Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
With a 27 ft, you could just about walk it down port side finger pier and shove the bow around, then jump on and reverse the stern into the wind a bit more, then shift to forward and drive it out. I've handled my old 30 foot like that with good results (depends on just how strong that prevailing wind is).
In higher winds, springing off the upwind finger pier piling is the best way, I'd have a spring to the downwind piling ready to slip the first couple of times just as a safety. Also put a nice fluffy fender on the upwind finger pier piling so you can rotate around on it and not your gelcoat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
The same post by the same person was put on cruisersforum.com a couple of hours before here and attracted 5 replies within an hour.
It takes some time to write detailed responses. Time which is wasted if the question has already been answered elsewhere.
Old 07-02-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
The same post by the same person was put on cruisersforum.com a couple of hours before here and attracted 5 replies within an hour.
It takes some time to write detailed responses. Time which is wasted if the question has already been answered elsewhere.
I guess the OP is not entitled to more than one opinion?
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 07-02-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I cannot echo Martha's advise enough. Listen to us women! Learn how to spring in and out of any docking situation. Practice this until you get it down cold. I am glad to see I am not the only crazy person who's springlines are a different color than the rest of the lines. Mine are red. Easy to find. With dockline helpers or newbies, it is easy to give out instructions that are EASYLY understood by everyone. Jack Klang videos and books are a must in every sailors library. Losing control of your boat is not a good situation under any circumstances. You will hurt something more than your pride or ego if things go badly astray.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 07-02-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good idea having your spring lines a different color than the other dock lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
I cannot echo Martha's advise enough. Listen to us women! Learn how to spring in and out of any docking situation. Practice this until you get it down cold. I am glad to see I am not the only crazy person who's springlines are a different color than the rest of the lines. My are red. Easy to find. With dockline helpers or newbies, it is easy to give out instructions that are EASYLY understood by everyone. Jack Klang videos and books are a must in every sailors library. Losing control of your boat is not a good situation under any circumstances. You will hurt something more than your pride or ego if things go badly astray.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
I agree with ChucklesR, even though we have lots of room behind Paloma to back out, we walk her out of the slip and give her a hard shove in the right direction before stepping on and motoring on our way.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 07-02-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
I agree with the prior posts regarding backing in. At our marina everyone backs in (both power and sail) because of very tight slips and short finger piers. We use the springlines as others have suggested to keep the boat centered while backing in, particulary in wind and also to counteract the prop walk. I also rigged fixed lines from the pilings at the end of our slip to the dock, which help to keep the boat centered when the winds and current are not cooperating. They also help to keep the neighbor's boats in their respective slips (not everyone is as careful as one would like).
Old 07-02-2008

Coreyboy18 is on a distinguished road
I also do the walk the boat out of the slip, then shove off and hop on. I have a strong current in my marina and this has been the best way for me to get out...just make sure you don't miss that step on the boat because it's a doosie if you do.

--
Corey
Old 07-02-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Why is it important to go bow out? In my slip, most times I'm able to go bow out. However, when the wind is blowing snot out of the west, I just know I'm going stern out. Either way works.

Having said that, if it is that important to you, the line methods described above are appropriate (just more work) :-)

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 07-02-2008

philsboat is on a distinguished road
To avoid the effects of prop walk I accelerate quickly with the rudder centered then shift to neutral when I have enough flow over the rudder to steer.