine anyways...
Oh f... it, I'll just move my boat away... There is no sense trying to warn a powerboater...

Common sense is safer than the colregs...

Sorry to create a turmoil ...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 06-18-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
As far as I can see, the Rules do not give a specific signal for an anchored vessel, in good visibility, to sound when concerned about the risk of collision with a vessel underway. It is my opinion that five short blasts would be appropriate. If I was in a vessel underway approaching an anchored vessel and heard five short blasts I would take notice and consider what I was doing.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 06-18-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
To me this is all a bunch of poppycock...and the rules should all be thrown out and rewritten and made simpler like most of our laws today...

Here we cant even agree on what the intended purpose or procedures are....All a bunch of nonsense and too confusing ...

When Im out I make it my duty to avoid EVERYONE...I could care less who is supposed do what...I try to stay out of other peoples way..period...

I enjoy fishing out of small power boats and one of my biggest pet peeves is a sailboat that thinks I should move for them..When Im sailing I know how hard it is to pull gear and or change course if your fishing a rip...Its much easier for us sailors to change our course..IF you dont have room to do that then you should not be sailing but motoring..or on the oars..

If any boat dosent see you or respond to any signal means you have and its in your power to move out of the way you should do it period...rules be hanged..
There is a nuke plant cooling lake near me that I used to row on a lot. It's not far from my house to a free boat ramp and the fishing is good. There are lots of bass tourneys held there. Quite often I would be rowing along a weedline trolling a crankbait and come on a bass boat that was obvioulsy in a tourney headed the other way using a foot controlled trolling motor. I had every right to continue along the weedline. I did not do it. I would swing out to deeper water with room to spare and come back in behind them. There is something to be said for courtesy. Besides, it's nice to have air in your tires when you get back to the ramp.
Old 06-18-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Boasun and Plumper are both incorrect, not only on the danger signal but on the use of 'Romeo' (one short, one long, one short). The rules specifically describe where and when these are to be used and neither covers an anchored vessel in good visibility. It does not matter what you or I think the rules mean, it only matters what they actually say.
Oh Golly Gee whiz!! I have been teaching my students all the wrong things. And they are in terrible, I say terrible danger out there now.
But Wait! My Instructor's Guide has been vetted by USCG and other instructors. And we discuss this little incidences all the time and Use Court findings where possible to show how the Rules are interpreted

Sorry but when you are at anchor and about to be hit by another vessel. You are allowed to use any means available to alert the other vessel of the danger involved. As in accordance with Rule 2B General Prudential Rule. That allows such a departure from the rules. I prefer a paint ball gun myself to attract their attention (Just Kidding).

And how many of you know morse code and know the single letter signals. And what would you do if you did receive the signal "OJ"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 06-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
And how many of you know morse code and know the single letter signals. And what would you do if you did receive the signal "OJ"?
Look out for the "real killers"?

Worry that they will be asking for me rum next?
Old 06-18-2008

Chirp, chirp, chirp...

I am thinking of asking the admins if I can change my forum name to "ThreadKilla".

What does the "OJ" signal mean?
Old 06-18-2008
Swabbing the deck

Watermelon is on a distinguished road
ThreadKilla! You'll have to check out this thread... Username

OJ (Oscar-Juliet), i imagine would be man overboard, vessel on fire, keep clear?