Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008

alameda007 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Problem leaving the dock......

hi

the attached diagram explains my problem.

when leaving the marina, due to the prevailing wind and the propwalk, I find myself being pushed out of the marina, stern first. NOT GOOD!

I am the black boat in the diagram.

I am looking for some advice on how to counteract these forces, so I just back out and head out bow first.

some have suggested backing into the slip, however all the other boats are facing bow in, and I would like to know how to do it!

thanks

jc
Attached Thumbnails
Problem leaving the dock......-slip-exit.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It would be helpful to know what size/design your boat is so we have an idea how it might handle under various conditions. Your situation is a common one as far as marina arrangements go...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-01-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
One method is to put a line over to the up wind float from about a little aft of your amidships and swing out on that line as you leave the slip. and when you are lined up for moving out of the main slip, slip the line clear of that float. the line should go from you boat and back again so you can retrive it when you slip it.
This will take practice and adjustment of where you need to place that line on your boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 07-01-2008

alameda007 is on a distinguished road
type of boat...

it is an ericson 27, spade rudder
Old 07-02-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I agree with Boasun- if your boat walks to stb in reverse and you are fighting wind you will need to rig a line to help swing her around. We had the same problem and that's what we did, it's easy after the first couple of times.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-02-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Or the easiest is to back in - which is how I solve the problem...just because everyone else goes bow in doesn't mean stern in is bad. Just usually means they do not know how to steer it in reverse... I personally, actually find its easier backing in, and a heck of alot easier getting out...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 07-02-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Second the backing in idea... the prevailing winds will help push your bow to the correct side of your slip - but you'll need to do it with some speed to start with so that you have good steerage and control. Practice alongside a drifting log or open float somewhere first!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-02-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I find it odd that the stern doesn't seek the wind as you back out. 99 out of 100 boats seek the wind going astern. In any event, the line to the dock is the seamanlike way to do it.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 07-02-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
The DVD here will show you how to rig that line for this situation and many others. I'm not much impressed with most teaching videos out there, but this one is very good. Well worth the money. Sale page for Captain Jack Klang
Old 07-02-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
I keep Jack Klangs book under my navigation table. And referred to it just recently when the wind was blowing us onto a T dock, we were wedged between two boats and needed to leave. We were the transients.
Have your home slip all set up for your return. When backing in if you have your spring line on the outer piling as soon as you get that set on your mid ship cleat your boats stern will go to that finger pier. If you have a middle piling secure your stern lines there when you leave and as you back in you can reach those and have control of your stern-side to side motion-the spring line has stopped any reverse motion and PRESTO-you're in your slip. I have my spring lines color coded and as silly as it sounds when I take people out who do not sail I put a piece of colored tape on the stanchions the spring line goes between. And I have a spliced loop on the spring line so all they have to do is drop it over the cleat. Send me a PM if you want my suggestion on how to secure your stern lines to make them easy to reach when you return. Good luck! Oh...and if you don't back your boat in at our marina...people tease you without mercy! I've often thought it might be nice to have davits just so I'd have an excuse to bow in!
Also take a look at how those around you do. The ones without lots of dings.

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37